Great North Run - short review
20-09-2005, 10:07 AM,
Hi guys

Well, I did it (again). My 3rd GNR in a row and my last for a while I think. My day was problematic and the race somewhat of an anticlimax. However:

On the morning, I rose early and started drinking. Soon after, my stomach became more upset than usual before a race. Then breakfast at the B&B. Then back to the loo! And again. And again (I won't go into details).

My exploits on the loo meant a very late start to the drive into Newcastle (about 45 mins usually). After an horrendous journey and terrible trouble parking, then a walk to the start, I arrived with only 10 mins to spare. A quick pee and a climb over barriers once the gun went and I was away. 4 minutes til I crossed the start line, then people. Soooo many people. Worse than ever. Couldn't speed up. Lost 2 minutes from schedule by mile 2.

Then, a terrible stitch. I never get stitches, so this was a surprise. Even water made it worse. Controlled breathing, all that stuff, but no joy. So, it was a matter of pushing on as fast as possible and bearing as much pain as possible to maintain some kind of respectable pace. I seemed to pull some time back in the middle, but the stitch worsened. I drank as much as I could and pressed on. The heat was powerful, but not an issue for me as I live in similar temperatures all year.

By mile 10, I was slowing and the pain increasing. The Macmillan cheerers gave me a lift at 10.5 miles and then again at 12m. The last mile was run at 6.30 pace, so desperate was my ambition to do well.

So, considering the above and the fact that it was my precious Mum's funeral on Thursday, 3 days before the race, I can't complain at the result I guess: Position 828 Time 1hr33.30min.

I realise I may sound overly deflated by this, but you can imagine my thoughts: "what if I didn't have the stomach, the hassle at the start and the stitch?". I was in great shape going into it and was hoping for a fairytale ending by breaking one and a half hours for the first time in my life, but it'll have to wait for a smaller local race sometime eh. Maybe the London Marathon will be my chance to shine?

I'll let you know...
20-09-2005, 10:21 AM,
Well done John - a fantastic time considering all the things going against you - the crowdedness of the course, and your physical and emotional state.

I must confess I'm not a huge fan of the GNR. It's a race that really divides opinion. Many people love it, but I find it a little over-hyped and very expensive. I'm glad I did it (in 2003), but don't plan to do it again in a hurry. Gosh, I'll leave that joke to go begging.

Anyway, glad to see you back on your feet. I guess this must be a troubling time for you, but I'm sure things will start to settle down a little now.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-09-2005, 12:29 PM,
The crowds, the heat, a crippling side stitch and you still manage a 1:33!

I'm absolutely certain that you'll smash the 1:30 threshold next time.

I can't say that the thought of a race as crowded as the GNR has ever appealed to me. V. expensive and until this year I believe, not chip timed. Still, plenty of people do seem to want to do it despite the cost and crowds so who am I to argue.

Well done on your time and condolences for your recent bereavement.
20-09-2005, 03:49 PM,
I was reading today in the paper about the 4 people who died doing the GNR. I was really shocked to read that one guy had run it 24 yrs running then on his 25th on Sunday he collapsed and died. I always thought when there were fatalities in these races it were people who hadn't done any training whatsoever and could have had some underlying heart problem. I wonder what causes these apparently fit healthy people just to keel over and die after years of running? It certainly made me think that it could happen to any of us and no doubt it will cross my mind next week when i'm at the start line at Bristol.
20-09-2005, 04:55 PM,
MissChampers Wrote:I wonder what causes these apparently fit healthy people just to keel over and die after years of running?

Amongst inexperienced runners, dehydration and heat exhaustion are probably the commonest causes. If they over hydrate with plain water then hyponatraemia may ensue which is *very* nasty and can kill or permenantly addle your brain.

In addition, it's quite possible to have an undectected heart problem that only becomes a problem in extreme circumstances. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is high on the list as are intracardiac conduction defects that cause rhythm disturbances (and/or death).

I personally reckon if you've been running and racing regularly for years the chances of undetected HOCM and conduction defects are probably very slight so I don't lose any sleep over them. (If they were going to kill you, they'd probably already have done so). ;-)
20-09-2005, 06:43 PM,
Tim Wrote:Amongst inexperienced runners, dehydration and heat exhaustion are probably the commonest causes. If they over hydrate with plain water then hyponatraemia may ensue which is *very* nasty and can kill or permenantly addle your brain.

In addition, it's quite possible to have an undectected heart problem that only becomes a problem in extreme circumstances. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is high on the list as are intracardiac conduction defects that cause rhythm disturbances (and/or death).

I personally reckon if you've been running and racing regularly for years the chances of undetected HOCM and conduction defects are probably very slight so I don't lose any sleep over them. (If they were going to kill you, they'd probably already have done so). ;-)

I read about hyponatraemia a while back and isn't it something to do with too much water along with excess sweating depleting the body of salt and minerals? I always make sure now I drink one of those sports drinks beforehand as well as water and glucose gel.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PMP my run marathondan 9 4,378 23-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Legends of the Long Run Sweder 0 1,284 23-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  first long run johnnyb 2 1,776 11-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Sunday Run 4 June 2006 gary c 3 1,979 03-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Last Post: steve scott
  "Run for Glory" marathondan 1 1,567 17-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Last run? MissChampers 10 3,671 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Anyone doing the Great North Run? JP the Dream Chaser 18 8,542 06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Last Post: suzieq
  Has anyone run Munich or Essen marathon? shelagh 5 2,510 23-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Last Post: shelagh
  Recovery run - how long? Seafront Plodder 6 2,689 11-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Great North Run Yorkshire Plodder 12 4,675 30-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Riazor Blue