(I don't want to shout it too loud...but)
17-11-2005, 04:02 PM,
I've got a place inthe FLM 2006, a Gold Bond Place running for Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation.....gulp,Eek now I've got to do some serious training..Help/advice from anyone will be thankfully received.
17-11-2005, 04:40 PM,
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . . .
. . . congratulations SW!

If it's any help to you one bloke I know (in his 60's) runs the FLM every year and doesn't take a single training step until boxing day. If you start now you'll be right as rain.

Advice? Run frequently and build up slowly (this helps to avoid injuries).
It's taken me three years to work that out - I've almost got it now . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-11-2005, 05:11 PM,
stillwaddler Wrote:I've got a place inthe FLM 2006, a Gold Bond Place running for Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation.....gulp,Eek now I've got to do some serious training..Help/advice from anyone will be thankfully received.

Mad fool! It'll be all hot and crowded and noisy and in London and on roads and, and, and.... not my cup of tea. Wink Still, if you're doing it for charity, it's a good one. Get your justgiving donation page up and running and I'll chuck a couple of quid in your direction.
17-11-2005, 05:18 PM,
Good point Tim - get up and running online for your fundraising.
It's easy to fire off e-mails to people you barely know - some of them send money!!! Plus it's great not to have to chase people waving sponsor forms wildly for weeks/ months after the event. Just Giving and B My Charity are both excellent tools - the charity may well use one already.

I'd be happy to pass on further fund-raising tips any time.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-11-2005, 06:01 PM,
That's great, SW. Now you can run with Mr SW.

Best way to start raising money is to ring and then write to everyone you know with a Gift Aid form and your webpage address. Then send them all a Christmas card. Then write again in February, and again in late March, sending them some heroic training details each time. You could even point them to your new training diary on this site (now - there's an idea !).

It'll cost you a lot in stamps and surfing time, but hey - it'll be worth all that investment.

Another good trick is to ask your work to match all you raise. Tell them you'll get £400. Then actually raise £2400. Then add back in the Gift Aid and tell them that means they now owe you £3000....

Of course, I wouldn't stoop so low to try such tricks myself. Or did I (several times)....?
17-11-2005, 10:55 PM,
Well done SW. We'll be on your heels every step of the way. And we want to know all about it. Which reminds me...

Ah yes, cast your mind back to early June when you uttered these words:

...might even apply to Andy for my own diary one of these days...

Eek

You know it makes sense.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
18-11-2005, 02:21 PM,
I will be setting up my Just Giving page ASAP. Am quite tempted to take up your offer of a training diary Andy, might help to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Mr SW has offered to help with the fund raising, many thanks for the tips in that direction, I will happily donate to anyone else who is doing similar, (will log on to your Just Giving v. soon Sweder)

MrSW seems pleased at the prospect of having company on the long weeeknd runs - trouble is he's a bit faster than me :o

Physio is curretnly sorting out my foot and knee problems and my base line isn't too bad, will be doing the dreaded Stockport 10 miler in December - ooohhh I remember those B******d hills.

Am still a little shocked at the FLM prospect, (especially as (("whispers")) I will be 54 by then)
Phew this is hard work !
18-11-2005, 06:19 PM,
Hey SW

Will see you there on the day then. Really pleased for you. Go for it, you have plenty of time. Trust me. I started in November last year and was ready at least a month before the big day. Just as well, cos I couldn't run on the big day! Doh!

Good luck with it all

JP