Race report
18-01-2007, 10:50 AM,
Race report
For those of you crazy enough to think a marathon isn't anywhere near long enough, you will no doubt enjoy our correspondent Ed's report from the day he set out to run 100 km ...

Bandera 100 km Race Report.
18-01-2007, 03:40 PM,
Race report
Thanks for the link, Nigel.

Short(er) version for the time-challenged: A tough day at the office for both myself and Nattu (2006 Badwater ultra finisher and Marathon des Sables veteran), running in the rugged southwest Texas hill country. 70 degrees and 100% humidity at the start, with intermittent heavy rain on an extremely rocky and hilly 31-mile loop (x 2) course. Four hours into things we crossed the line of an incoming cold front and the temps dropped dramatically. I couldn't stay hydrated early, then was in danger of going hypothermic. If that wasn't enough Nattu injured his patellar tendon and groin from a hard slip on a downhill traverse. I realized I didn't have enough that day to spend another 10-11 hours on this course in rapidly deteroiorating weather, much of it at night, and dropped after the first loop.

This was my first DNF, but it was really the only sane thing for me to do that day. We did get an official 50K finish, and the nagging sense of a job left undone. I'm planning on taking another shot next January ... if the weather is slightly better. A tough course for my first 100K attempt. I have three 50-milers planned for the spring and we'll see how those go, then figure out a plan to get me back to Bandera in the fall.

If anyone reading this is considering an ultra marathon, the training is surprisingly very doable for an average person like myself (and maybe like yourself). Training for a 50K is pretty much the same as marathon training, with your longest training runs being slightly longer (22-25 miles is plenty). Outside of the elites, most ultra runners go with a "walk/run" strategy for training and racing that allows for easier pacing and quicker recovery. And running on trails offers quite a refreshing change of pace, pun intended.

If you're interested in learning more, e-mail me at eb_write@yahoo.com. This somewhat old-school site is also a jumbled attic of great information:

http://www.ultrunr.com/

Happy trails,

Ed
"When I see someone running on my street, my instincts tell me to let the dog out after him." -- Mike Royko
18-01-2007, 03:48 PM,
Race report
Thanks Ed, appreciate the short version as I'm time-inhibited (lazy).
Some great advice too - I'm taking on my first ultra, the Two Oceans, in April and am desperately in need of guidance/ advice from someone who appreciates the jump into hyperspace.

I'll check the link and will send you an e-mail with a few (honest!) questions. Cheers, and well done in what sounds like almost impossible conditions.

The Texas Hill Country can be a fun place (unless you're trying to run 100k I suppose). I floated a giant innertube down the Guadelupe river from New Brunsfels back in '87 with a bunch of locals. Only gear we needed for that was a couple of ice-chests and a quaint hard-hat equipped with beer holders and a long feeding tube . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

18-01-2007, 10:34 PM,
Race report
Thanks Ed, sounds like great advice - although I admit to being also tempted by Sweder's innertube marathon Wink

I'm going to try the run/walk training thing this year as a means of overcoming knee problems myself. Who knows, maybe it'll allow me to do some longer distances in the end. There's a couple of fabbo ultras down this end of the world (Bruny Island ultra 60km, and the Overland Trail 70km) that fascinate me. Just maybe... just maybe.
Run. Just run.
19-01-2007, 02:00 PM,
Race report
Following Ed's excellent advice (thanks again Ed) I tip-toed off to http://www.ultrunr.com/, peeking furtively around the door to see if there was any hope for a wretch like me.

And you know, there jolly well is!
Being a realist as well as an optimist I went directly to the 'low mileage' section.
The following declaration hit me right between the eyes:

'As for some suggestions for "an ultra training schedule that includes, running, beer drinking, and maybe some golf", here are several suggestions (from a 25 mpw runner who has completed over 50 ultras).'

Boys and girls, we're home Big Grin

19-01-2007, 03:06 PM,
Race report
Just been on the TOM website (and laughing myself silly at their 'easy bronze' trainng schedule - apparently I should have a long run of 20 miles next Sunday, when in reality I'll be doing 21k before attempting to drain southern Spain of their limited Guinness reserves).

The grin was wiped from my face however when I noticed the countdown clock at the bottom of the page:

77 days 13 Hours 53 seconds

Eek

19-01-2007, 07:03 PM,
Race report
Sweder Wrote:Just been on the TOM website (and laughing myself silly at their 'easy bronze' trainng schedule - apparently I should have a long run of 20 miles next Sunday, when in reality I'll be doing 21k before attempting to drain southern Spain of their limited Guinness reserves).

The grin was wiped from my face however when I noticed the countdown clock at the bottom of the page:

77 days 13 Hours 53 seconds

Eek

It's a tough job, to be sure, but if anyone here can do it (well, apart from Ed and Tim), then it's.... well, let's just say 'one of our East Sussex correspondents' to plant a bit of doubt in people's minds...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-01-2007, 02:37 PM,
Race report
If anyone is interested in doing an ultra run here on 21st April there is a race that can be done on foot ( 103 km ), on bicycle ( 123 km ) or 50 km on foot and 73 km on bicycle. I´ve already preentered the last one. I took part two years ago on bicycle but I didn´t do the whole course because I kept company to a friend, Manuel from Barcelona, who did it on foot in around twelve hours. It goes from the sea level to Sierra Alhamilla and then back to Almería along another route. The landscape is really amzing.

http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum....php?t=622

http://www.todofondo.com/24halmeriasport

Another one is the 101 km in Ronda ( Málaga ). John B took part in it last year and the participation is much larger than here. It is in May.

http://www.rondavirtual.com

Saludos desde Almería

20-01-2007, 03:36 PM,
Race report
Crikey Antonio, those sound like monsters.
I've a very foggy idea about turning up for BB's famous Aquilinos adventure although it may well not be this year. I'll have to see how things go in April.

I would really like to jog the route of your race to the Spa though - perhaps one-way (from the Spa into town). Is there any way I could do that on Monday after the race?
Just a thought :o

22-01-2007, 03:23 PM,
Race report
It would be wonderful to do the Baños de Sierra de Alhamilla route on Monday. I could do it after school at 2:40 pm. The only problem would be the car since is we want to do it from the Baños de Sierra Alhamilla to Pechina, we´d have to leave the car up. Perhaps, one of our mates who did not feel like going for a run could come and drive the car down and the others could go down jogging along the path to town with us. It is about 8 km long.

Saludos desde Almería.

PS. Although the temperatures have been really warm lately,the average highest around 18º Celsius, a cold wave is coming so the weather may be a bit cold when you come. Let´s hope that it won´t rain a lot like last year.

22-01-2007, 04:02 PM,
Race report
anlu247 Wrote:Although the temperatures have been really warm lately,the average highest around 18º Celsius, a cold wave is coming so the weather may be a bit cold when you come. Let´s hope that it won´t rain a lot like last year.
Antonio, hell is indeed freezing over here. I am prepared to wager your weather will not be any worse than ours. Anyway, bring it on!

I'm sure we can work something out for an afternoon run on Monday. It will at least keep us out of the bars for an hour or so Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The greatest race on earth Bierzo Baggie 19 14,738 30-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  man versus horse race stillwaddler 2 4,742 14-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Race day checklist El Gordo 8 5,799 22-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,906 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  50th Birthday Race - All Invited El Gordo 6 3,639 05-07-2007, 12:11 PM