Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hastings Marathon (100th Anniversary)
18-12-2008, 04:34 PM,
Gillybean831 Wrote:Well done all (especially you guy's in Red and Black!)Big Grin
Really enjoying reading all about it.
Hope you all will be rested and will see you for a 'stroll'
around Preston Park on boxing day???
you are all welcome back to mine for some tea and mince pies
afterSmile
You have to run passed my door, so not far to come.
Be good to see everyoneSmile

Mince pies? I'm there! See you in the park.
AndyCool
Life's short,Run Long!Cool
22-12-2008, 10:29 PM,
Anyone dressing up for boxing day?
Ive heard rumours of a reunion, a band coming to Brighton
one day only, and doing our run!!!!
Can this be true?
Will Simon Get a New outfit??
Blond or red head???
Will there be a Union Jack Dress????

Looks like Andy and the Mrs will be my only guests.
More cakes for usBig Grin

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
AND A WONDERFUL
NEW YEAR
X
23-12-2008, 12:38 AM,
Gillybean831 Wrote:Ive heard rumours of a reunion, a band coming to Brighton one day only, and doing our run!!!!
Crikey, Led Zep to do the Boxing Day run???
Unbelievable - and I can't bloody make it Sad

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-12-2008, 04:45 PM,
This all sounds a bit scarey:p
23-12-2008, 09:59 PM,
Great eve at the track,i was doing the very hard job of watching!!Big Grin
In the pub after, talk turned to the boxing day Run.
It looks like it will be a mad dash to Oxfam for a few people.Eek
i don't have a clue so will just try to be imaginative with what i have.Confused
Boring yes i am:p
23-12-2008, 11:04 PM,
Gillybean831 Wrote:Great eve at the track,i was doing the very hard job of watching!!Big Grin
In the pub after, talk turned to the boxing day Run.
It looks like it will be a mad dash to Oxfam for a few people.Eek
i don't have a clue so will just try to be imaginative with what i have.Confused
Boring yes i am:p

I think I'm going to try and race it on Boxing day. Parluff was great fun tonight and the bar was cool afterwards. See you friday!Smile
24-12-2008, 10:39 AM,
steepler Wrote:I think I'm going to try and race it on Boxing day. Parluff was great fun tonight and the bar was cool afterwards. See you friday!Smile

Race it in fancy dress I hope!!???EekEek
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
24-12-2008, 02:12 PM,
I get the feeling that there will be lots of new profile photos after Boxing Day.

Shame you can't make it SwedSad!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin CoolCoolCool SmileSmileSmile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
24-12-2008, 04:07 PM,
Don't think I'll be making it out, I'm coming down with something also I'm aching a bit probably from the track session.Sad
24-12-2008, 04:21 PM,
Simon Ho Wrote:Don't think I'll be making it out, I'm coming down with something also I'm aching a bit probably from the track session.Sad

Damn. I had a fresh film in the Box Brownie ready to capture you in full fancy dress ensemble! Get well soon mate. I ached like mad after the parluff. Very sore this morning!Cool
24-12-2008, 04:23 PM,
ladyrunner Wrote:Race it in fancy dress I hope!!???EekEek

There are enough rumours about my sexuality withoutme racing as a woman and adding fuel to the fire!:RFLMAO:
24-12-2008, 05:39 PM,
Im also sore from the track and 10 days of post-Hastings partying has finally caught up with me big-time. I was anticipating an easier session last night!

Have a great Christmas everybody and enjoy New Year celebrations (I'll be thinking of you all from Auckland!).

Simon - get better soon. Everyone else - I want to see photos from Boxing day!

See you in Jan. Fiona
24-12-2008, 07:37 PM,
[SIZE="5"]Merry Christmas Jog Shop Joggers[/SIZE]
Fi; safe travels - I'm green with envy. You'll be geographically closer to Mid Life Crisis Man than any RCer in history - give him a wave as you pass over Oz!
Simon; get well soon mate.
Ladyrunner; I'm missing Boxing day to spend an everlasting day with my brothers and their extended families. Believe me I'd rather be running around the park in a tight mini-skirt and fishnet stockings EekWinkCool
Steepler; see me after class Big Boy.

See y'all Saturday for the BHTT.
Expect a sloooow one . . .

24-12-2008, 08:06 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Believe me I'd rather be running around the park in a tight mini-skirt and fishnet stockings EekWinkCool

Swed, You strick me as a man that would enjoy cross-dressing.

I bet Simon is feeling terrible that he can't satisfy his once yearly desire to dress as a woman ......
In public!!:RFLMAO::RFLMAO:

Happy Christmas ALL!!
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
24-12-2008, 08:46 PM,
ladyrunner Wrote:Swed, You strick me as a man that would enjoy cross-dressing.

In all fairness I have previous. A story for another occasion . . . Molly's on Sunday night, 1st of Feb perhaps . . . Wink

25-12-2008, 10:50 PM,
fficeConfusedmarttags" />chemas-microsoft-com[img]http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/ />t=[/img]Hastings t="on">Marathon Commentry
Brighton and Hove Team
14/12/2008 :RFLMAO:
Jason Knight

The build up was perfect! Not. I did not know i was going to run until the week before. When Richard kindly agreed to give me his number at the club Christmas do. Where we had to wait for 5 hours before the food came! If wed had known this we would have all had a 3 course meal at home before wed come down to double carbo load for the next week. The food was good tho and well worth the wait. (apart from sams tash which he kept getting covered in milk and pizza) I’m not sure what training i actually did for the race but I know I did some. This was my 3rd marathon 1st and 2nd back in 97 so was very experienced at this sort of event!

I was going to go over in the hippy van with "me Julie" Drake (veteran of 17 marathons and a sub 3 pb, boy does this girl know how to run) but i heard from the wire I had on her and gary at the xmas do that she would have dopped me so she, gary and simon could beat me on the day.
I reported the matter to Daniel Craig and he advised I drive over of my own accord.

Regrettably I did so on the Saturday evening (as id rather had gone over with the team) but found sanctuary at some old friends of mine from Hastings
I soon realised that “me Julie” Drake knew her and she had tried to keep me up late with pointless conversation and tried to get me to eat her space cake but i knew again it was a set up. Therefore i prayed to the almighty for the love and peace of the holy spirit hit me and I slept well.
It was a very convenient place to stay as it was all of 3 minutes from the start finish line and the local pool. I was therefore able to jog up to the pool for an 8.30 dip before a quick slurp of tea, banana cake and half a boiled egg for breakfast.

I was a tad later than i would have liked to have been to warm up for the race as me other me Julie tried to drug me again in the morning. She confessed that it was also because Simon Ho and Julie Drake were forming a conspiracy against me as they saw me as a threat (even tho were in the same team). But alas for them it did not work. Because I was late ( as I was for the
Oh yes onto the race here we go, but no but yes but no but yes.
This action gave me the glory of leading the race for the first 200m. not being the most experienced runner in the world i was not sure what to expect. I had done the jog shop jog but that was a couple of months back. I kept a steady pace for the first few miles and felt good. On mile 6 or so ersonName wConfusedt="on">FionaersonName> came up from behind me . (Not literally, that’s what Sam wanted to do and the only reason he actually was growing his tash was to enable him to come out the closet once and for all, not to look authentic in his costume it was all a big lie!) we will continue to pray for him in this regard. I don’t think i had ever seen anyone look so relaxed and laid back as ersonName wConfusedt="on">FionaersonName> did at that point. She was so relaxed she looked as tho she was taking the dog for a walk. She said hello Jase how are you? while jogging along she was casually sipping a cup of tea with a bone china Royal t="on"> tea cup and saucer. In her 3rd hand she was dunking a very healthy oat grain low glycemic index biscuit which did not even get soggy or drop into her tea as us mere mortals biscuits always do, she is surely talented that girl. Anyway off she went on her merry way out into the a biss in front of me, and onto a great finish. Running along the decline after towards Battle an unusually good looking already drenched plumber came along side me it was...Steve he was telling me that it was a good 3.15 pace, again i had no idea what to expect. He also told me that he’d split up from his girlfriend the week before. I felt sorry for him. when he broke the news to her he said ”I am sorry luv but its over… Flo!”
Daryl graham was at this point motoring along. Little did anyone know what a legend this man is. Me Julie Drakes plan to dope me back fired as Daryl was the one caught up in the crossfire. He was at the honey club until 4am on the Sunday morning so to finish the race in such a good time was admirable this was really a legendry performance. He will one day have the victory this man is made of carbon steel fibres.
Gary Christie was also motoring along very well too. This man is a machine. He is also very modest. He can do ironmen backwards with his eyes shut. (in fact a virtually blind man did run past me at 10 miles and i did not re pass him, how is that for inspiration. Still slightly injured after his PB at Abingdon Gary made light of the undulating course with me Julie Drake for support. Along the way i heard them thru my antennae the grenade they had planted on the beach so they could take me out. Unfortunately for them it was diffused by my right hand girl who I radioed forward to, ersonName wConfusedt="on">FionaersonName> Powell. The most laid back Im horizontal runner in the west, or east in our case as we live in East Sussex
Got to 13 miles and still felt good was not sure what the time was. still did not know what to expect.
Amanda Hester was cruising at mile 15 as pictured her white pop socks giving her the placebo effect. Motoring nicely on to a very good 3.31 PB she did sweat a little bit but that was only because she had a head band on. She doesn’t normally and certainly does not pass wind ever, even at Christmas.
I was labouring a bit as we approached Bexhill. At this point my right calf was giving me gip so I regrettably stopped for a stretch. This was a good move as it eased straight away. This was why Simon Ho caught me up on galley hill, and also because I had stopped for a coffee and a doughnut.
Because of their conspiracy I decided to let him over take me on top of the hill at mile 22 and lull him into a false sense of security. This was when he must have thought the plot had worked with me Julie, but it of course had not. As we got to the pebbles i thought lovely and decided the best form of defence was attack so i did, not literally of course that is the job of the Ninja turtles.
Its very easy to labour at this late stage in the race so i turned the gas up a bit and left simon in my wake as I sipped my tea on the way past him I decided to leave my low glycemic index biscuit until the finish. Where ersonName wConfusedt="on">FionaersonName> was waiting with hers and her undented Royalt="on"> china tea set. This girl is truely amazing and like Amanda does not even sweat ( apart from when she saw Sam in his outfit and tash, we all did at that point!)
There waiting was in fact oh no! Sam and his tash again. I knew it! the editor from revenge club magazine had come along to shoot him for the next edition. He had done a roaring trade that day and got 5 phone numbers, all male admirers.
Sean Billing 2.55 and Andy Pain 2.54 had long been in by this point having not only finished their tea with our club Royal Dalton t="on"> tea set, had a warm down, stretch and done an ab workout as well. These two guys gave a masterclass in distance running placing 11th and 9th respectively. They let their running do the talking, were focused, modest, good looking and very fit. (No im not gay, thats sam with the tash.)
All in all a good day, great end to the year for all and my birthday week. the big 40 next year.
Luckily for simon, Gary and me Julie from staines my heel is not quite 100% so their little conspiracy has worked for now but watch out for the next exicting episode of the Brighton and Hove marathon teams exploits on running commentary.
You can also catch the next episode on channel 5 Tuesday s and Thursdays at 21.00. Omnibus Sundays at 15.00
God bless you all, god bless The Queen, God bless t="on">America, Royal Doulton and low glycemic index biscuits. (if anyone wants a recipe let me know)
Jason
25-12-2008, 11:27 PM,
Well Jason what can I say??

Your running commentary on Hastings marathon was well worth the 5 text messages and 2 phones calls on xmas day for secret info! And yes it did make me laugh. :RFLMAO::RFLMAO:

But how did you manage to work out that gary, steve, simon and myself were conspiring to beat you?? I rather thought that you sending me a wake up text message just gone 11pm on the night before the race, when I had just managed to drop off to sleep was a conspiracy to slow ME DOWN (and it worked as it took me another 2 hours to relax enough to sleep again)!!

As for Darryl (Hootysboy) - just wait until I catch up with him - 4am leaving the Honey Club the night before the marathon!! Still it is a slight improvement on his post lace wConfusedt="on">Brighton 10k when he didn't make it to the start line due to his post race vodka binge!!EekEek

I'm interested to know who the other "me Julie" is that is married to Joel? (Font="invisible" Invisible to="anyone named Jason" I can't admit to knowing her as this would be owning up to the conspiracy)!!

Very well done on your run Jason and your PB and well done on beating myself, gary, simon and steve in this Wacky Race style run.Smile

"Me Julie" Drake aka LadyrunnerSmileSmile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
25-12-2008, 11:38 PM,
http://www.photoevents.org.uk/zoom.asp?I...100TH5.jpg
Photo above is Jason Knight in an impressive sprint start for the first 200m of the Hastings Marathon.
GO, GO, JasonSmileSmile.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-12-2008, 10:10 AM,
Funniest thing I've read in ages - thank you!

Very accurate description of the race, pretty much how I remember it. The grenade was a bit annoying but a welcome distraction from the shingle at least.

Jason, always happy to be your right-hand girl. Gotta watch our backs with the likes of Simon around!

Darryl, had no idea you were out till 4am!

Happy Christmas and bring on the next one...! Fiona
26-12-2008, 09:37 PM,
Jason what are you on, i want some.:pGreat report i hope to see more of the same in 09.Well done in Hastings great run.

Fantastic run in Preston park Brighton this morning good to see Ladyrunner,Gillybean and Msilvy in costume but a shame Simon did'nt make it, i was looking forward to a bit of male company in a dress.:RFLMAO:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London marathon report steve scott 5 4,896 15-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon 2009 Brighton and Hove AC Race Report jason knight 2 3,507 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Last Post: jason knight
  Hastings Transport??? Gillybean831 4 2,660 09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Gillybean831
  New York Marathon 1/11/09 Simon Ho 0 1,619 07-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Simon Ho
  Beachy Head Marathon ladyrunner 32 23,033 26-10-2008, 03:31 PM
  Hastings Marathon - List of Competitors ladyrunner 1 2,022 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Hastings Marathon Course Map ladyrunner 1 2,020 14-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Last Post: steepler
  Hastings Marathon Onewithwind 11 5,042 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  paris marathon els 8 3,615 20-04-2007, 09:39 AM
  Paris marathon 2007 gary c 3 2,302 02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Moyleman