Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hastings Marathon (100th Anniversary)
11-12-2008, 01:05 PM,
Well, if it's anything like last Sunday for the Seaford Mince Pie 10 (or whatever else was happening), it'll be perfect, since it was fine in shorts and vests (in December!!Confused). Or even slightly cooler would be ok.

Let's hope.............Smile
11-12-2008, 10:37 PM,
My last chance to say 'good luck' before Sunday.
Fingers crossed for good weather - well done team Moyleman, over a grand on http://www.justgiving.com/moyleman - plus gift aid - and still more to come I'm sure. Great stuff.

I won't be in Hastings on Sunday as I promised to take Phoebe to a competition in Horsham. I'll be there in spirit and hopefully catch up with some of you on Sunday evening.

[Image: RF4776255.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B0BF7EDCE-B...40B04B6%7D]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-12-2008, 05:38 PM,
Sorry can't be at the meal to congratulate you all but well done
in advanceBig Grin
Will be keeping my bit's crossed for good weather and amazing PB'S
Lookin forwards to warmer weather in Spain!!!!
take care
GB.
12-12-2008, 05:46 PM,
Gillybean831 Wrote:Sorry can't be at the meal to congratulate you all but well done
in advanceBig Grin
Will be keeping my bit's crossed for good weather and amazing PB'S
Lookin forwards to warmer weather in Spain!!!!
take care
GB.

Big Grin Be aware that a couple of years ago, the weather was as bad in Almeria as anything you'd find in England in winter. Freezing rain and strong wind. It's usually milder, but there's no guarantee!
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-12-2008, 06:41 PM,
El Gordo Wrote:Big Grin Be aware that a couple of years ago, the weather was as bad in Almeria as anything you'd find in England in winter. Freezing rain and strong wind. It's usually milder, but there's no guarantee!

Weather forecast for Sunday is 6c with Sunshine!:RFLMAO:
Life's short,Run Long!Cool
12-12-2008, 06:43 PM,
ladyrunner Wrote:Are we feeling nervous yet????

I am about the weatherSadSad

I've got a f**KING cold......arse!!!!!Eek
13-12-2008, 10:00 PM,
Went to support a couple of friends foolhardy enough to do the Santa
Dash.
The weather was foul!!!
Most Santa suits had shredded Eek
I only managed to stay out in it for half an hour.
Tomorrow no rain and cloud cover should keep the temp up.Wink
Look forwards hearing about it!
Go Team Moyleman!!!
14-12-2008, 05:17 PM,
What a stunning effort from Team Moyleman in brutal conditions. Damp, ice cold with a bitter, soul-scrubbing wind, it took about ten minutes for my fingers to lose feeling in their tips. After half an hour I was clapping and cheering people using the pedestrian crossing in an effort to keep my blood warm and circulating.

I'll leave the tales to the runners. In between shouting and clapping I managed to snap a few shots of the the team at mile 16 (New Inn, Sidley) and Mile 22/ 23, a cow of a hill after the long haul along the seafront from Cooden Beach into Hastings. Apologies to Shaun (carrying Moyleman's number and clocking a brilliant sub-3) - he was far too quick for me and had already gone through by the time I managed to get to miles 16 and 22 :o

Well done one and all, especially Fiona who took second place in the women's race in her second full marathon Eek Stunning effort.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]From the top:
Amanda at mile 15 (number 650); Fiona chasing the leader at mile 22; Gary & Stevio at Mile 22; Hootsboy adjusting the sounds, mile 22/ 23; Juli and Gary storming through mile 16; Simon steaming up the hill at 22; Stevio greets the waterstation between 22 and 23;
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Attached Files
.jpg   Amada mil 16.jpg (Size: 91.75 KB / Downloads: 131)
.jpg   Fiona chases the leader at M22.jpg (Size: 63.14 KB / Downloads: 130)
.jpg   Gary, Stevio last hill.jpg (Size: 83.16 KB / Downloads: 130)
.jpg   Hootsie 2.jpg (Size: 77.79 KB / Downloads: 130)
.jpg   julie & Gary, Mile 16.jpg (Size: 96.64 KB / Downloads: 135)
.jpg   Simon charging up Mile 22.jpg (Size: 91.48 KB / Downloads: 132)
.jpg   Waterstation Mile 22 - 23.jpg (Size: 73.71 KB / Downloads: 130)
.jpg   Julie and gary Mile 16.jpg (Size: 66.16 KB / Downloads: 131)

15-12-2008, 12:30 AM,
Stats from race HQ and notes from the post race rehydration at the Druids' Head.
[SIZE="1"]Sadly your correspondent could only stay for a swift half having exceeded his monthly beer quota with Captain Tom and SP on Friday.[/SIZE]

Shaun, proudly wearing Moyleman's number, finished 11th over all, third in his category. Chip time: 2:55:15 - a terrific effort and an unbeatable good-for-age for Moyleman for the 2108 race.

Fiona took second in the women's race (50 seconds behind Gravesend Roadrunner Annabelle Stearns), and first Sussex lady, winning a trophy for each. Fi shaved 20 minutes off her FLM PB, coming home in 3:04:51

JSJers Hastings roll of honour:
Simon - 3:25:13
Amanda - 3:31:53
Hootsie - 4:23:50
Ladyrunner - 3:39:31
Gary -3:39:20
Stevio - 3:50:33
Steepler - 3:53:56

Lets have some stories please folks! It's always fun to read individual perspectives on races, more so when those races are once every hundred years.

Judging by the grins around the pub table no-one suffered unduly. The course was 'interesting', involving predominantly pavement and (open) main road running, some mud plugging, several challenging hills including a nasty one at 22 miles, and, bizarrely, two miles - 23 to 25 - on a shingle/ pebble beach. Stevio suffered cramp, running through the painfrom a long way out. His performance was all the more remarkable having entered the race two weeks ago! By his own admission he wasn't marathon fit, though I'd have to say I'd love to look as comfortable at mile 16 as he did this morning.

I don't know if this was a PB for Amanda but she seemed to be flying out there. The only major problem Hootsie seemed to be having after the last big hill was sorting out his earphones for a big finish audio boost.

Well done once again. Fundraising for Moyleman's chosen causes - Macmillan Nurses at http://www.justgiving.com/moyleman and Martletts Hospice via sponorship forms at the Jog Shop and with team members - is going great guns. We'll keep the site open for a few weeks as I'm hoping to get some coverage in the local press and attract a few more sponsors.

If anyone has good connections with the Brighton Argus or other regional press let me know. I plan to write a modest screed with a couple of photos for a press release on Monday. If anyone finds/ purchases official photos that they're especially proud of please forward a copy or post one here.

Attached Files
.jpg   Medal.jpg (Size: 76.96 KB / Downloads: 127)

15-12-2008, 10:05 PM,
Report on Sussex Atheltics website - click here for link to story - reports Fi's was the fastest marathon time recorded by a Sussex woman this year. Given that the course was at best quirky and in fact downright difficult this bodes well for Fi in 2009, less so for those of us trying to keep up with her in the Sussex mud on the Sunday runs . . .

Could be a grandchildren I-was-there moment . . . Big Grin

Attached Files
.jpg   JustGiving 15.12.08..jpg (Size: 94.26 KB / Downloads: 107)

15-12-2008, 10:51 PM,
just done the longest report ever and the laptop has eaten it so will try again tomorrow.Sad

Any chance you did this in Word? This has happened to me in the past. When the bloody thing crashes I can reboot and open word to find some of my report saved by the program. Clutching at straws but I know how cruel this can be . . .
15-12-2008, 10:56 PM,
Well done all. Great performances in difficult conditions (and 2 miles on a pebble beach at the very end of a marathon Eek ??)

We need first hand reports please. It's the way we do things around here. Wink
El Gordo

16-12-2008, 12:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 16-12-2008, 12:56 AM by Simon Ho.)
Just read Steve's posting, so I decided to write mine in word then do a cut & paste, saving as I went along!Big Grin

On the run up to the marathon there were a lot of concerns about the weather, in the end conditions were near perfect, dry with a mist, if a touch cold. I started the marathon alone as I lost the other guys when I nipped off to the loos before the start. By the time I found the loos the race was about to start so I quickly joined the line up very close to the front!:o
I started the race very slowly as I knew the first 6 miles were up hill, after a few minutes I heard someone shout “Track!”. I looked behind and it was Steve & Fiona, they soon picked up the pace and urged me to join them, I declined as I knew what was ahead and didn’t want to burn myself out as I did in chemas-microsoft-com[img]http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/ />t=[/img]. Fiona said I was being defeatist as they disappear out of sight, which was the last I saw of Fiona!
I was running with Avenging Hillman for a while then he picked up the pace and left me. I spent the next few miles alone, eventually I caught him and it was a bit cat and mouse with us passing each other several times throughout the race.
Coming through Ninfield I knew it was downhill for a while and picked up the pace heading into Sidley and past my old house. I heard cheers from Ash & Cam as I passed mile 16 which lifted my spirits and it felt like a home coming as I lived in the area for 12 years. Heading onto mile 17 there was a hill going into Bexhill old town, in the distance I saw a
At mile 18 I was still feeling good and could see another t="on">t="on">Cooden Drive I saw Steve, it was good to see he was up and running again so I shouted some more encouragement. Come mile 21 I was cruising behind the
At mile 24 we finally got off the pebbles and back onto the seafront, which was a relief as was hearing the marshals say “Only 2 miles and its all flat!” I tried to pick up the pace but my legs had gone and I was plodding, I saw a fellow runner stop for a breather. I shouted encouragement for them to carry on telling them it wasn’t far, I was also trying to convince myself as well as I was really flagging. The runner smiled and started to run, a few minutes later they stopped again, I gave them a look and they started up again which was good to see. Eventually they pulled away and I couldn’t keep up!:mad:
In the distance I could see the pier and knew it wasn’t far now, soon I saw the sign I was looking for, 26 miles! SmileAt this point I was directed under the subway, I dug deep as I could hear cheers and managed a sprint finish. With the line in sight, I saw Fiona in the crowd in her silver blanket and knew she had done well. I just didn’t know how well!
It turned out to be a great day with a PB of 3.25, knocking 28 minutes off my last attempt in t="on">and on a tough course. I was just hoping for sub 4, as I was coming back from a DVT in my calf and this was going to be a test.This was the first marathon I actually enjoyed, before this I was considering retirement from the distance. The day was topped off by Fiona’s amazing performance, everyone was really pleased for her as she is not only a runner but also a friend we train with.Smile
16-12-2008, 10:44 AM,
Great report Simon, thanks. Also like to share this link to the local Observers' montage.
Turn up the speakers for the full effect.

Also a couple of superfast route guides with commentaries from local luminaries. I like the second one. It includes comments like 'this section is long and flat. You could almost do with a hill here, and you'll get it on Galley Hill. You won't like it' and 'onto the shingle beach. Feet will ache, legs will be drained by the shingle but hey, that's running'

Nice.

17-12-2008, 02:23 PM,
[FONT="]I can’t stop talking about Sunday so, to give my colleagues a break, I’ll pour it out on here![/FONT]
[FONT="]
I got very nervous in the 2 weeks leading up to Hastings – the weather looked like it could be horrendous and I had no notion of how I’d cope on the course. My aim was to beat 3.28 (from FLM) but I had no other target or expectation.[/FONT]

[FONT="]Being part of the team made a huge difference to me and the aim of raising money for a worthy cause is always motivating. It has been great to raise so much with it still coming in.[/FONT]

[FONT="]I started the race lining up with Steve - apologising for bullying him into running - I now owe him a few beers! The ‘Chariots of Fire’ theme tune was playing as the gun fired and that got the blood pumping but I thought we started too fast. Our first mile was sub 3.15 pace and we seemed to be doing a lot of overtaking. I was trying to slow Steve down but I’m sure he sped up. I think his words were “ what can go wrong?”…fair play, I thought! We saw Simon and caught up with him – Steve shouting “track” as we went past which cracked me up. Near the start of the major hill Steve must’ve decided to stop overtaking but I was in a rhythm and felt comfortable keeping to the same pace. I still had his words ringing in my head and I seemed to overtake a lot of people on that hill.[/FONT]

[FONT="]At around 4M I saw Matt on the side of the road - the first of many many supporters which made the day for me. At that point I saw a BHAC vest in front and caught up with Jason. THE hill was ok and it was nice to see a friend from work at the top, around 6M. To my intense surprise he shouted “I’ve only seen one other bird”…though by the time I’d worked out what he’d said two girls had gone past me. Going up a hill in the Battle area a mile or so later I overtook the same two girls but assumed I’d be overtaken again not very far down the road.[/FONT]

[FONT="]I think being a girl in such a race was an advantage – there were fewer of us so the crowd seemed to notice us and cheer us on even more which was great. I think it was around 9 -10M when I caught sight of another girl, who turned out to be the leading lady, and a few guys. I caught up with the small group and stuck to the back of them. I’d been warned about the hill at around 12-13M in the Catsfield/Ninfield area so it was good to get that out of the way. Soon after the halfway point Annabelle (ladies winner) and I were running alone. I checked my watch just after 13M and was surprised, happy and a bit worried to see 1.34…I anticipated a lot of pain very soon![/FONT]

[FONT="]I lost track of how many times I saw Brigitte and co…both on the side of the road and driving up and down the course, honking, tooting, shouting and offering gels. I’ve never seen anything like it and it was fantastic – they were hilarious and you couldn’t help smiling going past them – a massive boost. I think Matt, Jeanette and co were also at about 16M, once again it was so great to have familiar faces cheering![/FONT]

[FONT="]At around 18M I started to feel a bit tired but all was still ok – certainly not what I’d expected after the fast first half. For some reason Steve’s “what can go wrong” popped into my head at this point and spurred me on. Hitting the seafront was great in the sense that the psychological 20M barrier was behind me but awful as I couldn’t believe it when another hill appeared, followed by shingle hell.[/FONT]

[FONT="]I ran with Annabelle until around 21-22M – she certainly seemed very strong and made it look like a stroll in the park. Running with her pulled me round the course far faster than I’d anticipated. It was brilliant to be at the front and a privilege to run with the eventual winner. Hearing people shouting “leading ladies” was certainly very motivating.[/FONT]

[FONT="]I’m not sure if the last 4 miles were run more by my head or my heart but my legs didn’t have much to do with it, they’d lost the plot. At this point the lead girl had opened up a gap and I was running on my own, though still passing a few people. I’d now realised that unless I really went to pieces I should achieve sub 3.15 so that kept something going. I couldn’t focus on the maths to get a closer estimate. I saw Ash somewhere around 22M but I wasn’t able to muster much enthusiasm at that point, as reflected in his photo![/FONT]

[FONT="]I almost cried when someone shouted ‘2 miles to go’ – it felt like I’d past the 24M marker an hour previously. Passing 26 miles was, of course, brilliant. Going down the home straight was fantastic with so many team supporters in the crowd. Cup of tea was very welcome and the beer even more so![/FONT]

[FONT="]It was an awesome day, I absolutely loved it. Being part of such a supportive and enthusiastic team of runners and supporters made the day. I enjoyed the actual run far more than I expected and to take 23 mins off my pb was a brilliant surprise. I am still on a high! I know we were all massively chuffed for Simon, who took a huge chunk off his pb (I TOLD you!), and Darryl, who practically halved his. Steve, who got bullied into running with only 2 weeks to go,…star.[/FONT]
17-12-2008, 06:55 PM,
Well done all (especially you guy's in Red and Black!)Big Grin
Really enjoying reading all about it.
Hope you all will be rested and will see you for a 'stroll'
around Preston Park on boxing day???
you are all welcome back to mine for some tea and mince pies
afterSmile
You have to run passed my door, so not far to come.
Be good to see everyoneSmile
17-12-2008, 09:08 PM,
Could'nt sleep much Saturday night must be pre race nerves.Got up about 5 and trying to get dressed in the dark so as not to wake Mrs S put on the wrong head,it was the stupid one.
Driving to Hastings with Fiona and Simon i declared that i would run 8 to 8.30 min mile pace for the first 6 miles and then see how it goes.Running with Fiona we got to the 4 mile mark in under 30 mins and she said we were going to fast and i said keep going what could go wrong [something that would later come back to bite me.] I then said we should stop overtaking people and settle in to a pack, i did but Fiona carried on at the same pace and i did'nt see her again. I carried on to about 18 miles having passed fantastic support from Sweder Camilla Matt Bridget and her gang but my lags were starting to play up and i knew what was coming, by 20 mile mark the cramp had really kicked in and now it was all about survival.When i got to the hill between Bexhill and Hastings as i was really in trouble, along came Gary looking fresh with Ladyrunner and they offered help but i urged them on. Next Sweder appeared and he was fantastic running with me for what seemed like miles.The beach section was interesting [i'd like to meet the guy who came up with that idea] but i got through it and found myself on the prom, every spectator gave me encouragement and as with all my previous marathons i felt very emotional .The last 2 miles where a nightmare but the finish banner was a very welcome sight and i crossed the line in 3.50.
After about 10 minutes recovery and hearing about the rest of the teams efforts i realised that this had been a very special day spent with some very special people doing something extraordinary.
Thanks to everyone who supported us and thanks Simon and Fiona for talking me into taking part.

P.S Fiona you were amazing.
17-12-2008, 11:21 PM,
Fab reports, everyone, thank you. I can't believe how well you all did. You Sussex guys and gals are in a class of your own. We're not used to this sort of royalty around here. Huge congratulations.
El Gordo

18-12-2008, 02:10 AM,
Fiona P Wrote:[FONT="]It was an awesome day, I absolutely loved it.[/FONT]
Me too!
I actually liked the course!Smile
OK, the hills did make it hard work- especially around the middle part of the race- I got pretty tired and was in doubt about getting my goal time (3.30), partly due to some of those dodgy mathematics.

But it came as a real relief to get back on the flat in Bexhill and energy and enthusiasm came flowing back. Some guy was on my back for the last 6 miles which gave me a real push though it turned into agony in the last couple of miles as I didn't want to let him past after all that work! (though he headed off in the last mile, as expectedSmile)

Pebbled section was certainly a bit of a shock- not very deep, though not much fun for aching quads (which were hurting anyway, at that point, but to hell with the costEek).

And agony the next day, but small price to pay for a PB!Big Grin (pleased with 3.22, though not difficult to beat previous off-road time as first road marathon)

Enjoyed the day and was great to meet the B & H crowd.

And thanks LR for persuading me into it!Big Grin

Well done all on great runs,
AH
18-12-2008, 04:33 PM,
Hello all.
Firstly, well done to anyone who ran on Sunday. It was a very tough course indeed and the weather didn't exactly help!
I set off very slowly as I had a cold in the prceeding week and was not 100% I was going to toe the line until Sunday morning.
I saw Steve and Fiona at around 1 mile and told them to slow it down a bit. Obviously Fiona didn't! Steve did well to run off limited training. You're not through with the 'thon yet mate!
Feeling very cold I ran the long climb out of Hastings on to the ridge. Felt weird running the wrong way along it after years of doing the half. The route through Battle was beautiful to run along. Who needs the tower of London? Wasn't keen on the dogleg in Bexhill but they had to get the distance in to get the course accurate. Loved the run back along the sea front but I was very cold by then. I was never passed from 18 miles out and actually caught a lot of people who had gone off way too fast and blew up on Galley Hill. Evil place to have a hill! The run in was special. Fantastic event and a real honour to be part of it as a sponsor. Hats off to Fiona for a very solid run. Surely a 2.50 is on the cards at London?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London marathon report steve scott 5 4,865 15-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon 2009 Brighton and Hove AC Race Report jason knight 2 3,490 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Last Post: jason knight
  Hastings Transport??? Gillybean831 4 2,641 09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Gillybean831
  New York Marathon 1/11/09 Simon Ho 0 1,613 07-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Simon Ho
  Beachy Head Marathon ladyrunner 32 22,963 26-10-2008, 03:31 PM
  Hastings Marathon - List of Competitors ladyrunner 1 2,016 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Hastings Marathon Course Map ladyrunner 1 2,012 14-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Last Post: steepler
  Hastings Marathon Onewithwind 11 5,030 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  paris marathon els 8 3,594 20-04-2007, 09:39 AM
  Paris marathon 2007 gary c 3 2,295 02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Moyleman