race report two oceans marathon
25-03-2008, 03:25 PM,
Hi guys, i had posted this report the very same day but somehow everybody was reading another "thread" and so here is the report again as a new thread:

I had a great nights sleep on friday, woke up at 4:00 am saturday and wrote a text message to my friends back home in India:

It is Time
Seize the Road
Run up the mountain
like a Goat
Seize the Day
the mountain calls
Take the Bull
by its horns
It is time
My mountain Calls !!!

And Boy ! Was it time !!!

The best decision i made was to join the sub 7 pacing group. We started the run and within a few minutes, Clem Simpson , our pacer started to walk, and I thought wow, walking this soon is great.

so on and on we went, RUNNING about a km and then walking for about 30 seconds. we had lost 2 minutes to get to the start line and yet we were soon at a 7 min/km pace. We had a very strong wind, coming straight at us but fortunately it was not sunny.

We reached 15 kms at 1:43, the crowds were great, but I swear to God that the only thought I had was that no matter what, I need to stay in-step with my pacer.

We reached the half way mark (28 kms) in 3:15, Sweder had advised that I should target between 3:00 and 3:10 , but I felt that if Runners World's got this guy to pace us, lets keep up with him.

Often times I felt that i could run ahead but i was not sure of my ability to sustain a faster pace and I was not sure about the hills to follow so i stayed in line.

As we started up chapmans hill, i was all ready to run-up the next 5 kms but 100 meters into the climb and Clem starts to walk and I think WOW, walking up this is something I would have never done on my own. And so on and on we went walking and running. The sight from the hill was something I will never ever forget, the thousands of runners in front of me, the aqua green/blue water on the left, and 40km/hr gusts of wind which threatened to blow us off the hill.

On top of Chapman, I thought of Sweder and wondered if he too was on the mountains somewhere in England as he had promised.

SO chapmans climb came and went & I was again tempted to leave the pacing team and rush the down the hill, but i reasoned that my aim for this marathon was to get an easy blue medal and there was no way that i could get anything else and that foolish speed at this point could lead to a "DNF" so i stayed on with the group.

we reached the 42.2 km mark at 5:01 , then again when we hit Constantia Nek we ran up about 2 kms and walked the other 2, i would have never ever done that if i was on my own, but here I was at 46km mark and now I knew i had it in the bag.

So I said Goodbye to the Bus and turned up the gear and ran down. I reached 50 km mark at 6:03 And then the finish at 6:44:51 . The last 6 kms in 0:41:19 .

Clem came in at 6:56 as he had promised me and I went to him and thanked him profusely. There is no way i would have finished if i had not paced with him.

THANK YOU RUNNERS"S WORLD.
THANK YOU, ALL THE PACERS IN THE WORLD.

My wife ran her 21 kms and finished in 2:47 and when we met at the finish I hugged her and cried and cried like a baby !!!

I LOVE THIS GIFT OF RUNNING. and tonight my frineds and I shall be celebrating with Guinness and I just sent them a text which said:

It was time
& I got my wish
now can we drink
like thirsty fish ?

But before I sign off for today let me tell you what i did before starting to write this note, I spent about a half hour looking for info for "Comrades 2009"

THANK YOU GUYS ! Thank you Sweder !!
SEE YOU FOR THE BOMBAY MARATHON JAN 2009
26-03-2008, 03:06 PM,
Congratulations, Amit. Beautiful report. It must have been a wonderful experience.

You made me feel I was there as well.

Greetings from Almería Saludos desde Almería

27-03-2008, 04:27 PM,
Brilliant report Amit. Congratulations.

As as fellow survivor I can empathise with your run.

Great achievement.

I would also love to do the Comrades 1 year, maybe next.

We shall see. Good luck for your next marathon.
MM Big Grin
Moyleman
28-03-2008, 11:11 AM,
Amit;

A very big well-done for the run in South Africa.

I look forward to a Thali @ Shivala (the one opposite VT) and a glass of SCJ on the streets when I'm next in town.

Luke.
27-04-2008, 05:00 PM,
Hey Amit, I hope all is well with you after your Cape Town experience.
Any idea when/ where I can register for the 2009 Bombay marathon? I've googled around but can't find anything on the next race.

Cheers!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-04-2008, 09:51 PM,
Well done Amit! Fantastic run and excellent race report. Smile
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,755 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,055 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,236 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,357 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,923 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  The greatest race on earth Bierzo Baggie 19 14,730 30-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  man versus horse race stillwaddler 2 4,741 14-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,824 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM