• 14 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ConocoPhillips 10K - February 2006
28-02-2006, 07:56 PM,
You’re just a coca-cola cowboy
With a sexy smile and Robert Redford hair
And you walked across my heart like it was Texas
And you taught me how to say I just don’t care

I’ve enjoyed a long-term love affair with the State of Texas, and with Houston in particular. Whenever I meet Americans on my travels and I tell them that I lived in the home of NASA for almost two years they tilt their heads and say ‘Aw, I’m sorry to hear that.’ Houston is a much-maligned city, loathed by many for the copious amount of black gold sucked out of earth and ocean in the gulf coast region.

As many years as I’ve been visiting Houston – this year marks the 20th anniversary of my first wide-eyed arrival – I’ve never run in a race here. It seemed to me to be the perfect way to embrace the city. I’d tracked down the ConocoPhilips Rodeo Run on the internet as soon as I realised I’d get a chance to run on Saturday. The good people in administration steered me to Luke’s Locker, home to a veritable cornucopia of running swag that took my breath away. Just off the ‘plane, light-headed from lack of sleep, I gazed in wild wonder at the joys I had found. Luckily for my bank balance I arrived just as the store was due to close. I still managed to part with a hundred dollars in exchange for the new breed of Addidas Addistars - another running rule broken. 'Never run a race in brand new shoes.' Slapped wrist accepted, no damage done.

One extremely short and broken sleep later I was up well before the lark, at around 4.30 or so. I fussed and fiddled with various combinations, finally settling on a blue capped vest, lycra shorts and the new boots. A 6.30 pit stop at the hotel café for toast, honey, fruit and coffee and I set off for Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros baseball team and the finishing line for the Rodeo Run. The race organisers had their stuff together when they drew their plans; ample parking at the finish and numerous yellow school buses to shuttle the expectant athletes to the start at Smith and Texas. Houston addresses are all cross street references; Louisiana and Texas, San Jacinto and Montrose, Westheimer and Chimney Rock.

I took the first bus to the start area and spent an hour just wandering around taking it all in. A heavy mist shrouded the tops of the towers of steel and glass way above the gathering crowds. The air remained dry but I felt confident of a dousing at some point in the race. There’s a saying in Houston: if you don’t like the weather here, just wait a while. Texas takes its fair share of batterings from mother nature; tornados, hurricanes, violent storms, sweltering heat, choking humidity to name but a few of the less welcome tourists.

Racers assembled and the level of excited chatter rose steadily. To the left of the start area the first collection of cowboys gathered, preening their steeds in readiness for the city parade. The Texas A & M band (go Aggies!), 70-odd musicians, weaved their way through the throng of stretching competitors; they don’t do things by halves here. The temperature dropped a couple of degrees 30 minutes out from the start, and I glanced up to verify impending wetness. The banks of drizzly fog were now half way down the buildings, the heavy cloud meeting rising runners' babble to compress the air. And sure enough, no sooner had the impressively moustachioed MC announced a 5 minutes heads up, the first spots of rain arrived. Before the off the band treated us to a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, many runners around me stand to attention, hands over their hearts to pay due respect to their National Anthem. The final triumphant bars were greeted by a loud roar and spontaneous applause, immediately drowned out by the starters’ klaxon. Hurrah! Finally we’re off, and just in time, too. The drizzled had developed into a minor deluge and I was in danger of getting cold.

As we funnelled through the narrow start area, chip readers singing like demented crickets, I was struck by the volume of people lining the sidewalks of Texas and then Travis as we banked right. Texans love a parade, and it seemed that inclement weather would not stop them enjoying this one. Flags waved, hooters sounded and voices of all scales and ages roared us through downtown’s man-made forest. A left into Leeland saw the 5K runners leave our company as space on the road became a little more available. My pace felt good, quick-ish without too much strain on my breathing. The new boots were performing well, providing a welcome spring to my step and no discernable discomfort. Onto Austin and the sea of bobbing heads stretched out for over a mile ahead. This latest turn faced us into the wind, and I was forced to squint as cool rain lashed into my face. A zigzag through Preston into La Branch and a surprise; an elevated section of road crossing one of Houstons’ Bayous, the muddy waterways that snake through the city and out into the suburbs. The going at this point was tough; my pace remained good but my body grew more demanding of oxygen. I manfully sucked in lungfuls of damp air to meet the need but eventually had to ease off for half a mile or so. Onto Hardy and we’re well out of the city now, the pillars of Houstons’ man-made wealth replaced by the rickety wooden shacks of the suburbs. The crowd had thinned considerably by now, the social demographic changing with the architecture. Elderly and obviously far less well-off citizens gathered on their porches, not waving or cheering but staring non-plussed at the lunatics flogging themselves into what was by all estimation a rather unpleasant storm. Right onto Luzon, right again onto Elysian and the Houston skyline swung into view just as the wind and rain relented, lulled entirely finally to reappear at our backs. Only now did I appreciate how tough the last couple of miles had been. I relaxed the tension in my torso and arms, changing gear into an altogether more comfortable cadence. As we crested the Bayou once more the crowds returned to greet us with a deafening roar, wildly cheering and waving bedraggled flags bearing the Lone Star, symbol of the State of Texas. The striking profile of Minute Maid Park appeared from behind the courthouse and I knew the end was close. I went for a 'burst of speed' over the last few hundred metres, but mindful of how I looked on the video in Almería I’m sure any actual change of pace was of little or no consequence. Across the line in 48:07, a PB for the 10K, hand shakes all-round with my co-finishers and a few man-sized gulps of still air. Just as I realised the rain had stopped my internal thermometer started bleating; damn it was cold! I trotted off to the school buses and retrieved my togs, eagerly replacing my drowned vest with a warm, dry finishers’ shirt.

Après race amenities were excellent. Stalls laden with fruit, candy, bagels and drinks of all persuasions (yes even beer, though sadly only O’Douls, an alcohol free variety) cowered in the shadow of the 59 Freeway overpass. I wolfed a banana bagel (self assembled) and struck out for the car park, mind racing ahead to a warm shower and a cold beer or two.

The following morning I received an e-mail from the race organisers.
It warrants publication in full. I feel it reflects the quality and professionalism of the organisers. It’s posted below, along with any photos that come my way from the web site.

Hats off to Houston for a great race. I’ll be seeking business events in the area for this time next year - it’s a 'must do again'.
Who knows, it might even be dry next time.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-02-2006, 07:57 PM,
Howdy ASHLEY,

Thank you for participating in the 2006 ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run. With a record 6,374 participants, we were able to raise a record $145,000 toward the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Educational Fund, helping to provide college scholarships to qualified Texas students. To date, we have contributed over 1.6 million dollars to the Fund. On behalf of our 1,400 volunteers including ConocoPhillips employees, retirees, contractors, and family members, along with our wonderful sponsors, we sincerely appreciate your participation and support.

For those of you that participated in the 10K race, we used chip timing technology and have already posted your results on-line. Results include individual times, age group rankings, gender rankings, and graphs and charts. Furthermore, the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run continues the longstanding tradition of providing streaming video of 10K participants crossing the finish line. The streaming video can even be e-mailed by you to a friend, co-worker or family member. All of the 10K results including the streaming video can be viewed at: http://w3.conocophillips.com/RodeoRunRes...px?rn=4026.

Since the inception of the Rodeo Run 19 years ago, we have focused on continuously improving the event by asking all of our participants what went well and what areas do we need to improve. Please provide us your valuable feedback by taking a few minutes to complete the survey. Simply click on the link below:
http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB2252LG7PS2Z.

Finally, watch for more information on how to order photographs of yourself participating in the 2006 ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run.

Again, we thank you for your participation and helping us contribute a record to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Educational Fund.
See you next year.

ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run

28-02-2006, 08:21 PM,
Thanks for the report, Ash. What is it about races and rain this year? All 3 of mine have been pouring.

Sounds like a good event, and the free video is a first. Well done on the PB. You're on a good streak at the moment. Bodes well for Paris.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
01-03-2006, 10:22 AM,
Nice work! Great report - def makes me want to go there. The video is a great touch Wink
Run. Just run.
01-03-2006, 01:17 PM,
Indeed. I too watched the video. After a while I saw some jug-eared lard bucket wheeze across the line, but I gave up after that.

Didn't see you though Sweder. Big Grin
01-03-2006, 03:19 PM,
Many a true word spoken in jest, SP.
I'm nursing the Mother of all Hangovers this morning, not to mention an impressive beer belly. I've got three hours before leaving for the airport and foolishly (under the influence last night) pledged myself to a minimum of five miles around the local park before I go.

Chunks could well be blown Sad

01-03-2006, 05:30 PM,
I just couldn't face the public this morning, opting for 4 miles of mindless hell on the hotel treadmill.
Serves me right. I clutched my bottle of water, mobile phone and pathalogical fear of heights for the journey to the gym - on the 23rd floor. The instrument of my sweaty torture was pressed against a large window affording stunning views of downtown.

I struggled manfully to put all thoughts of illogical accidents involving the running machine lurching through the glass as I frantically try to run back into the building, wildly treading air like Wile E Coyote, to the back of my addled, tequila-trashed mind.

The TV monitor attached to the machine offered respite, an old episode of ER playing silently. I like ER, the early series especially so. George Clooney, an impossible mop atop his famously handsome visage, was saving children’s' lives and broiling nurses hearts in equal number; Dr Green busied from table to table, his terminal cancer as yet undiagnosed. Elizabeth was talking to Doctor Romano, the bald nightmare doctor from hell who rubs everyone up the wrong way, at the roach-coach over a cup of undrinkable mud passing as coffee. Hmm. I pondered the likely date of the episode as I slogged along at 7.5 miles an hour, rivulets of alcohol-soaked perspiration running freely down my wobbling lard. I was by now completely at ease, all thoughts of height-related calamity safely banished in favour of this guessing game.

Romano still has both arms, so he hasn't had the accident yet.
For those (many) people who don't avidly follow this quality American hospital soap, Romano has two encounters with helicopters; the first severs his arm, leading to terrible bouts of depression and no small amount of bother in the OR. The second finished him off as, in the midst of a particularly far-fetched episode another whirlybird crashes into the hospital building, lands on the doomed medic in the parking lot and for good measure explodes in a bloom of aviation fuel. The staff only discover his fate when the remains of his prosthetic limb are recovered . . .

Thoughts of the first incident reminded me that Romano's arm was severed by the tail rota of the aircraft on the hospital roof, many floors above downtown Chicago . . .

. . . oh bugger :mad:

01-03-2006, 08:25 PM,
Clooney Smooney ... oh hang on, we've been there already.
Run. Just run.
03-03-2006, 07:20 AM,
Finally received photos from the ConocoPhilips 10K last weekend.
Looking back on the race now the conditions were poor and I did find it tough to keep the pace 'up' during the second half (into the wind & rain). But I didn't remember it being as tough as this photo suggests! This was taken inside the last mile. Incredibly I recovered within seconds of the finish; nothing looks more unlikely here.

I've added a couple of screen shots from the general portfolio from the day, too. I'd have gone for hi-res images but the US photo company is just as proud of their work as the companies over here seem to be.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

03-03-2006, 11:10 AM,
Nice!
Run. Just run.
03-03-2006, 02:09 PM,
Another PB, amidst rain, jet-lag and cowboy hats. Now Paris awaits, and England expects...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  February 2017 Sweder 28 17,215 26-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  February 2016 Sweder 22 12,668 29-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  February 2014 Sweder 5 3,577 26-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Last Post: OutAlongTheRiver
  February 2013 Sweder 29 18,213 25-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  February 2011 Sweder 28 22,584 05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man