Shakespeare Half Marathon, Stratford-upon-Avon 2004
10-05-2004, 02:12 PM,
SuzieQ - it's good to see you completed the half marathon successfully, and in good pace, even if the heat prevented you from embarking on the second lap this time. It was certainly a very hot day. I agree the 1pm start time does not work well in those conditions, even if it is more or less defined by completion of the Shakespeare's Birthday processions around the town in the morning.

How did you find the course, and what did you think about THAT hill ? It would be great to read a perspective of your race from Calgary.
12-05-2004, 01:59 PM,
Hello Nigel,

Thanks for your 'kind' words on completing the half, but you probably know how disappointing it would feel to make that decision. Sometimes the body doesn't give you much of a choice though.

And I found the course rather hilly! Even though you said only two hills, with one being not very nice - it felt like there were more inclines than that. I actually remembered what you wrote in your marathon write-up after running this marathon - how you had trained for the hills and were passing people as you continued running up...it was tough. I hate hills at the best of times and especially when I'm feeling hot and tired. I didn't let them beat me though and managed to run them all - very slowly.

I think it would be a wonderful route if you could only do it in the early morning. It's very peaceful running in the country, I felt miles away from everything.

And I did enjoy the weekend there, although it was very low key. Got to see Romeo and Juliet at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre which was great. It really is a lovely little town...next time I visit it I'll be able to participate more in everything (which would include having a pint or two in a local pub).

I'm going to try to do the Calgary marathon in July (starts at 7:00 a.m.). I didn't run for two weeks after doing the half on April 25th, but should be ok I think.
13-05-2004, 09:18 AM,
Well done, Suzie. I can certainly appreciate the disappointment you felt in not running the full marathon. If I hadn't been running for charity, I'm pretty sure I would have bailed out from the London race, however marvellous the support and enticing the prospect of meeting Andy again at the Tower of London.

Sorry also to hear that you missed your pint at The Dirty Duck this time, but delighted that you were able to catch Romeo and Juliet at the RSC. It was surely almost worth your long trip just for that experience.

We do sometimes have fine weather in this country - the only problem being that we can never predict when. Once appreciated (perhaps when not running the marathon) then the joy of a warm English spring day is a rare and beauteous pleasure indeed.

"When, in April, sweet showers fall
And pierce the drought of March ...

... And Zephirus, also, with his sweet breath,
Inspires in every holt and heath,
The tender crops, and the young sun,
In the sign of Ram, half-course has run"

Well, actually that one's from Chaucer, not Shakespeare, but it's not bad for a Spring half marathon in warmest Warwickshire.

An interesting thought, though, is what can you say to someone who is about to embark on a moderately hilly race ? "Nah, no hills to speak of, really" ? "What - are you crazy !" ? "Yes, gently undulating at the start, but the last few miles are flat.... "? "Hills, don'cha love 'em !" ? Or, "Copenhagen, yeah, it's flat as a pancake...." ? (don't worry, only kidding, Andy).

Good luck in Calgary. Just make certain first that the race doesn't head up into the Rockies. Say hi to that Bow River of yours for me, and to all my former colleagues over there at CNR ....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,841 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,069 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,793 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,379 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,945 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,934 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,939 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,353 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007 Gersrunning 27 14,552 25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last Post: lizoconnortalk21
  2008 London Marathon Places Grooms-Shaftesbury 0 2,676 14-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Grooms-Shaftesbury