Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.56 Average
Murderous March
02-03-2006, 09:15 AM,
Murderous March
A 30 minute fartlek session this evening proved far tougher than it should have. This is partly due to shin splints, which have reared their ugly heads again (can shin splints have heads?), but mostly due to a complete unknown, mysterious something. Dashed annoying it is too. I do have a bit of a head cold, so I'll attribute it to that, although it seems rather a huge downturn in form for such a slight barely-noticeable illness.

I sweated heaps during the run however, so hopefully it's all sweated out now. Perhaps I should follow it up with a good 'ot curry to be sure.

Mmm. Now that's what me calls good thinks MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
04-03-2006, 09:10 AM,
Murderous March
A veeeeeery slow 5km this evening. Took this ultra-mega-supremely slow due to shin splints, which continue to dog me despite much physio*, including a special taping arrangement to counter the over-pronation of my right foot.

It seems strange to suddenly be struggling with trifling distances such as 5km (albeit due to injury) when others here at RC are full-bottle into their long runs prior to the season's marathons. Still, that's the way it is and there's nothing to be done about it except struggle on through.

The good news is that my troublesome left knee and dubious achilles have not given me any trouble for some time now (touch wood). So hopefully it's a case of getting through this shin problem and I can then get stuck into a serious training program. For now however, it's slow, but steady persistence. And if that doesn't work, it looks very much like it's going to be a trip for me to the podiatrist for [gulp] prescription orthotics [/gulp]. For some reason, that fills me with dread. Silly really, because it might just be the answer to my problem. Oh well, we shall see, dear viewer, we shall see.

MLC Man.

P.S. The good 'ot curry did indeed put an end to
the miserable head cold I had the other day. An
efficacious and recommended medication, that is.

*from the lovely, but evil Rebecca.
Run. Just run.
05-03-2006, 08:40 AM,
Murderous March
My shins have recovered very nicely today, so am confident of a good run tomorrow. No running today (rest day) but I did do some marshalling in the local annual Oxfam 5/10km run/walk which was great fun. It was an out and back course, so we got to see everyone twice, from the "elite" runners (very few of them in this rather low key event) to the dawdlers with their dogs, some of whom took well over 2 hours for the 10km... by which time of course the BBQ was over, the donations all counted and the concert band had packed up and gone home. We were just on the verge of pulling the marquee down when the last dog walker crossed the finish "line" (which had also long disappeared). Never-the-less, they received appropriate congratulations and a restorative piece of fresh fruit (and water for the dog). It was a beaut day, and I can heartily recommend marshalling as a fun way of participating in a race when you're out of form or injured, or even just for the fun of it.

Meanwhile, my trusty treadmill awaits tomorrow's planned run with keen interest. I shall report back then, but I feel it'll be good news - otherwise I'll be having some harsh things to say about positive thinking Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
06-03-2006, 10:14 AM,
Murderous March
Not a bad run today. Shins hurt a bit whilst running but were good before and after. Taking this as a good indicator that I'm getting on top of the problem.

I had lots of other things to tell you about, but with the passing of time and the consumption of a rather fine sparkling ale, they've gone from my mind.

Instead I enclose, for your health and safety's sake a photo with a warning. For goodness' sake, drive carefully or this might just happen to you...

[Image: tragedy1.jpg]
Yes, that's beer. Good beer. Tragic Sad
Run. Just run.
06-03-2006, 11:30 AM,
Murderous March
This is particularly upsetting for me, Grolsch is brewn in the town where I was born, it was the stuff I was brought up on. Still my preferred lager, although less keen on the stuff that is brewn with the same label on these shores :-) I have to side with Sweder on the black gold for non-lager refreshments. With training I haven't had a decent pint for ages :-(
06-03-2006, 11:43 AM,
Murderous March
Sorry ljs, didn't realise we had Grolsch natives on site - must have been quite a shock to you Sad

FLM isn't too far away now - just a small marathon standing between you and a celebratory pint of G. And judging by that 18 miler you put in a while back, you'll be getting to the bar slightly faster than some others lurking here Big Grin
Run. Just run.
06-03-2006, 12:08 PM,
Murderous March
That all went to pot yesteday on my 20 miler, came home in 2 hr 58, having past the 10 miles at 1 hr 19!! Although I was stupid went out without breakfast in order to save time, Bad mistake Sad Luckily another couple of 20 milers to come to get it right :-)
08-03-2006, 09:56 AM,
Murderous March
Another gentle 5km tonight. The shin splints are still painful, but I believe they are getting better. This is the first time I've properly attempted to run through them. Usually I have to rest anything up to 3 weeks before the buggers clear, but this time I'm using a combination of mummy-like taping of the feet and a very gentle pace (little more than a jog really) to convince them that they have no option but to get used to it. Consequently, I'm doing a slow 5km every second day until the problem goes. I've made too much progress overcoming what was a serious knee problem to let shin splints blow it out of the water now. And the important thing is that I am getting the mileage done, and regularly at that.

Still, I oscillate almost daily between extreme frustration and endorphin-boosted optimism. But thus far I'm hanging in there. And helped not a little by the various blogs here as everyone overcomes their various challenges to run down their goals. Great stuff!

I think I'll drink to that...

[Image: cascade.gif]
Run. Just run.
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM,
Murderous March
As inspiration goes your steadfast battle against the ailments is tough to beat, MLCMan. If they dished out medals for endurance yours would be the size of a dustbin lid. Throw in tales rude & glorious of your S&M sessions and the making of fine beer, this is defo the hottest diary in town Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-03-2006, 07:12 AM,
Murderous March
Sweder Wrote:As inspiration goes your steadfast battle against the ailments is tough to beat, MLCMan. If they dished out medals for endurance yours would be the size of a dustbin lid. Throw in tales rude & glorious of your S&M sessions and the making of fine beer, this is defo the hottest diary in town Big Grin

Gosh, thanks Sweder... too kind I'm sure. I'll have to save you some of that beer now Smile

Speaking of which... it must be beer o'clock...
Run. Just run.
09-03-2006, 11:12 PM,
Murderous March
Recent postings from the illustrious running commentators have made me yearn for green English fields and lukewarm beer. And in the interests of building upon a splendid body of academic research from the Dr. M.L. Crisis-Man I recently visited our local (French owned) hypermarket intent on buying up any samples of English ale that I could find. The results were threefold.

A few cans of John Smith’s with the little plastic widget inside making it come out like a true pint of Yorkshire bitter on draught.
Bass pale ale, from that stronghold of the brewer’s craft, err, Luton.
And the third, called Cannabia, was chosen for its curiosity value, the taste of hops with a whiff of ganja. Could this, like “old peculiar” be a collector’s item?

Sadly they no longer stock the Devonian “Badger Beer” Sad . I must have been the only punter who bought it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

09-03-2006, 11:15 PM,
Murderous March
And here's one that I finished earlier... burp.
(Hope this cheers you up ljs!)

10-03-2006, 12:34 AM,
Murderous March
Badger! Now you're talking . . .
Badger Best for year-round quality, with Tanglefoot the summer jewel.
Golden ale at 6.0, a more aptly named beer is tough to find.

11-03-2006, 09:22 AM,
Murderous March
More beer in a moment, but I must first mention yesterday's scheduled run, which didn't actually happen due to a combination of working late and then being forced to drink beer with a couple of mates who ambushed me at Knopwood's Arms which is on the way home. It's one of those quaint, but odd pubs where everyone stands outside in the street drinking. Literally as I drew alongside the pub, one of my workmates (coincidentally another Andy) walked out the door, saw me, and gave me a pint of James Squire Amber Ale, disappearing inside to get a fresh one for himself. Anyway, one pint led to another and before too much longer it was pretty clear that the run would have to be postponed until today.

Which it was. Six sluggish kilometres of no great note. But they're in the bank.

But back to the beer. The highlights of the evening were these two beauties - dangerously potent beers. At 9% (and in 750ml bottles), these beers are almost wine-like in strength, and you damn well know you've drunk one of these when it's finished. They aren't about to make me turn away from my favourites, but they are a great experience.

As will be my running one of these days. For the moment however, it remains a chore - especially after a long day of work and a long night of beer swilling.

Life's tough, what? Rolleyes

[Image: chimayblue.jpg][Image: 3monts.jpg]
Run. Just run.
11-03-2006, 09:31 AM,
Murderous March
Bierzo "Beer Barrell" Baggie Wrote:I recently visited our local (French owned) hypermarket intent on buying up any samples of English ale that I could find. The results were threefold.

A few cans of John Smith’s with the little plastic widget inside making it come out like a true pint of Yorkshire bitter on draught.
Bass pale ale, from that stronghold of the brewer’s craft, err, Luton.
And the third, called Cannabia, was chosen for its curiosity value, the taste of hops with a whiff of ganja.

My God - yet more beer for me to hunt down and try! Will this never end? Big Grin
Run. Just run.
11-03-2006, 12:46 PM,
Murderous March
I'm blessed with a full-fledged brewery on my doorstep - Harveys of Sussex.
The Brewery organises tours which, I'm told, leave the visitor informed and squiffy in equal measure. A must for an apres Spring Marathon RC Day Trip - 5 mile Blackcap jaunt followed by a Brewery Tour Smile

11-03-2006, 03:58 PM,
Murderous March
I managed to singularly ignore the protocols for publishing photos of ale on this site. Prompted by my conscience I hi-tailed it to the Brewery Shop to purchase the required draught ales (Harvey's Best and Old Ale) in order to put things right. But what to do with all that beer?Confused

11-03-2006, 09:51 PM,
Murderous March
All this beer talk the day before a long run has to be a contravention of my human rights.

One day soon, some poor bar man will get my full revenge...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-03-2006, 10:17 PM,
Murderous March
I've had a busy day, but now that evening is here, and I can relax....

Dammit. Here you are....

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-03-2006, 01:39 AM,
Murderous March
andy Wrote:I've had a busy day, but now that evening is here, and I can relax....

Dammit. Here you are....

Double dammit. The only one of those I've had is the Urquell... supposedly the "best beer in the world" (I've heard that from two different sources, so it must be true Rolleyes ) - that means even more beer to track down and enjoy.

There's a lot more to this running lark than first meets the eye Smile
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forward March Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 26 4,888 30-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5
  March Too Much Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 32 12,816 04-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Long March Rocket Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 25 12,532 01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
  Maaaaarvellous March. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 19 10,074 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Frog March Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 12 6,049 14-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Mangling March or, Sleepless in Sydney. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 17 11,919 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
  Missing March ... and, er ... February. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 4 2,760 23-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Marred March, or: Tina Arena and me. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 11 5,927 10-03-2009, 11:19 AM
  March maundering. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 81 51,743 31-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  March melancholy Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 1,713 08-03-2005, 06:07 AM