Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fearless February
08-02-2013, 02:08 AM,
Fearless February
A shaky start to the month, with a family medical scare (turned out OK but was a bit nerve-wracking for a few days), an unexpected four consecutive night shifts at work (these 6:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. beasts are so efficient at turning grown men into weeping wrecks that we normally work no more than two at a time) and house re-decorating duties ensuring run-busting turmoil was the plat du jour.

Despite the night shifts ensuring I had an unplanned step-back week, things are still looking good and more-or-less on schedule. I’ve three runs to report, although the last two should have been one – I was half-way through my planned long run when I had to attend to another important family matter. A few hours later I resumed my run and finished with 25km for the day. However they had to go in the log as two runs, and so it is. Even so, it’s 25km in a day, and they felt strong too, so I’m not unhappy with them.

The rest of February looks as uncertain as the first part, so it will be a challenge to stick to my schedule, but I’m equally determined to at least get the kilometres run, even if it’s not quite in the format I had hoped. Distance covered is the key, and I’m finding my overall pace is increasing just as result of the miles covered, which is just as well as speed work has been well under the amount planned.

I can’t sign off without mentioning the ‘dark days’ sports scandal that has erupted here in Australia. There’s been lots of bluster and claims made, but as yet no charges laid or names named. It’s caught us all rather by surprise and it’s hard to know what to make of it. As a senior sports journalist told me this morning, this will either be ‘the greatest sports story ever told in Australia, or the greatest beat-up ever’. Given the meteoric rise of sports betting in this country in recent years, I’m tipping there’ll be some ‘substance’ to it, but it’s such a bolt out of the blue that no-one’s sure where or what the real story is. The only thing we know for sure is that all professional sports people here are now suffering guilt by association. Charges need to be laid quickly or the authority of those making the claims will be diminished. We shall soon see. Or at least, we hope so.

15.4km 1h39
12.2km 1h15
12.8km 1h17

YTD: 247.8km
Run. Just run.
08-02-2013, 06:52 AM,
RE: Fearless February
When I heard about the sports scandal, my first thought was not negative about Australia, but the opposite. I may be wrong but my assumption is that if this is so endemic in Oz, it probably extends across other countries and continents. Hard to believe it could exist in a geographical bubble. If it is a much more widespread problem, we would have to congratulate the Australian authorities for coming clean first. If it's not the case, er.... I haven't thought that far.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
08-02-2013, 02:42 PM,
(08-02-2013, 02:08 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Charges need to be laid quickly or the authority of those making the claims will be diminished.

My thoughts entirely. If this continues as it started - all grand generalisms and non-specific hand-wringing - the veil of suspicion will fall on everyone. Far better for leading sportsmen to step up and declare themselves 'clean', thus forcing the issue. Andy Murray made a similar statement to the media last week, saying 'I'm clean, I hope my opponents are too'.

Congratulations to the Sheilas for their 2 run win over England in the ICC ODI World Cup this morning. I listened in as I walked the dogs. England were chasing a paltry total yet, with the help of two atrocious umpiring howlers, managed to stuff it up 2 runs short.

Well done to you for cranking out the miles in spite of the hurdles set in your path. We seem to be running along parallel lines just now. And with that most tenuous of segués I shall now download some Blondie for next week's sessions.

Ps: speaking of excellent music, Danny Baker hosted a series of fabulous programmes on BBC4 this week, celebrating the vinyl long playing record. Last night's show was all about R&B and Soul. If you can plug in via your online resources I highly recommend this 'chat round the table' series.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-02-2013, 11:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013, 11:55 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Good of you to mention the sheilas, Bruce. Yep it was a good win and just a pity the Queen couldn't be there to cheer everyone on. Doubtless she sent a telegram.

On the drug news front, still nothing but posturing and manoeuvering and rearranging of the deck chairs/press releases. I fear the worst.

On the home front, just one ugly, slow run this morning to round out the week and get my mileage up where it ought to be, but not a run I'm happy with, other than the fact that it was done. And even this one was interrupted by an insistent phone call from a delivery man who had the wrong address. Sigh. February has been rather a lot like that thus far. Already next week has been disrupted by work requiring me to work an extra day. Oh well, I'll cram in the miles somehow.

10.4 km, 1h10m.

YTD: 258.2 km
Run. Just run.
13-02-2013, 12:13 PM,
OK well maybe not.

Work has again thrown a spanner in the works, with a 65-hour week making a joke of my planned long run, which was scheduled and then scuttled by an unexpected night shift.

Therefore, just one run this week thus far, and I'm really not sure how I'm going to squeeze in those necessary kilometres. Thank goodness there's still eight weeks to race day. Sad

15.78km 1h39m
YTD 274.0km
Run. Just run.
13-02-2013, 01:25 PM,
No harm in taking a 'step-back' week. I may well do the same. I'm out before dawn for a JDRF meeting in the Smoke tomorrow so that run's not happening. Sunday I plan to swap a 17 miler for something a little shorter, joining Mr Tom Roper for a leisurely lope across the Seven Sisters. Hilly, yes, but only around nine miles. If I just do the one circuit.

Remember how good it feels to come back hard after step-back week?
It's like having a turbo fitted Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Far From Flabby February Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 34 14,209 06-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  February 2012 - Base Camp Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 45 27,295 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Missing March ... and, er ... February. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 4 2,761 23-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Fervent February Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,996 17-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  February Fighting Fit? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 19 9,389 27-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Fantabulous February Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 21 9,593 13-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Frustrating February & Shin Splint City Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 18 9,308 03-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Sweder