Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beachy Head Marathon
14-05-2008, 05:17 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Anyone fancy the Beachy Head Marathon this year?? It's Saturday 25th October.

Unbelievably it's been 5 years since I last ran it - how time flies!!
2003 Result 4:04.

http://www.visiteastbourne.com/marathon/

JulieSmileSmile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
25-07-2008, 08:13 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Got my number for this event yesterday. So who else is running this race??

Julie Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
29-07-2008, 08:43 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
I think i'll be in Italy the end of October.
Do you know anything about the guy who collapsed and died at the top of the north face Sunday before last. Apparently he turned up to run with us but was late.?
30-07-2008, 09:23 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Bloody hell, that's horrible.
Anyone know the fellow?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-07-2008, 10:45 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Hi all,
Apparently the guy who colapsed and passed away was a regular at the Tuesday night track sessions and had trained with Sam's Sunday marathon group training sessions from the Marina.

I received a phone call last Sunday from Alex asking about this guy's whereabouts but I told her that he had not come out with us and we had not seen any Men running alone.

This tragedy highlights the importance of taking all the necessary precautions and one of the most effective ways of doing this is to continue to run as a group so that we can look out for each other.
30-07-2008, 04:57 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Agreed Gary - it's always best to run with at least one other person so that if you do get into trouble you've got someone who a) knows you're in trouble and might be able to help and b) can raise the alarm. I've always thought it a good idea to carry a phone as well as a small amount of money, though perhaps neither of these would have been much use in this case.

I'm terribly sorry for his friends and family, and for Sam & Alex.

30-07-2008, 06:05 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
I popped into the Jog shop today and spoke to Sam. The poor dead guy's name is Dave Nichols, Sam has a couple of photo,s of him i remember he was an easy going gentle man who shared my love for Alfa Romeo cars. Apparently he arrived late @ the marina and was playing catch up.A terrible tragedy RIP.
31-07-2008, 10:21 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Very sad indeed. There was a piece in last nights argus about it. I'm not so sure if he was playing catch up mind you. You never know when your number is up!
Life's short,Run Long!Cool
01-08-2008, 08:33 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
I've just read this shocking news. That was the week that we did the long 18 mile course (North Face, YBR and Balsdean Farm) and there was a lot of walkers out on the Downs doing the 100k walk. We set off at 9:10 and had our usual 5-10min break at Saltdean toilets.

A terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to Dave's family and friends.

I've just completed my 2 day first aid course and this tragedy emphasises how important this training could be in this situation.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
14-10-2008, 07:00 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Thought I'd give this one a bounce to the top of the list as it's the next big run that some of us are doingConfusedConfused.

There's still a spare number going from Chris if anyone knows of any takersEek.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
14-10-2008, 10:56 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
I would love to run BH. No chance this year, far too much to be done before I take on that monster Eek If I'm not away I'll turn out to cheerlead though :o

14-10-2008, 11:56 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
I somehow missed this thread the first time around, and am shocked to hear about the chap who died.

This is a kind of pointless post, but just wanted to acknowledge the news.

Sad
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
14-10-2008, 01:57 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Someone else has died this week from the local running scene. Luke Veness who has taken part in the BHTT 5k series.

He used to run for Brighton & Hove and was an English Schools winner. Read on the internet that he was found dead near his home aged 34!!

http://www.sussexathletics.org.uk/news.php?id=546
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
18-10-2008, 08:08 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
For anyone doing Beachy Head Marathon this is the elevation map of the course which I usually print off and take with me on the run as it gives me a good idea as to where I am in the race.

It also gives you an idea of what to expect for the last 6 miles (note the 2 mile uphill climb to BH at 23 miles!!Eek).
[Image: profile_600.jpg]
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
18-10-2008, 10:18 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
ladyrunner Wrote:Someone else has died this week from the local running scene. Luke Veness who has taken part in the BHTT 5k series.

He used to run for Brighton & Hove and was an English Schools winner. Read on the internet that he was found dead near his home aged 34!!

http://www.sussexathletics.org.uk/news.php?id=546

Not that it makes it any less tragic, but he killed himself apparently. Father of a 6 year old girl. Must be a pretty traumatic time for her, I should think.

On the subject of Beachy Head, that is a truly fearsome looking course. That is a challenge and a half.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
18-10-2008, 10:30 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Thanks for the elevation map.
That's a good plan.

Gonna try my new GPS thingy.
It's like having a large clock on your wristBig Grin- but nice to see your running, pace and whatnot plotted on a graph on the PC afterwards.

Last year I suffered more from the little hills, including the downhills, before that final long one, as they're steep and no fun for aching quads!
That 2 miler is definitely a slog- but when it's over- it's a breeze!!

Anyway, not long now.
One last training run tomorrow for me, then rest, I think.

Stocked up on gels today.
Can't remember if they do sports drinks, mars bars, biscuits......
Sports drinks I'm hoping!Smile
19-10-2008, 11:20 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
It will be interesting to see your graphs after the BH - maybe you can try and upload them on this thread after the run?

My GPS ran out of battery at 2.5 miles last week on the Jog Shop Jog:mad:.

I'm going to have two days rest then train Tues & Weds followed by another two days rest before the marathon.

I'm also stocked up on gels and energy drinks.

From memory they have biscuits at the checkpoints 1&2. At checkpoint 3 they've always dish out saugage rolls which I eat walking up the steep hill afterwards. And checkpoint 4 at Birling Gap is Mars Bars (which made me feel really sick). But that was 5-8 years ago so it could quite possibly have all changed now. Don't know about sports drinks.

Have you got a bottle belt to keep a drink in that you can refill as you are going round the course? There's only 4 checkpoints so not much chance of hydration otherwise if it's a hot day.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
19-10-2008, 11:09 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
ladyrunner Wrote:My GPS ran out of battery at 2.5 miles last week on the Jog Shop Jog:mad:.

Have you got a bottle belt to keep a drink in that you can refill as you are going round the course? There's only 4 checkpoints so not much chance of hydration otherwise if it's a hot day.

I've just realised that the gps thingy does an elevation map- how exciting!Big Grin
So here's the Jog Shop Jog one (plotted against distance, so my crawl in the last few miles shouldn't affect the shape).
[ATTACH]2036[/ATTACH]

Have never tried a belt for running with- am thinking of bringing one of the hand-shaped bottles though.
May pack a few jaffa cakes for early on too.
Guess sausage rolls are more palatable at 20 miles than Mars Bars!!

Do you know if any other of the blue crowd are running BH- I'm hoping for a lift there on the morning? Have considered staying in Eastbourne Friday as have friend there, but only as a last resort!

El Gordo- that's a great trick with the bottle. Can you do it while running? :-)

Attached Files
.jpg   Jog-Shop-Jog-Elevation-Map.jpg (Size: 27.12 KB / Downloads: 220)
20-10-2008, 06:59 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
That elevation (Jog Shop Jog) always makes me smile - you can see why they call that little up and down section at halfway the Big W (instead of 'hell' as many refered to it last Sunday) Big Grin

Sausage rolls? Can't think of anything that would turn me over faster than greasy pastry but I guess it works Confused

Good luck to all Beachy Headers this weekend. I'll probably be doing the Wire, so there in a bumpy cliff-top kinda way . . . :o

20-10-2008, 03:46 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Wow AH that elevation map is impressive. You can certainly make out all the hillsRolleyesRolleyes!

I'm not a lover of Jaffa Cakes but I think that I might purchase a packet and eat a few before the run. It could be Jaffa Cakes and Rice Pudding for me as a last supper, after pasta off courseBig Grin.

I'm planning on staying over the night before in Eastbourne so can't give you a lift in the morning.

Don't know who else is running - Mr Brindley was meant to be but he has sold his number to Hootysboy (Daryl) but he lives at one of the Eastern 'Havens (Peace or New) so no good for a liftSad!!
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London marathon report steve scott 5 4,851 15-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon 2009 Brighton and Hove AC Race Report jason knight 2 3,485 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Last Post: jason knight
  New York Marathon 1/11/09 Simon Ho 0 1,607 07-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Simon Ho
  Hastings Marathon (100th Anniversary) ladyrunner 80 49,896 26-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Last Post: jason knight
  Hastings Marathon - List of Competitors ladyrunner 1 2,013 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Hastings Marathon Course Map ladyrunner 1 2,010 14-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Last Post: steepler
  Hastings Marathon Onewithwind 11 5,022 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Beachy Head Countdown Sweder 1 1,601 20-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Moyleman
  paris marathon els 8 3,589 20-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Paris marathon 2007 gary c 3 2,290 02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Moyleman