Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007
07-03-2007, 01:12 PM,
Hi all,

Im ger, and just joined this forum.Eek

Seems to be quite good and interesting.

Are any of you guys running in the Dublin City Marathon this year??

Ger
07-03-2007, 05:37 PM,
Welcome to RC Ger. We're a pretty fun bunch here (except for Seafront Plodder - he's the serious one of the group). Some of us even do some running occasionally... though we don't let that get in the way of a good discussion/debate/all out barney. Rolleyes

By the way, you don't have to be mad to fit in here, but it does help if you drink beer.

MLC Man (not doing Dublin).
Run. Just run.
07-03-2007, 05:53 PM,
Hi GerSmile

Wellcome, but, fast, fast, fast... tell us that you are Guiness sales representantive in Dublin or something like this, or SP will be really disappointed.

There are too many runners people here (specially his best friend) and he feels alone.

Ana (not doing Dublin either).
I am a kind of "spanish Borat", due to my English Big Grin
Ana Smile
07-03-2007, 07:48 PM,
Hi Ger -- you made it. Welcome to RC. A few more posts, and we'll let you plug your website. Wink

I think about doing the Dublin marathon every year. This year, I'm thinking about it again. Usually, summer gets in the way. It's tough training for a marathon through a summer. My resolve usually fizzles out around August sometime.

Have you done it? And are you doing it this year?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-03-2007, 09:25 PM,
Hello, Ger. Welcome to this friendly forum.

I´d love to go back to Ireland. Many years ago I went on a bicycle trip along England, Wales and Ireland. I really enjoyed it. In Ireland, we travelled from Dublin to Limerick, the ring of Killarney - which is really beautiful - Cork and back to Dublin. The people were very friendly and the scenery was fantastic.

It would be great to do Dublin marathon and meet you but it is difficult for me to go in October and as it is on a Monday it is even more complicated.

Greetings from Almería, Spain

Antonio

07-03-2007, 09:49 PM,
Yes, it's always on that Monday which is a bank holiday in Ireland.

Some people do three marathons in three days -- On Saturday, Beachy Head, a notoriously hilly and tough course in East Sussex; then they travel up to Wales for the Snowdon Marathon on Sunday. This is the highest mountain in England & Wales. Then they have to get over to Dublin for the next day, for the final marathon.

Then they drink loads of Guinness, I should think.
El Gordo

07-03-2007, 10:08 PM,
andy Wrote:Yes, it's always on that Monday which is a bank holiday in Ireland.

Some people do three marathons in three days -- On Saturday, Beachy Head, a notoriously hilly and tough course in East Sussex; then they travel up to Wales for the Snowdon Marathon on Sunday. This is the highest mountain in England & Wales. Then they have to get over to Dublin for the next day, for the final marathon.

Then they drink loads of Guinness, I should think.

It would be a great challenge to do the three of them one year although just finishing one would be fine for me since I´m not used to doing marathons.

Regards

Antonio

08-03-2007, 08:27 AM,
Welcome Ger.
Ger . . . please excuse the curtain-twitching, but is 'ger' derived from Rangers, as in, oh I don't know, Queens Park Rangers, perchance? If not please disregard this rather rude enquiry . . .

Three hilly marathons back-to-back ending in a Guinness-fest surrounded by red-headed lovelies in the bars of Dublin . . . am I still asleep??? Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-03-2007, 08:39 AM,
Sweder Wrote:Three hilly marathons back-to-back ending in a Guinness-fest surrounded by red-headed lovelies in the bars of Dublin . . . am I still asleep??? Smile

Dublin isn't hilly.

It just seems like it after the previous two days.
El Gordo

08-03-2007, 01:20 PM,
andy Wrote:Dublin isn't hilly. It just seems like it after the previous two days.
. . . or after 16 pints Big Grin Eek Wink

12-03-2007, 10:02 PM,
How are you MLC. I will watch out for the SF plodder.I like your approach and prioritising of running occassionally and then drinking beer.Sounds like a good place for a laugh.......

Welcome to RC Ger. We're a pretty fun bunch here (except for Seafront Plodder - he's the serious one of the group). Some of us even do some running occasionally... though we don't let that get in the way of a good discussion/debate/all out barney. Rolleyes

By the way, you don't have to be mad to fit in here, but it does help if you drink beer.

MLC Man (not doing Dublin).
12-03-2007, 10:09 PM,
Hi Ana,
"the Spanish Borat"..... Im scared..Pretty friendly place here.
I am not a Guinness Rep.Smile but I do quite a bit of business with them,in more ways than one.

Ger
13-03-2007, 07:45 AM,
Gersrunning Wrote:I am not a Guinness Rep.Smile but I do quite a bit of business with them,in more ways than one.

Ger
Then, you have found your place Smile
Here there is a lot of customersBig Grin

Ok, just tell me if you counts your times in miles or in kms. I have just begin my own book.
Yesterday, I am not sure, I run 4 Kms perhaps? hmmmm, no idea... but it was great.
I will told you later Smile
Ana Smile
13-03-2007, 10:43 AM,
Ana, you can count in kms . . . it is certainly the Spanish way on this site. Kms are better of course . . . the numbers are higher than when counting in miles Wink

Andy, perhaps you might consider Ana for her very own training diary here on RC . . .

13-03-2007, 03:28 PM,
She only has to ask....
El Gordo

13-03-2007, 06:32 PM,
Hmmm, it will be fantastic, open me a diary, please… Even if I can only write hyper-short reports… due to the my sad reality…

the more short the text should be, less faults. Smile

Yesterday I was running in the air for the first time (not in my life, but since a lot of years…). It was great. Unfortunately today I was too busy, impossible to post my report:mad: !
Only a little mention to my very dear companions. The victims were my nice sister and my gentle friend Jose. I put some photos that I have taken with the mobile phone (not quality, sorry). Important: lets kept it a secret because if one day they know that I have put them at the internet… they kill me, and will never came to run with me again. I am in pink, my sister wears stripes and the boy is the boy…
Running time: 45 minutes (sometimes walking)
Kms.: no idea, let’s say 4,5

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ana Smile
16-03-2007, 01:55 PM,
In some hours, I have my own challenge…
Before, I visited only swimming-pool and sauna, but now, I use to visit the treat mill room for some minutes (22, 23…) so that my own record is still 4 Kms… Rolleyes
There, I have found a poster, which says: “Meeting for going jogging at the free air, monitor available: two levels: beginners 17:30, advanced, 19:00”.
I have asked and I have appointment at 19:00!!!Eek
The reception boy told me that I will be able, as they have just beginning with this thing. I hope I will be able… At each moment that I think about it, I feel a mixture of wish and fear… I do not how to say, in French I will say: je frémis… The worst is that today I have eat too much at lunch…
Ok, I will let you know how it works.
This week I was twice jogging in the air; just with my friends (so, under-level).
Also I could change to beginner’s group next time if I am not able… but I need fast progress if I want to run Almería.
Ana Smile
16-03-2007, 02:06 PM,
OK Ana, it's official . . . you need your own RC diary!
Just ask Andy to set one up and you can have a place of your own here to tell us about your new adventures. My guess is it will be very popular Smile

I think joining a running group is an excellent idea; it will give you confidence. Something I learned when I joined the Jog Shop Joggers two years ago was I was not the fastest nor the slowest, nor the slimest nor the fattest . . . and that it did not matter if I was any of those things, because the important thing is to run and enjoy the company of others. Also, running at a pace where you can still talk (essential for ladies, I am told) is a good way to make sure you are not working too hard. If you are running too fast to talk on a training run you should slow down.

You can eat well at lunchtime if you are running at 19:00 . . . unless you mean Spanish lunchtime, which we all know can be from 12:30 until 17:00 . . . Big Grin

Good luck!!!

16-03-2007, 02:10 PM,
Well done Ana, sounds like you're pretty determined.

Don't go crazy though. It may be better to stick with the beginners group to start with -- but see how you get on.

Almeria isn't for another 10.5 months so you should be in no hurry at all. You've got loads of time. I did a marathon (42km) just about 5 months after I was at your stage. I'm not saying that was a wise thing to do, but it is possible. You've got almost a year to get to 21km. I know that sounds like a long way (and it is) but you have plenty of time.

When I get a moment later I'll give you some schedules.
El Gordo

16-03-2007, 02:12 PM,
Sweder Wrote:OK Ana, it's official . . . you need your own RC diary!
Just ask Andy to set one up and you can have a place of your own here to tell us about your new adventures. My guess is it will be very popular Smile

Hey Ana, sorry, I only just noticed your earlier post on this subject.

I'll sort that out this afternoon.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,756 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,056 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,239 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,359 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,924 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,825 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,902 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,300 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM