2004 - What have you got planned
15-01-2004, 05:25 PM,
Thanks for the advice - I'm really trying to put away thoughts of PBs, it's surprisingly difficult actually! Probably because I was so slow in Chicago.

I also asked a couple of the therapists - one said that people always overtrain for marathons, and she has plenty of patients to prove that (she obviously doesn't know much about my training, I've never been accused of over-training). The other said that I should do less miles but to make those that I do more valuable. He suggests going to the track. I'm like Andy - I've read about all the tempo runs and so on, but haven't actually tried them...

So I'm going to give it a go. I'm planning to slowly increase the mileage and to get up to a long run of 12 miles - maybe with an hour of walking afterwards to get more time on the feet and I'll take the marathon gently. Susie - I'm not much of a runner actually, I always put walk breaks in when doing long runs - I had been thinking of trying my long runs this time without walking so that when I have to double my long run mileage in the marathon (which will have walk breaks) it won't seem so bad. A third member of the therapy team did a marathon when she was in college - she had read that you could triple your mileage, so her furthest long run was 9 miles. Interesting...

I'm beginning to be convinced that finishing a marathon is mostly mental anyway. Physical training is obviously necessary, but the mental aspect is huge.
15-01-2004, 09:31 PM,
Quote:Originally posted by Liz
I'm beginning to be convinced that finishing a marathon is mostly mental anyway. Physical training is obviously necessary, but the mental aspect is huge.

I agree with your general sentiment, Liz. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "mostly mental", but I definitely think that people underestimate the usefulness of 'getting your head right', both in preparation and on the day itself.

Some people think he's 'just an old hippy' (which never strikes me as the worst insult you could hurl at someone...) but I've really enjoyed some of the stuff that Ozzie Gontang has written. Anyone come across him?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-01-2004, 09:42 PM,
Quote:Originally posted by andy
I've really enjoyed some of the stuff that [b]Ozzie Gontang has written. Anyone come across him? [/b]

Nope, but I've just Google's him

Quote:Who the Heck is Ozzie Gontang?

Ozzie Gontang is Director of the San Diego Marathon Clinic which has meet for the past 22 years on Sunday mornings, 8 am at DeAnza Cove. He is the current maintainer of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on rec.running on the Internet. He is a family therapist, a performance/sport psychologist and a resource to executive leaders and their teams. As a therapist he walks or runs with the majority of his patients. He has trained over 50,000 walkers and runners in proper form and style. He has coached somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 individuals to accept the challenge of the marathon. He lives with his wife, two daughters, Max the cat, and Felix the cockatiel in North Park next to Balboa Park where he has logged thousands of miles walking and running. His purpose in life in ten words is: Training people to be world class humans and better athletes.

Perhaps some of his stuff deserves a place in your 'Good Writing' section Andy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chicago 2004 Dorian 3 1,513 27-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Iceman
  Shakespeare Half Marathon, Stratford-upon-Avon 2004 Nigel 2 1,783 13-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Nigel
  Silverstone Half Marathon: March 7 2004 El Gordo 15 54,235 11-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Bristol Half Marathon 2004 Griff 2 1,912 15-12-2003, 12:55 PM
  Bath Half Marathon 2004 - Hurry ! Nigel 10 2,534 27-10-2003, 03:16 PM