Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Here comes summer - the British 10K
31-08-2005, 07:36 AM,
I didn't know they had the official photographers positioned 200 yards from the startline! :p
31-08-2005, 08:11 AM,
Curses! Foiled again . . .

Actually the truth is even more shameful.
I dragged my sorry arse around 9.5 K like a lame donkey, only finding the gumption to put in a burst when the flag-waving hoards and belting music at the finish lifted my lardy frame from its slumber.

Still looks good though, eh?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

31-08-2005, 12:19 PM,
Great picture, my good friend Sweder.

But the truth is out now, and away with your false modesty, for not only do you seem to be smiling, but moreover you actually appear to be leading the entire race. Are you really sure that Haile G. did finally pip you to the line that day?

The cream always rises to the top - that's one more truth in sports - just like on a good pint of Guinness....
31-08-2005, 06:13 PM,
Nigel Wrote:The cream always rises to the top - that's one more truth in sports - just like on a good pint of Guinness....

Or, as my dear friend SP might tell you, shit floats : )

Thanks Nige - I could use an ego-boost just now - running's a struggle.

Be gone, foul sunshine!
Away, muggy heatwave!
Oh mud, oh rain, where art thou?
Hast ye forsaken me??

03-09-2005, 02:48 AM,
Just popped up to say g'day, and to bring the conversation ever so slightly around to the topic of... cricket!

[insert abrupt change of topic and theft of thread here]

Actually, I don't want to talk about it... it's too hurtful [stop smirking]. I've had ruptured anterior cruciate ligaments that were less painful than this.

I said before the start of the series that I was looking forward to seeing Flintoff.

Well OK, thanks very much. Now I've seen more than enough of him. Sweder, can you take him out for a run, force an injury and then ply him with Guinness... preferably the night before the next test?

I haven't felt this bad about cricket since 1985... although 1987 wasn't so good either.

But well played England - your lads have done very well. Other than Bell; not sure why you're persisting with him. But leave him there, by all means.

I'm off for a drink or three.

MLCM
Run. Just run.
03-09-2005, 10:06 PM,
MLC my dear chap - how marbellous to hear from you!
Rumours of your demise are greatly exaggerated.

Bad news on the cricket front, I'm afraid.
Freddie frequently downs pints - Tetleys, not Guinness - and his consumption rate is already significantly superior to my own.

Bell, meanwhile, suffered a severe bout of cramp/ hamstring pain in the C&G One Day final at Lords today. So not only is he a fitness doubt for Thursday, we are likely to draft someone in who can bat a bit.

It's been a great series, and could yet end in triumph for the visitors, which makes the Oval all the more compelling viewing/ listening. An emotional moment at Lords today - they had a break in play to acknowledge Ritchie Benaud, that fine Aussie Captain and doyen of cricket commentators for the past two decades. I understand he will hang up his mic after this series - which, in his understated way, he has described as the best he can remember. He will be sorely missed; rarely has a former player commented on his fellow professionals with more wit and wisdom or less self-reference or bias. What a fine day's play it's been out there today . . .

Keep well old boy. Not missed much on here since around June/ July - been far too hot to even think about running. And then there's been all this splendid cricket to pass the time . . .

04-09-2005, 12:02 PM,
'Aahh g'day viewers. What a maahrvellous mornin's cricket we've seen here today. Mind goes back to, aahh, the Adelaide Oval, 1964 aahh think it was, Rick aahh McCosker aahh, maahrvellous innings.'

'Freddie Flintoff Gaba 2001 - maahrvellous delivery. Aahh Mike Brierly, Centenary Test, aahh MCG, aahh Ian Botham, Headingley 1981, maahrvellous moments. And now back to you, aahh Jim Laker.'

[Ten octaves lower, distinctive accent, just as knowledgeable and dearly missed by us all] 'Well, thank you Ritchie....'

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ConocoPhillips 10K - February 2006 Sweder 10 4,937 03-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Nigel