Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benidorm half marathon. 27th Nov 2005.
30-11-2005, 03:03 PM,
I hadn´t been to Benidorm for many years. The first time I went there, I was around eighteen years old and I went with three friends to a concert on an chartered coach in summer. It was nearly thirty years ago and then it was already a symbol of crowded tourism. Nowadays, it is still a place crammed with tourists although in winter it is mainly for third age people. I must admit that I don´t like skyscrapers but I fancied going back to see the changes and run its cosmopolitan half marathon.

I arrived at about eight o´clock in Benidorm after a three and a half hour drive with a stop to have a cup of cocoa milk and two little cakes in Puerto Lumbreras in the province of Murcia. I found a place to park where a kind local policeman ,who I had asked where the town hall was, told me there was room for me to leave the car. I arrived at the town hall where the marathon race started at 8:30. There were about five hundred runners ready to run. The day was a bit cold, around 12º Celsius but the temperature went up a little later when the sun started to shine.

This race is amazing since on the same day they hold a marathon and a half marathon, with different km signs for both distances. The former starts at 8:30 and the latter at 10 o´clock. After the beginning of the marathon, I picked up my race number and was given a bag with a T-shirt, a juice, a chocolate, some leaflets… After that, I went to a café where I had another cup of cocoa milk and another cake. After getting changed at the car, I went back to the start line where I saw a lot of runners. There were around 1700 entrants with a lot of runners from different parts of Spain but also the UK and a few from The Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark.

At the start line, I met two men from Nottingham who wanted to do it in under two hours since they were recovering from injuries. The race started and the first half a kilometre, we had to go slowly due to the amount of people. I saw at kilometre 4 that I was doing 21´30´´ . We went towards the sea front meeting marathon runners on their way back. In km 10, I did 53´, which is very good for my level. After doing km 11 in 59´, I thought it could be possible to do the remaining ten kilometres under one hour. We went along the sea front with a view of those skyscrapers, one of them with the awful honour of being the tallest hotel in Europe. There were people cheering us along the course. There was a man disguised in Father Christmas clothes and a couple of British men said something about being delivered some presents. When they reached me, I said that it was too hot to run with those clothes and they agreed. There were also two young women dressed in a sort of uniform with trainers and an English flag doing the half marathon. At the sea front, you could see bars selling English food and beer. There were many people standing or sitting who cheered us. I met a man who was doing the marathon who was from Amsterdam.

Later, we went out of the city centre to go up a long straight soft hill reaching the marathon half marathon notice with an arch. Afterwards, we went up a little further to come downhill and afterwards we went back towards the start / finish climbing another soft hill. I remember that a man in the public who was with his wife, I imagine, saw that I was wearing my Reading half marathon T-shirt and said :”Reading, come on”. In km 18, I saw that I was doing one hour forty-two minutes. According to a friend who I met in Almería on Saturday before my local half, if you are doing one hour forty minutes or less in km 18, you can finish the half marathon under two hours if you can do the remaining three kilometres and 97 metres in twenty minutes. Therefore, I had to force too much and my legs felt stiff. So I managed to finish in 2 hours one minute 48 seconds real time. A few metres before the finish, there are two carpets, the red one for the marathon runners and the blue one for the half marathon runners. Unfortunately, there was a man lying on the carpet a few metres in front of the finish who several Red Cross volunteers were carrying on a stretcher .

I felt a bit tired with stiff legs but glad to have lowered seven minutes my time since Granada half marathon. I had coke, Aquarius, chocolate bars that were given at the stalls and went back to my car to come back home.

In conclusion, I´m glad to have been in Benidorm and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the experience of taking part in a half marathon with people doing the marathon as well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

30-11-2005, 05:26 PM,
Many congratulations on a great run, Antonio - which must surely have been your personal best, or very close to it. That was with a slow start and some hills, too, so you're really very close to your target now.

That two hour mark is there and ripe for the taking in 2006.... !
30-11-2005, 08:24 PM,
Nice one, Antonio.

So you left home at 4:30 in the morning, drove 3.5 hours then ran a half marathon? Sounds like you're in good form at the moment.

The omens look good for the Almeria Half. You should be able to dip under that 2 hour mark if you don't eat too many of those cakes over Christmas...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-11-2005, 10:20 PM,
I'm very impressed Antonio - you'll be flying past me in races now. I can't believe you drove all the way there and still were in great shape for a PB half marathon. Very good run. Under two hours is so feasible.

Wish I could commit to Almeria, but it's not looking good. Hopefully I see you in London for the marathon!

Suzie
30-11-2005, 10:42 PM,
Well done Antonio, the 2 hour barrier will go in Almería, surely. Six minutes improvement even taking the course into account is a hell of a difference.
01-12-2005, 10:35 PM,
Thank you very much, amig@s, for your support. I think that the two hour barrier can be reached but I don´t mind if I don´t succeed. I´d like to go on enjoying in training and races.

Regards

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014 Antonio247 5 3,991 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XVI Medio maratón de Almería 27th January 2013 Antonio247 6 5,241 18-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Worcester half marathon 15th April 2012 Antonio247 18 12,079 27-05-2012, 08:06 AM
  II San Silvestre Almería. 27th December 2009 Antonio247 6 5,986 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
  New objective : Almería half marathon Antonio247 74 58,983 10-02-2009, 08:53 PM
  Objective : Valencia half marathon Antonio247 53 38,233 16-11-2008, 03:25 PM
  10th Almería half marathon. 28th January 2007 Antonio247 9 5,748 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM
  Benidorm half marathon. 26th Nov 2006. Antonio247 18 9,513 05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Almeria Half 2007 El Gordo 5 3,378 31-10-2006, 09:09 AM
  Granada half marathon. 22nd October 2006 Antonio247 3 3,041 26-10-2006, 10:33 AM