Anyone doing the Great North Run?
21-08-2005, 06:04 PM,
Hi everyone

I've not posted for a while, but with my forthcoming trip to England, for, among other things, the Great North Run, I wondered if any of you lot were making the journey?

Once again, I am running for Macmillan Cancer Relief, as my Mum has now been fighting lung cancer since July 2004 and has begun her second course of chemo. She has amazed everyone as the first we all knew about it was being summoned to the hospital on 31st July last year and being told to say our goodbyes. Somehow, Mum got through that night, then another, then had chemo, then more, then came out of hospital after 3 months and lived some life with us all.

Now, it's back with a vengeance and she's been in hospital for 3 weeks and has just started a new course of chemo. It's virulent and affecting more areas and making her very weak, but she's still here, fighting to stay with us.

During all this, the Macmillan centre and the Macmillan nurse have been great, so once again, I'm doing it for them, and my Mum of course. Mum may be out of hospital when I visit England too, which will be fantastic. Either way, I reckon galloping round 13.1m is nothing compared to the effort Macmillan put in each day.

I had the money I raised for the London Marathon transferred to GNR too after not attending due to illness, so I'm already £1200 up! Unfortunately, that doesn't appear on my new website (http://www.justgiving.com/johnpolley), but I am hoping to get a few new people to sign up.

Anyway, let me know if you are competing eh? And how is the training going guys?

Regards

JP
22-08-2005, 01:55 PM,
Hi JP - I had a plaxce if I wanted it but sadly can't make it due to work commitments - it's gone to another JDRF runner now. I'd love to do this one - it would fit my schedule perfectly for the Jog Shop Jog in October.

Good luck mate - I know this will mean a lot to you in view of the dissappointment of not making London.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-08-2005, 01:23 PM,
Yep, I'll be doing GNR! I was one of the suckers who paid £30 to become a Gold Member for the privilege of guaranteed entry for the next three years! Training's not going too badly 'cos am now also training for the Dublin marathon at the end of October so having to get some longer runs in.
27-08-2005, 01:42 PM,
Thanks for posting YP. Thought I was the only one! I'm sure there are another 50,000 out there somewhere.

I've returned to the UK early as my Mum's taken a turn for the worse. The cancer is taking over now and the docs have told us we have a few days left with her. If ever a run has a special meaning, this will be the one.

Cheers

JP
27-08-2005, 06:30 PM,
This post was in my mind when I went for my plod this afternoon JP.

Andy SP.
28-08-2005, 02:28 AM,
JP - I felt very sad indeed to read your last message.

You've been a great contributor here, and I know that all the usual posters, and even the silent lurkers, will be with me as we all join up together with you in our midst, and let you know that we're thinking of you, and that we'll be here for you to help in any way we can.

We're not a huge community here, but we are a community.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-08-2005, 07:15 AM,
Thanks for your wishes peeps

To be honest, if I can post some of my thoughts over the coming days/weeks, I think it would really help. So, that's what I'll do if you are willing.

Mum was a bit better yesterday. I think having all the family back together has helped her to rally her spirits. Previously, she was sleeping most of the day, but yesterday, she had 3 good spells of clarity for 1-2 hours at a time. It was great and so precious.

I broached the subject of whether she wanted to know what we'd all been told, but she was happy as she was. At the moment, we think maybe she will do better than the doctors say, which is Mum all over. She's still here 13 months after we were called to say goodbye to her!

I am lucky to have had the last year or so to reaffirm my feelings for Mum and I keep doing that every day. We are very close because she is everything to me and my brother and sister have a similar relationshop with her. All that meet her seem to love her, even distant family are coming to see her and explaining what high regard she is held in. The outpouring of affection is fantastic.

I sent her a card recently from Fuerte, which I had specially made with our picture on the front and a verse I'd written inside. It was my best expression of my feelings I'd ever composed. Maybe I'll post it here one dy if you can stand such sentimentality.

Anyway, thanks for your support. I know we haven't met, but your thoughts at this time are welcomed. I need to run on about this stuff as I am a sentimental sod!

I'm glad I'm a runner as it is amazingly good therapy at times like this. I'm off out for a long one now before I go back to the hospital.

Thanks again

John
28-08-2005, 03:53 PM,
JP - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Suzie
30-08-2005, 08:57 AM,
My thoughts are with you and your family. I have been there too.
31-08-2005, 06:11 AM,
Hi guys

Mum is still with us - and improving!!! She has become bright, more awake, started eating better and her breathing is ever so slightly better. The docs came back from the bank holiday and were amazed, having told us to expect the worst.

Having checked Mum over, they confirm there has been an improvement and that they may continue with her chemo if she remains well enough ie as good as she currently is.

It's times like this when collective will and family love plays a part, I'm sure. This can't be all medicine. She has come back from the brink, if only for a short while. Cancer remains in several places in her body, but at least she has some relief for now and she so wants to be with us longer.

Keep up the positive thoughts guys! And thanks...
31-08-2005, 08:16 AM,
That's good to hear, JP. A timely boost for you and your family. I'm sure your commitment and efforts both pre-London and now have had a positive effect on your Mum. Take that positive energy into your running and feel good about it. There's a lot of people out here sending you good thoughts Mate.

31-08-2005, 09:27 PM,
Great news, John. Keep us posted. I'm not sure how good communication is with your mum, but do let her know that we're all rooting for her.
El Gordo

05-09-2005, 06:20 PM,
Just to let you know Mum left us this morning around 4am. She'd fought hard but had enough. My family and I are relieved for Mum. It was too much of a struggle to go on.

We love her beyond words, which she always knew. I hope she'll be with me when I do GNR in 2 weeks. I think she will.

Cheers for the support guys. Will post when things calm down.

JP
05-09-2005, 06:24 PM,
I'm really very sorry to hear the news, John. Thanks for letting us know with that touching message. I'm sure all our thoughts are with you.
El Gordo

05-09-2005, 09:28 PM,
I´m terribly sorry, John.

I´m sure she will give you strength for the race.

Best wishes

Antonio

05-09-2005, 09:33 PM,
Sorry to hear your sad news, JP.
It's a small comfort to know that your Mum is free from suffering, and that she spent her last hours in the company of people that love her dearly.

The next couple of weeks will be an emotional rollercoaster I'm sure. If you do run the GNR, you can be assured there will be many of us wishing you well, and some of us yelling like loons at our tellies.

06-09-2005, 09:28 AM,
My thoughts go out to you too JP.
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM,
My thoughts will be with you and your family, and your Mum will definitely be with you on the GNR, I'll be shouting at the telly.
06-09-2005, 04:53 PM,
JP - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm sure this is a very difficult and emotional time for you all. I want to say that your mom must've been very special as your love for her came through so clearly in your postings.

Suzie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PMP my run marathondan 9 4,378 23-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Legends of the Long Run Sweder 0 1,284 23-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  first long run johnnyb 2 1,776 11-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Sunday Run 4 June 2006 gary c 3 1,979 03-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Last Post: steve scott
  "Run for Glory" marathondan 1 1,567 17-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Last run? MissChampers 10 3,671 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Great North Run - short review JP the Dream Chaser 5 2,326 20-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Last Post: MissChampers
  Has anyone run Munich or Essen marathon? shelagh 5 2,510 23-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Last Post: shelagh
  Recovery run - how long? Seafront Plodder 6 2,689 11-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Great North Run Yorkshire Plodder 12 4,675 30-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Riazor Blue