Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Play...
19-01-2006, 08:29 PM,
State of Play...
There are a few here, too, on Jeremy's Eclectic Marathon Page.

http://www.interlog.com/~jedward/marathon.html#British
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-01-2006, 09:03 PM,
State of Play...
Thanks Tim Smile

I have a specific target in mind - the Two Oceans in Cape Town ('07). It fits your bill in as much as it goes from A to B over 52 k, albeit in a monstrous circle. The location is about as good as it gets - running in the shadow of Table Mountain, down and across the Cape Peninsular and back up Chapman's Peake, through the wine region of Constantia and back to Newlands.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is predominantly a road race, so it scores low there. My thinking is that I need to select a race (or I should say event - 'race' seems a little aspirational at this point) to shoot for that exceeds the 26.2, probably sometime in January/ February ’07.

I too like the off road trails. I enjoyed running with the Hash in Hong Kong, and all my training’s on mud, hills or flint paths. Thanks for the links chaps; I’ll have a shufty and may seek further advice if anything looks good.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-01-2006, 09:18 PM,
State of Play...
Darn! If only SP (on who's thread we're loitering) had seen this race advertised before retirement . . .Eek

There sure are a lot of mad races out there.
I like the idea of the Thames Meander - hard to call anything with 'meander' in the title harsh . . .

19-01-2006, 10:05 PM,
State of Play...
Tim Wrote:A 50K is automatically easier than a 40 miler just because it's shorter. It all depends on the course.

Doh! That should have read "isn't".
19-01-2006, 10:25 PM,
State of Play...
Tim Wrote:Doh! That should have read "isn't".

I thought everyone was able to edit their posts?

I've had a fiddle. Let me know if the Edit button is visible (next to Quote)
El Gordo

19-01-2006, 10:31 PM,
State of Play...
Sweder Wrote:There sure are a lot of mad races out there. I like the idea of the Thames Meander - hard to call anything with 'meander' in the title harsh . . .

I thought about doing the TM in 2006 but have opted for the Bramley 20 the next day instead. But in 2007 perhaps? It is Feb 18 in 2006, so could fit in well for a Two Oceans in April. The Thames Meander is 52 miles, but if you average just 4 miles an hour, you beat the cut-off. Then you all sleep on the floor of a school hall.
El Gordo

19-01-2006, 11:24 PM,
State of Play...
Sweder Wrote:Darn! If only SP (on who's thread we're loitering) had seen this race advertised before retirement . . .Eek

It's probably a little too late in the day now, but at least by waiting until next year SP could do the 460 mile race, unfortunately not offered this year or it might have tempted me along too Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
19-01-2006, 11:42 PM,
State of Play...
Andy Wrote:I thought about doing the TM in 2006 but have opted for the Bramley 20 the next day instead. But in 2007 perhaps? It is Feb 18 in 2006, so could fit in well for a Two Oceans in April. The Thames Meander is 52 miles, but if you average just 4 miles an hour, you beat the cut-off. Then you all sleep on the floor of a school hall.

A school hall?
Why didn't they highlight that in the sales blurb?!!
I'd have signed up right away . . .

Whoah.Sad
I just heard that Wilson Pickett died today (aged 64).
In the Midnight Hour and Mustang Sallyare truly great songs.
A slightly lesser known WP number, and one of my favorites, was Land of 1,000 Dances. RIP Wilson, and thank you for what we true belivers know to be the real R&B - Rythmn & Blues. I picked up an 8 CD collection - The Best of Atlantic Rythmn & Blues 1947 - 1974 - a few years back, loaded with Pickett classics along with songs by Ray Charles, Aretha, Sam & Dave and of course Mr Otis Redding. Well worth a spin.

07-02-2006, 08:57 AM,
State of Play...
Where's the re-hydration report from Almería then . . . Confused