Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007
04-01-2007, 11:46 AM,
Sweder Wrote:BTW anyone had a go at the album cover quiz on the Planet Rock website yet?
Its murder. I got 39 so far and 'hunches' on a couple more . . .

You bastard, Sweder - I'll be up all night with this. I've struggled to 20 thus far, and that's with a lot of help... 39?! You must be a feckkin' genius, or else have a hyoooooge record collection Sad

Here's what I have so far ... you probably have all these already. There are several more driving me mad that I know really well but just can't quite put a title to ... maddening!

AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Supertramp, Kiss, Yes, Cream, Bowie, Eagles, Doors, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Judas Priest, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, The Who, U2 and The Boss.

:mad: Confused :mad: Confused :mad: Confused
Run. Just run.
04-01-2007, 11:56 AM,
It will be great to meet you at the airport on Saturday 27th January and take you to the hotel. I hope you have a good time in Almería and enjoy the half marathon. By the way, there has been a problem with the translation into English. I forgot to make the changes suggested by Nigel and it doesn´t sound so good. I´m trying to have it changed but there has been a problem with my e-mail and the website webmaster. I expect it will be solved soon.

Thus, I attach the better version here.

The “Patronato Municipal de Deportes” ( Local Council Sports Department ) is organising the tenth City of Almería International Half Marathon to be run on 28th January 2007. The race starts at 10 am, and takes place over a 21.097 km urban course which is officially ratified by RFEA.

A new feature this year will be the 1st Annual 10 km FUN RUN.
Entries are limited to 1,700 participants. Advance entries accepted until 1300 (1pm) on Wednesday, 24th January 2007.

The whole website is in http://www.mediomaratonalmeria.com

FELIZ AÑO NUEVO HAPPY NEW YEAR

Antonio

05-01-2007, 03:15 PM,
Thanks for the website Andy - I'm booked as well.

I'm disappointed SP won't be there this year. Maybe you'll change your mind SP? It won't feel right without you there...

Suzie
05-01-2007, 06:03 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:You bastard, Sweder . . .
AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Supertramp, Kiss, Yes, Cream, Bowie, Eagles, Doors, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Judas Priest, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, The Who, U2 and The Boss.

[/i]
:mad: Confused :mad: Confused :mad: Confused
I'm up to 6 now (also with a little help, but you still gotta know where to look). Here's some help . . .

Alice Cooper's a DJ on Planet Rock . . .
Aerosmith's in there (udders) along with Genesis (landscape scene) and Iron Maiden (moon).

I'm struggling with row (black and white shot of a woman's jacket and the coloured wires) and row three (last one - looks like a kid or a girl holding something up to her eye) and the very last one is driving me nuts - I KNOW this album!!!

I'm leaving it for a while.
If there's any in particular getting your goat let me know
(gibber, twitch)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-01-2007, 08:33 PM,
It´s a pity SP can´t come this year. It would be great if he came as a last minute surprise. Otherwise, we´ll miss him on the bicycle taking pictures and cheering and in the meals and bars drinking and having tapas.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

10-01-2007, 09:27 PM,
Is there anything that you all would like to do in Almería? Please, give ideas to organise your stay the best I can.

Shall I book a table for the post half marathon meal? If the answer is yes. Would you like the "Club de Mar" restaurant? That´s the restaurant we went to these two last years.

I would like to take you to the Cabo de Gata-Níjar natural park if you feel like it. Perhaps the best day would be on Saturday after picking you up at the airport if the weather is good.

I´m looking forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions.

Regards

Antonio

10-01-2007, 10:05 PM,
Hola Antonio.
We were talking about the post-race meal after the Brighton 10K and I think we'd like to try another place this time if that's OK with you. The National Park sounds like a great way to stay out of the Tapas bars, although personally I would like to go back to the Bullfighter's bar at some stage.

Otherwise I'm happy just to sit around drinking coffee and eating . . .

. . . before Molly Malone's opens of course Big Grin

10-01-2007, 10:35 PM,
Hi Antonio

Thanks for the question.

Personally, I'd be happy to stay out of the bars on Saturday. No doubt we'll make up for that on Sunday evening and Monday -- so the park sounds good, though I hope you're not thinking of a bracing 30 km walk. I don't have a lot of energy to spare at the moment so need to conserve what I have. But would be happy to take a good look round, thanks. Sounds like a nice place.

Our flight is very early that morning - I have to be out of bed at around 4 a.m. so bear in mind that we'll be tired. Will probably be ready for an early night after the pasta meal.

As Sweder said, we thought it would be good to have a change from the Club de Mar this time. No problem with the restaurant, but we just fancied trying somewhere different. It would be good to find perhaps a smaller, more traditional Spanish restaurant near the sea? Failing that, somewhere in the town would be fine.

Looks like no football this year as Almeria are away at Tenerife that day. We may have to find some alternative entertainment in the evening.... Rolleyes

Looking forward to it.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-01-2007, 10:50 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I'm up to 6 now (also with a little help, but you still gotta know where to look). Here's some help . . .

Alice Cooper's a DJ on Planet Rock . . .
Aerosmith's in there (udders) along with Genesis (landscape scene) and Iron Maiden (moon).

I'm struggling with row (black and white shot of a woman's jacket and the coloured wires) and row three (last one - looks like a kid or a girl holding something up to her eye) and the very last one is driving me nuts - I KNOW this album!!!

I'm leaving it for a while.
If there's any in particular getting your goat let me know
(gibber, twitch)

Hmm, well thanks for that - I've now got 23 correct. Gah! I feel unworthy and inferior :mad: Can't hep you with that very last one - I thought it was either Moody Blues (Children's Children's Children) or Kansas (Point of Know Return) but cearly it ain't.

The ones driving me utterly mad - please put me out of my misery, despite the intense embarrassment it is going to cause us both - are:

Row 2, number 4 (smiley face)
Row 3, number 4 (fire in background) - I know this one, I'm sure I have it in my collection ... somewhere!
Row 4, number 4 (roadcase)
... see a pattern here?
Row 5, number 4 (silhouette)
Row 5, number 1 (mirrors)
Row 8, number 5 (stars and stripes) ...

Drool gibber twitch.
Run. Just run.
10-01-2007, 11:20 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Row 2, number 4 (smiley face)
Frank Zappa . . . Weasles Ripped My Flesh
Row 3, number 4 (fire in background) - I know this one, I'm sure I have it in my collection ... somewhere!
Lynyrd Skynyrd . . . Street Survivors though I could have sworn that was Curt Cobain in the beanie . . .
Row 4, number 4 (roadcase)
Shame on you!!! Motorhead . . . No Sleep At All
... see a pattern here?
Row 5, number 4 (silhouette)
Neil Young . . . Harvest Moon - this one caused me a lot of angst. I thought it was John Cougar Mellencamp 'Scarecrow', then I got Neil Young but thought it must be 'Harvest' . . . except I know that album and it's a big yellow disc on the cover . . .
Row 5, number 1 (mirrors)
ELP . . . Pictures At An Exhibition
Row 8, number 5 (stars and stripes) ...
A toughie . . . Black Crowes . . . Amorica
I now have 46 correct.
I refuse to play anymore . . . this jacket's chaffing where the arm-straps fold across and my liquidised supper's getting cold . . .

10-01-2007, 11:30 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I now have 46 correct.
I refuse to play anymore . . . this jacket's chaffing where the arm-straps fold across and my liquidised supper's getting cold . . .

I told you it would be embarrassing Sad

I knew it was Motorhead, but do you think I could find or guess the album cover?!

Grrr.

That's it for me too - the men wearing white coats are here... I don't want to go in the van...I'm feeling better...
Run. Just run.
11-01-2007, 09:29 AM,
All right. I´ll try to find another smaller restaurant near the sea or in town.

I didn´t mean to go for a long walk, just to show you some interesting places at the natural park.

Best wishes

Antonio

11-01-2007, 03:20 PM,
Hi guys

Gave up on those album covers, dark side of the moon and hotel california was about my lot.

Anyway just over a fortnight left, went for a run this morning about 12 miles, the weather is atrocious, we are at the foot of the pennines and the wind was knocking me off my feet, didn't find that out until I was half way round, so I had to keep going.

My ankle was a bit sore, I was fell running at weekend, which isn't my favourite discipline, plays havoc with my feet. I'm going to keep this week going my last long run will be towards the end of next week, then taper and get into a warmer climate.

take care

Paul
11-01-2007, 03:25 PM,
andy Wrote:Personally, I'd be happy to stay out of the bars on Saturday. No doubt we'll make up for that on Sunday evening and Monday
Oh Lord, I just had an Aqaualung flashback Eek Eek Eek
Remember? The place with (gulp) no beer at all.
We seriously need an alternative venue for Sunday evening Sad

11-01-2007, 03:42 PM,
What? No 13 hour bender in Molly's planned? Big Grin
11-01-2007, 04:24 PM,
Molly's was closed on Sunday . . . hence the Aqualung/ Jaegermeister debacle . . .

11-01-2007, 10:01 PM,
Yeah, that was one of the wackiest bars I've been in in a long time. I seem to recall Sweder throwing in the towel rather early. There are only so many large G & Ts and sickly German liqueurs one can absorb without raising suspicions about one's own sexuality. Talking of which, remember the 2 gay guys on the dance floor?

Anyway, I suspect Molly's would have been open (because we popped in there the year before on the Sunday). I think it was just that after our long lunch, the hour or so in the hotel bar, and the 2 or 3 hours in that rowdy pub near the hotel watching Celta Vigo v Real Madrid, we were just too... too tired to traipse into the town again.

This time we could jump in a cab back into downtown Almeria rather than wind up in that place again.
El Gordo

11-01-2007, 10:04 PM,
And I see that MLCM is getting his excuses in early for a no-show in 2008.

Tsk tsk.

And he had the nerve to have a go at Trescothick.
El Gordo

11-01-2007, 10:18 PM,
andy Wrote:And I see that MLCM is getting his excuses in early for a no-show in 2008.

Tsk tsk.

And he had the nerve to have a go at Trescothick.

Well, if you want to whip the hat around for me, I'm still game Smile
Run. Just run.
11-01-2007, 10:20 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Well, if you want to whip the hat around for me, I'm still game Smile

C'mon, you've got a year. Plus if you come it will be my comeback race. Eek

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,759 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,056 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,360 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,926 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  Thankyou from Almeria Heather 55 1 5,771 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Anyone from the Almeria Area? Heather 55 4 6,203 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,830 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,904 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,305 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007 Gersrunning 27 14,465 25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last Post: lizoconnortalk21