GPS Jobbies
13-09-2004, 06:52 AM,
GPS Jobbies
Yes, I agree with you, my house regularly moves up and down by a few feet - can't be too serious though, cos I've never noticed the cracks appearing!
13-09-2004, 10:13 AM,
GPS Jobbies
Quote:Originally posted by andy
Elevation?

I must be missing out on something here. Where does it tell me elevation?

You have to download the software from the garmin site Andy. Then you can upload (or download) your runs info to that program. See Nigel's pic posted earlier in this thread. Hold left mouse button down whilst moving cursor across green 'altitude' bit, will give errr.......altitude.

13-09-2004, 10:17 AM,
GPS Jobbies
http://www.garmin.com/support/collection...0-00328-00
13-09-2004, 11:02 AM,
GPS Jobbies
Ah, this must be the download that I couldn't install. My PC wouldn't recognise the gadget, and I decided I'd have to reinstall the whole thing from scratch. Haven't got round to it yet.

Cheers.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-09-2004, 01:15 PM,
GPS Jobbies
Hold on - you don't need to wait until you have downloaded the run, since you can also have an instantaneous readout of altitude whilst running. This would be particularly useful if you were about to run up (hopefully not off) a cliff in the Beachy Head area. It might be less immediately useful in the flatlands of West Berkshire, although you never know.

Anyway, to get this, you need to format your custom page on the Forerunner. Press the 'up' button to reveal your custom page. It might be blank when you first get the machine, but you have a choice of different parameters to display here. The instantaneous display of 'calories burned' can be a good one for the morning after the curry night before.

To select from these various options (I've just remembered that elevation was where we started, two paragraphs ago) go to Settings -> Set Custom Page, and then choose what you want to have displayed.

Elevation is not that accurate on this machine. It's measured by triangulation from the satellites, so has a claimed accuracy of plus/minus 15 m whether it is north or south, or up or down.

For surface tracking across the terrain, that's pretty good. For elevation tracking in Nepal or Switzerland it's OK too, but not so good in West Berkshire, where the whole elevation profile of your run might lie within that range. But on a long run, uphill and downdale, it can provide you with a feeling of progress when you get discouraged. That's when I always use it, struggling up the North Downs behind my house.
14-09-2004, 05:13 AM,
GPS Jobbies
Whilst mooching around the RW forum, I discovered a sub thread where people had connection problems. The secret lies in pushing the lead firmly all the way home. Mine was a little stiff, but worked first time. Give it a go Andy. The Log software is quite impressive and you can export it to xml. Means little to me but I'm sure you will be able to use it.

Rgds
Pete
14-09-2004, 08:15 AM,
GPS Jobbies
I have the log software downloaded, Pete. It's the system software upgrade I was talking about. As you've bought your gadget recently, you probably have the latest version of the gadget software. From time to time, on the Garmin site they post upgrades which add functionality or fix bugs. One appreared recently but I've not been able to download it. It's not a big deal at present. My PC has gone loopy, and I have bigger problems to fix first. But I suspect that reinstalling the original software will get rid of the problem.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-09-2004, 04:05 PM,
GPS Jobbies
the software upgrade didn't work for me first time either, but is fine now. I particulalry like using it in conjunction with Tracklogs maps, although I have to say, mine does regualrly lose the plot at the same places on a couple of my regular runs, but then I just adjust it on tracklogs for a proper reading.
Phew this is hard work !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GPS - What's The Latest? Sweder 18 5,664 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  FOR SALE: Timex GPS El Gordo 3 1,551 10-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder