Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marred March, or: Tina Arena and me.
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM,
OK well the "less is more" routine is starting to turn a little ragged at the edges...

Last week was diabolical - very busy, in fact almost surreal, and I scheduled two runs, but managed only one. Thursday was intervals day, but my car broke down twice :mad:, the first time quite some distance from home, and the second time I just chucked in the towel and had it towed to my mechanic for repairs (all fixed now I'm pleased to say). But that kind of disruption in a busy schedule sort of throws the run into the bin, so no run Thursday.

I was however feeling really really good for my long run on Sunday. I was scheduled 20km, but felt great and put on my "25km" head (as per Sweder's instructions in my February thread) and bowled along brilliantly for 15km. But then it rapidly went pear-shaped. I hit the wall at 18.5km, stopped for a banana and just couldn't get going again. I felt up until that point (and again now) more than fit enough to do 25km, and can only think that I simply ran out of fuel. It had been a horrendously busy week, with long hours at work and a new (old) house requiring renovation in my "spare" time. The fact that not long after I pulled out at 18km I lay down on the floor at home and slept for half an hour where I lay suggests to me I was just dog-tired. In hindsight I also doubt that I'd eaten enough during the week, quite apart from working too hard and not sleeping enough. Hardly the ideal marathon preparation...

Anyway, 18.5km isn't too far off the actual scheduled 20km, so all's not lost. But next Sunday's 25km is going to have to be a good one. Wish me luck viewers, I'll be needing it. :o

Actually last week was supremely surreal, so I'm not surprised very little went to plan. Wednesday was a good example. Most of my 13 hours at work consisted of pouring over incredibly tedious codec data and statistics, analysing sequence packet errors, misconfigured packets and dropped IP connections; and then hassling our IT department to actually get the problem that caused all this fixed. Then after work I spent an hour on a packed train with social drop-kicks and totally fed up commuters. The surreal bit was that sandwiched in between those two things I got to spend a few minutes with Tina Arena. Working in the media I get to meet these kinds of people on occasion, but this was unusual in that I actually had quite a conversation with her, and it just contrasted totally with a day full of codec errors and TCP/IP frustration. Then of course on the train home I just wanted to ask people at random "Are you a Tina Arena fan?" (I didn't of course). Wink

The musical treats continued over the next few days as it happens, with Ben Lee, Gary Puckett and Natalie Imbruglia passing through my hands. And in case you're wondering, Tina was nothing like her videos portray: she is in reality a very hard-nosed determined lady who doesn't take fools and idiots lightly (fortunately she didn't place me in that category).

So not much running to write about, but a bizarre week to muse over! Wink

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgCZYnIbWs"]

[/url]
Run. Just run.
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:In hindsight I also doubt that I'd eaten enough during the week, quite apart from working too hard and not sleeping enough. Hardly the ideal marathon preparation...

Those sound reasonable enough reasons for feeling knackered. Sounds like you're well on course anyway.. keep it up!

I'd never heard of Tina Arena by the way, but envy you somewhat nonetheless...:o
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM,
sounds like one helluver week MLCM, next weekend Will be better, you Will be rested, you Will be fuelled up, you Will conquer 25k - HonestSmile
Phew this is hard work !
03-03-2009, 06:07 PM,
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:I'd never heard of Tina Arena...

Hmm I may have assumed greater international stardom than is warranted. She's a bit of another Kylie Minogue-style Aussie export, let's say.

Smile
Run. Just run.
03-03-2009, 10:55 PM,
These things are sent to try you... remember, the training is the hard bit, on race day you have the crowd and the adrenaline to keep you going! Looking forward to a good report of the 25K!
04-03-2009, 09:33 AM,
I feel curiously optimistic about your chances Cobber.
There's a twisted theory that enforced rest can forge inner steel, to be unleashed on race day to overcome fatigue and lack of mileage. It's a bit Field of Dreams I suppose - suspend disbelief and go for it. Biggest mistake I've made in these situations is to try to make up the lost mileage, adding impossible strain to an already clapped-out body. Trust in yourself and listen to your body when it chirps at you; it knows, you know.

Yoda Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-03-2009, 11:16 AM,
BTW, I saw this and thought of you.
Police issued this witha request for anyone seeing a man matching this description to get in touch. naturally I'm keeping Mum until I find out what it is you're meant to have done . . .

Attached Files
.jpg   MLCMan.jpg (Size: 43.84 KB / Downloads: 21)

07-03-2009, 09:37 PM,
That's funny Sweder - I saw this and thought of you. :p
Run. Just run.
08-03-2009, 12:43 AM,
Never more apt. I fear my travels with SP and Capn Tom have added more than invaluable experience to my countenance :o
Still, with no races on the immediate horizon I'm bound to say 'so what?' :p

Actually the photo in the newspaper piece reminded me of your old (original?) avatar.

08-03-2009, 10:00 AM,
Well another busy week has been and gone. I did my best to get as much rest as I could and keep my calorie intake up where it needed to be. But still I awoke this morning (Sunday) tired and lethargic. Heading out to do my long 'un I felt more tired than I can ever remember being at the start of a run before. Ordinarily if I felt this bad I simply wouldn't run. But today was non-negotiable. 25km had to be covered or my Canberra campaign was simply over.

The first 5km were the worst. The second five? They were the worst too. After that things got really tough.

However.

It's true to say that at any stage after about the 15km mark I could simply have pulled the plug and happily said "bollocks" to the idea of the Canberra marathon. But I had to tell myself that physically I felt fine. I was not in any pain. I wasn't cramping. I was just very, very tired. And I could put up with a bit of tiredness for a few more kilometres. And that's what I did. It was just a case of head down, arse up and keep plodding (and this was a very slow run).

And in the end I got there. 25km banked and now, some 9 hours later I feel fine. I still don't understand how I'm going to slot in the extra 17.2 kilometres I'll need to do on the day to complete the race, but at least I'm in with a shot. Another 25km next week, then a couple of 30s after that and maybe I'll get through.

This coming week looks a little easier for me too - apart from moving house which I have to do on Wednesday, but at least the bulk of the renovation work on the new digs is done. I work Monday/Tuesday then have 5 days off, so at least two runs this week for absolute certain: I reckon a decent intervals workout is needed, as I'm covering the distance but have no real speed to speak of.

Today was no fun, but it's done. MLCM still lives. Smile
Run. Just run.
08-03-2009, 11:24 AM,
Excellent work MLCMan. Here's the dark heart of the marathon challenge, to keep on when the Sirens call you to rest. I'll wager next week's 25k will be slightly less tough. It's usual to experience gravity's pull when you hit a new distance. It'll happen on the day, but by then you'll know you can kick it's ass.

10-03-2009, 11:19 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:It's true to say that at any stage after about the 15km mark I could simply have pulled the plug and happily said "bollocks" to the idea of the Canberra marathon. But I had to tell myself that physically I felt fine. I was not in any pain. I wasn't cramping. I was just very, very tired. And I could put up with a bit of tiredness for a few more kilometres.
Interesting, that's a mind game that I've had to play many times:

Bad Gremlin: "You really want to stop now, and give up."
Good Gremlin: "Yes, it would be nice to stop. But you're only in mild discomfort; you can easily put up with it for another hour or so. Then you'll actually achieve what you wanted. Now piss off, baddie!"

Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:This coming week looks a little easier for me too - apart from moving house which I have to do on Wednesday, but at least the bulk of the renovation work on the new digs is done.
Not most people's idea of a light week! Hands up all those who picked an illogical year to do a spring (autumn) marathon! (But when we look back, illogical may not equal bad...)

Great work mate, keep it up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forward March Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 26 4,889 30-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5
  March Too Much Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 32 12,821 04-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Long March Rocket Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 25 12,532 01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
  Maaaaarvellous March. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 19 10,076 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Frog March Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 12 6,051 14-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Mangling March or, Sleepless in Sydney. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 17 11,920 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Missing March ... and, er ... February. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 4 2,761 23-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  March maundering. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 81 51,745 31-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Murderous March Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 65 37,277 02-04-2006, 12:20 AM
  March melancholy Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 1,714 08-03-2005, 06:07 AM