Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fervent February
06-02-2010, 12:49 AM,
Fervent February
This first week of February has been appalling for running. A combination of a still-dodgy calf, frightful 13 hour work days and terrible weather has left me runless for 5 days until this morning, and then all I could manage was a measly 4 kilometres, due mostly to the 95% humidity we've had no let up from all week (not even overnight). It's frustrating! Sad

Consequently, I'm tossing out the training plan I had and will have to ease back a bit. Instead of a gradual build up of weekly kms I'll now focus on maintaining a decent base mileage for a few weeks and see how things pan out from there.

But first this weather has to change. I can cope with heat, but high humidity is not something I've learned to run in yet. Awful stuff!

Track du Jour: Bob Dylan's Liliy, Rosemary & The Jack of Hearts, which lasted nearly as long as my run did. Undecided
Run. Just run.
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2010, 10:23 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Floody February
Sunday run made impossible by this: http://tinyurl.com/yzl2fb5 - we were 1 of the 1,000 calls made to the State Emergency Service last night after two of our rooms were inundated and one ceiling collapsed under the weight of 200mm (8 inches) of rain in just a few hours... I tell you, this country has more extreme weather than you can shake a stick at. Droughts, floods and sometimes seemingly not an awful lot in between. Angry

So instead of running, today was spent mopping up and cramming two rooms' worth of stuff into half a room, in which I am now perching, squashed into a corner and looking wistfully at my training schedule having vanished in this week's rain.

Oh well. We got off lightly compared to Haiti et al. What's a little chaos and a messed up training schedule compared to some of the real drama going on around the planet? At least I'm dry now and everyone's safe and well here.

I'll start my training again in a couple of days time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
07-02-2010, 12:41 PM,
RE: Fervent February
As you say, relative to other disasters (and with no-one in your clan injured) no biggie; still a pain in the backside though I'm sure.
Book that swabbing in as cross-training though mate; it really gets your back after the first hour.
Hope you get back out there soon.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-02-2010, 07:22 PM,
RE: Floody February
(07-02-2010, 10:21 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Sunday run made impossible by this: http://tinyurl.com/yzl2fb5 - we were 1 of the 1,000 calls made to the State Emergency Service last night after two of our rooms were inundated and one ceiling collapsed under the weight of 200mm (8 inches) of rain in just a few hours... I tell you, this country has more extreme weather than you can shake a stick at. Droughts, floods and sometimes seemingly not an awful lot in between. Angry

And coming on the anniversary of the astonishing bush fires which I've heard a couple of radio items on today.

Bad luck old chap. I'm sure we all hope you get back on your feet, in every sense, before long.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-02-2010, 09:18 PM,
The last thing you needed after all the hours you've put in on your other house Angry

Hope you manage to get sorted soon.
11-02-2010, 09:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2010, 09:13 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Re-engaging.
Regular viewers will know that the last 10 days or so have been particularly problematic for me and have thus resulted in virtually no running, which is a tremendous shame after a brilliant January which saw a personal near-record monthly total of kilometres run.

However I was back into it this morning with a gentle 8km (46 mins) in the pre-dawn blackness. There's no doubt about it - the days are getting shorter, and when Mrs MLCM's alarm woke us at 5:45 for her to get to her Thursday spin class, it was inky black. I stumbled out into the streets some 20 minutes later determined to get back on track after a somewhat major hiccup. Fuelling my determination has been an unexpected source of motivation: I've been listening to a different radio station of late - one that plays the songs that were "Top 40" when I was a kid. The reason it's been motivating me is because it suddenly struck me yesterday as I listened to it that the vast majority of advertising on this station is for "senior" citizens. In fact it was back-to-back ads for a denture clinic and a funeral director (I'm not joking) that got me fired up. I was just horrified/mortified/angered to think that the people who dream up ads for this station think children of the 60s are already one foot in the grave. Angry

So it was with grim pleasure that I reinforced my youthful vigour on the streets this morning. Here's one in the eye of advertising copyrighters. Bastards.
Run. Just run.
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM,
Right On brother! Oops - just wrenched my shoulder punching the air. Bugger.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-03-2010, 06:11 PM,
How yer doin' cobber?

I'm starting to get twitchy about your absence, particularly as all sorts of natural calamities seem to be going on all around you.

Give us a wave.

Wave
El Gordo

17-03-2010, 11:14 PM,
MLCM is apparently still alive, if only just.

An excess of work seemed to be the gist.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Far From Flabby February Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 34 14,208 06-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Fearless February Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 2,690 13-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  February 2012 - Base Camp Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 45 27,295 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Missing March ... and, er ... February. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 4 2,761 23-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  February Fighting Fit? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 19 9,387 27-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Fantabulous February Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 21 9,593 13-02-2007, 09:32 AM
  Frustrating February & Shin Splint City Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 18 9,308 03-03-2005, 04:54 PM