Silverstone Half Marathon: March 7 2004
06-03-2004, 11:14 AM,
Just getting my excuses in early.

The toe has morphed from purple and black to a fetching yellow and black, which I'm told is a good sign, but it's still painful.

At the moment, I'm still planning to run tomorrow, though the intention is very much a training run, which in my case means I'll be happy to finish within 2:30. I'm keeping my powder dry for Bath next week, when I might manage to burst through that mythical 2:20 mark.

The extra complication tomorrow is that we're running a couple of coaches up from London, and to be honest, that has become much more important than the race itself. If that goes smoothly I'll be happy, even if I end up limping through the finish, or not running at all.

Will report back in due course.

All other Silverstone reports welcome here too of course.....

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-03-2004, 05:24 PM,
I hope everything will be all right, Andy. Take it easy since you still have discomfort and you intend to run another half in just seven days.

Good luck, everybody.

Greetings from Almería

Antonio

07-03-2004, 06:57 PM,
Thanks Antonio.

It will be a while before I post up a full report as I need to rehydrate with a couple of pints, but just to say that I did get round eventually. The toe was still painful when I woke this morning, but once I started running it seemed to be OK. The first 9 miles were averaged at just under 10:30, my target, so I was pleased. Then in the 10th mile the toe started to hurt again. Not enough to want to make me pull out, but I had to take a few walk breaks to give it some relief. In the end I got over the line in about 2:24 which was about 5 minutes slower than I was hoping for, but in the circumstances, to be honest, I was quite happy with that. At one point before the race I was convinced that I wouldn't be running at all, so I'm happy to have made it to the finish.

The main task though was taking 2 coachloads of runners up there, which all went pretty well.

Overall, a good day. Will post a full report when I can.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

08-03-2004, 08:50 AM,
Andy,

The coaches were absolutely brilliant. They went incredibly smooth and made what could have been a very chaotic event, very plesant.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you much (other than asking if you needed help with the bananas and trying to get my monstrous backpack sorted). Thanks again for setting this up and allowing a traveling American to spice up his otherwise boring business trip.

Splendid work on the race, 2:24 is nothing to sneeze at, considering the pain in your toe and the nasty headwind during the last few miles of the race.

Cheers, and thanks again, dude. (customary southern californian slang thrown in for good measure).
08-03-2004, 04:07 PM,
Congratulations, Andy! If you hadn´t been injured, you could have reached your PB. I hope you´ll get better from your toe discomfort soon.

It must have been great to travel with so many runners and take part at Siverstone half.

Best wishes

Antonio

08-03-2004, 10:22 PM,
So Andy, let me get this straight... on the back of a chips, chocolate and beer diet; an on-again off-again training regime; God-awful weather; organising two coach-loads of recalcitrant runners; an injured main driving toe; and the ignominy of being called "dude", you STILL managed to run 2:24 !?!

Can I have your autograph?

MLC Man
Run. Just run.
08-03-2004, 10:28 PM,
Aw shaddup. The lot of yer. You're just being nice. (Though there are worse crimes...)

I had a very, very average run, but managed to enjoy myself and have an interesting time, which is much as I could have hoped. It was a great day out, but not a great run.

Thanks anyway.

Am just writing up the whole day's events now.

Andy
El Gordo

08-03-2004, 11:02 PM,
Hi just want to thank you for organising the coach I really enjoyed the day particularly the coach there and back!. Running is a rest for me from my normal life demands and sunday was perfect right down to the bagel and banana on the way back.
Colette
08-03-2004, 11:18 PM,
Thanks for joining us Colette, both yesterday and here. Welcome to our small-but-perfectly-formed cerebral running community.

I agree that the bagels were very nice.

Full report of the day coming soon.

Cheers

Andy

PS just noticed you have 5 kiddies and are a teacher. Crikey, and I thought I had a stressful life by being a QPR fan...

El Gordo

09-03-2004, 09:24 AM,
A good time was had by all - Way To Go Andy!
Phew this is hard work !
10-03-2004, 09:53 PM,
Hey Andy
I said running keeps me sane!!Lunatic fringe?I was very proud to be on that first bus 2.00 hours was a target for me even though someone on the tube said to me 'Oh i think I saw you I passed you at ten miles! I felt OK about my time before that. Still the day was still great and my family think it was great.
Colette
11-03-2004, 10:19 AM,
Well done on the run Andy, especially nursing a dodgy toe.

You do appear however to have forgotten that tried and tested mathmatical formula, which states that for each coach organised, the runner is allowed to deduct 7.545 minutes from his official time, I believe it's in the Doomsday Book.

If I were you I'd be emailing the organisers for an amendment. Big Grin

I now read that, not content with Silverstone, you're now off to have a Bath. Are you mad?Eek Very best of luck to all those running races this coming weekend. I may enter Hastings half on the day, which really would but my hill training to the test.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On a different matter, I've heard that there's a race going down sometime in London after FLM. Dunno the distance or date but it's a Chris Brasher memorial race for charity apparently. Something I'd love to do, does anyone have any details?

A.
11-03-2004, 10:42 AM,
Have a look at the site...

http://www.thebritish10klondon.co.uk/

have vaguely thought I might do it myself.
Phew this is hard work !
11-03-2004, 10:44 AM,
Sorry I was wrong, I think this is the one you mean.

http://www.chrisbrashermemorialrun.co.uk/
Phew this is hard work !
11-03-2004, 11:01 AM,
Quote:Originally posted by stillwaddler
Have a look at the site...
http://www.thebritish10kripoffbastards.co.uk/
have vaguely thought I might do it myself.

Hissssss.... Oooh no, not this very disreputable race.
El Gordo

11-03-2004, 11:05 AM,
Quote:Originally posted by stillwaddler
Sorry I was wrong, I think this is the one you mean.

http://www.chrisbrashermemorialrun.co.uk/

That's more like it.

But what a shame. It's on June 20th, which just happens to be when I'm away on holiday. It's ALSO the weekend that Hal Higdon is in London, so I can't meet up with him, and ALSO means I'll miss the first two weeks of Euro 2000.

Ever get the feeling you chose the wrong fortnight for a holiday...?

A pity. It sounds like a great occasion and we could have had a meet-up.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,778 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,064 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,345 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,363 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,930 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,851 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,911 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,306 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007 Gersrunning 27 14,479 25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last Post: lizoconnortalk21
  2008 London Marathon Places Grooms-Shaftesbury 0 2,671 14-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Grooms-Shaftesbury