marathon nerves
22-04-2009, 01:51 PM,
marathon nerves
Im 45 and scared sh**less, as each day goes by my gut tightens that little bit tighter. Its my first, and more than likely my last marathon. My knees hurt, my calf hurts and Im finding it really hard to imagine crossing the finishing line. Can someone please tell me to pull my self together and be a man,or say some encouraging words to motivate me. Either one would be greatly appreciated .

many thanks
John
22-04-2009, 02:03 PM,
marathon nerves
OK John, pull yourself together, get a grip and remember the two golden rules when running your first marathon.

1. Start slow and get slower; time is irrelevant, finishing is everything
2. Start slow and get slower; time is irrelevant, finishing is everything

Apart from that make sure you're well hydrated (over the next few days, not just before the start) and well rested.

Oh, and enjoy it; it's a fantastic, life-affirming experience.
Then come back and tell us all about it; we love first-timers here Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-04-2009, 03:08 PM,
marathon nerves
The marathon distance has to be respected, but not feared. If you get that balance right, you're laughing.

Every year, about 30,000 people do the London marathon, and of those there are many thousands who are doing it for the first time. Among the first-timers will be many who are far less prepared than you.

No marathon training ever goes to plan. [grin] Same for everyone, every time.

Think about it -- what's the worst that can happen? That you run out of steam and have to take walk breaks, or like many thousands of people, you end up walking a lot of the last 5 miles or so. Even 10 miles. Does it matter that much? No.

A first marathon is just there to be enjoyed and treasured. This is the most important thought to focus on -- that the marathon is the prize for all the training. It's not the final punishment, the final indignity. It's the compensation for all those long runs and inconveniences. On the bus to Hopkinton the other morning, for the start of the Boston marathon, I noticed a guy with a cap that bore the legend: "26.2: the destination is the reward". That summed it up for me. You are not headed for some terrible ordeal, you are headed for a day out that will make you the envy of millions watching on TV. You're doing something that most people can only dream of.

So get out there and enjoy it. When you're on the train to Blackheath on Sunday morning, amid hundreds of other hyper, happy people, you'll suddenly realise how privileged you are to have this experience. It will set you apart. At the end of the day, you can look at that medal and say "I am a marathoner", and feel rightly proud.

Go and do it John. Fulfill your dream, and change your life forever.

And as the great ultra-marathoner before me said, come back and tell us about it. I'm desperate to hear all about it.

Good luck, and hold your head high.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-04-2009, 07:10 PM,
marathon nerves
John, I'll be joining you on the start line, for my second marathon. I can only echo, less eloquently, what the previous two highly experienced marathon runners have said. In particular, that the race itself is the reward for all of the hard work. You'll be part of an amazing festival of running, with a million people watching you in person and many more millions on TV. Bands will be laid on in your honour. You will be absolutely blown away by the atmosphere.

As Sweder said, take it easy -- so long as you don't try anything silly and injure yourself, then by hook or by crook you'll make it. Last time, I set off too fast, imagining that I could finish half an hour faster than planned. Luckily I didn't injure myself, but the last hour was tough. Save your strength, and maybe you'll enjoy the last hour a bit more than I did.

Good luck, mate. Big Grin
22-04-2009, 08:13 PM,
marathon nerves
There will be a dark night of the soul at some point; there always is. I experienced it at its most intense on my first marathon, but finished and came back for more. And choosing London for your first gives a great advantage: there will be thousands of total strangers watching who will cheer you on. They want you to finish too...and so you shall
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

22-04-2009, 08:19 PM,
marathon nerves
The others have said it quite well; but I echo their sentiments. We all worry and feel anxious before a marathon, somehow it comes together on race morning. But do take it slow, that is the most important advice. This will be the third time I'm doing London (and probably my last marathon). I do it because the crowd really does pull you along. I've never seen anything like it. Enjoy it (as much as you can). And I know at the finish you will be feeling like you've never felt before! You're a marathoner!

Suzie
22-04-2009, 08:23 PM,
marathon nerves
I agree with what everyone says. My dark journey of the soul was 22 miles in to my first and off the short training this time I will be entering the unknown earlier than before. Start slowly fuel regularly and remember you are there to enjoy yourself. Prepare to bask in the glory.

You have done the work enjoy the trip :-). The beer tastes mighty fine after as well.

Good Luck!

Peter
23-04-2009, 04:48 PM,
marathon nerves
suzieq Wrote:The others have said it quite well; but I echo their sentiments. We all worry and feel anxious before a marathon, somehow it comes together on race morning. But do take it slow, that is the most important advice. This will be the third time I'm doing London (and probably my last marathon). I do it because the crowd really does pull you along. I've never seen anything like it. Enjoy it (as much as you can). And I know at the finish you will be feeling like you've never felt before! You're a marathoner!

Suzie

Probably your last marathon? Eek Say it aint so, Joe....

The long runs you've been putting in make you sound like you're in great shape. Have you just had enough of the training?

I've probably said plenty of times that I won't do anymore marathons but I know that I will.
El Gordo

23-04-2009, 07:55 PM,
marathon nerves
Thanks everyone for everything thats been said I can honestly say its made a real difference to how i feel. Im actually starting to look forward to sunday.

Many Many thanks.

John
p.s
What time is a good time to get to the heath
23-04-2009, 08:52 PM,
marathon nerves
johnnyb Wrote:Thanks everyone for everything thats been said I can honestly say its made a real difference to how i feel. Im actually starting to look forward to sunday.

Many Many thanks.

John
p.s
What time is a good time to get to the heath

Glad to be of service Johnny... I envy you, which I hope is enough encouragement.

As for time to get to Blackheath, no doubt the literature will say something crazy like get there 2 hours beforehand. No need. On the other hand, it's nice to be able to soak up a bit of atmosphere and enjoy the party spirit. I would say an hour is a good time to have a wander round, do a few stretches, dump your bag and find your starting place. If you're there too long you might get a bit stiff if it's a cold day.

One piece of advice I'd give, presuming that you're getting there by train from cental London.... If the system is the same as when I did it, try to get the train from Charing Cross. This is a terminus, so the trains are empty when you can first get on them. Trying to join a train that's started somewhere else can be rather nerve-wracking as they get very packed very quickly, and there are always people struggling to get on, looking very worried on the platforms further down. Not a great way to settle your nerves! If you can get on quickly and get a seat at Charing X, you'll be more relaxed.
El Gordo

23-04-2009, 09:40 PM,
marathon nerves
johnnyb Wrote:What time is a good time to get to the heath
As an example, I'm planning to be there by 8.30, for a charity team photo. That should be ample time. Baggage drop is pretty efficient, then it's mostly hanging around as EG says.

Good luck!
23-04-2009, 09:46 PM,
marathon nerves
marathondan Wrote:As an example, I'm planning to be there by 8.30, for a charity team photo.

Tutus to the front please, and all damning evidence to be posted here.... :RFLMAO:
El Gordo

26-04-2009, 10:40 PM,
marathon nerves
OK johnnyb, how did you get on...?

I'm dying to know.
El Gordo

27-04-2009, 09:08 AM,
marathon nerves
What was I worried about. Someone please tell me. From the moment I got on the train at charlton and saw all the other runners my fears avaporated. I felt like I belonged. The first part of the day was not so exciting, after drinking 2ltrs of water I spent all my time at the heath Queueing for the loos,having a jimmy and then joining the queue again.
But at 9.45 my day just got better and better and better. Every step of the 26 miles I was bursting with pride, there was no longer any doubt in my mind whether I was going to finish or not. Having so many people calling out your name, telling you that you can do it you just cant help believing them. I followed the rule book and drunk half abottle of water at each station,and at ten miles I started to take my gels at every two miles. It worked for me .I fet like I could turn round and run back the other way at the end.I can honestly say if you could have that feeling that the marathon gives you everyday you would never need a woman again. Except for the ironing of course.(only joking) I even managed a sprint at the end. My time was 4hrs and 45 mins.
The best 4 hrs and 45 minutes of my entire life. Thank you El Gordo,Sweder and everyone else for all your help and advise. I first came on here in 2007 hoping to complete the 2008 marathon. An overweight unfit 44 year old with a beer belly, I think I was hoping for to much, so I passed my place over to 2009 and I finally did it.
To everyone out there who thinks Its not possible. IT IS

Many Many Many Thanks
Johnnyb
27-04-2009, 09:36 AM,
marathon nerves
JB, that post has made my day; my week; my year.

Fantastic result, well done.

Listen up everyone -- JohnnyB is a marathon runner Eek

How good does that sound? Big Grin
El Gordo

27-04-2009, 09:39 AM,
marathon nerves
johnnyb Wrote:I can honestly say if you could have that feeling that the marathon gives you everyday you would never need a woman again. Except for the ironing of course.

Apologies to all my wonderful female friends, but that is a very funny line Big Grin.

No doubt there's an easy male equivalent....
El Gordo

27-04-2009, 10:16 AM,
marathon nerves
Absolutely bloody fantastic John, I'm so glad it went well for you.

Big Grin
27-04-2009, 10:17 AM,
marathon nerves
El Gordo Wrote:Apologies to all my wonderful female friends, but that is a very funny line Big Grin.

No doubt there's an easy male equivalent....
I take it you mean just drop the 2nd sentence.
27-04-2009, 10:52 AM,
marathon nerves
Ah Johnny, you are the MAN!
Great post; makes me want to hit the hard miles again, to be sure.

It's hard to convey the depth of emotion, that amazing inner sensation when you feel truly alive for the very first time, isn't it? I think your post has gone further than most manage. A life-affirming, life-changing experience. I hope we get the chance to run together some time. Enjoy the glow Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-04-2009, 02:52 PM,
marathon nerves
Well done john, it's a great feeling isn't it Smile

(in reply to your "ironing" jibe ... I recall the wonderful comment about women needing men about as much as a fish needs a bicycle :p )
Phew this is hard work !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,755 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,055 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,231 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,356 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,922 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,901 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,299 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007 Gersrunning 27 14,461 25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last Post: lizoconnortalk21
  2008 London Marathon Places Grooms-Shaftesbury 0 2,664 14-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Grooms-Shaftesbury
  How Not To Finish A Marathon El Gordo 0 2,643 19-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Last Post: El Gordo