Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Play...
11-01-2006, 08:22 PM,
State of Play...
When I was cajoled into running the FLM by a so-called friend back in the Summer of 2002, I never imagined that 3 ½ years later I would still be involved in this sport..

What was I thinking? I have never been the whippet-build necessary, let alone take it up at 41. Ok I could sprint a bit as a 14 year-old, but adolescence dictated that I would always be better at throwing things than running.

I am still proud of the fact that I could throw a cricket ball 53 metres at the age of 10. I was District javelin champion at age 16, and Bexhill On-Sea and District Haggis Hurling champ at age 20!!.Eek But running?? No bloody way.

It wouldn’t be until 21 years later that I would begin to run (for pleasure!) When I started I didn’t even know special shoes were made, let alone necessary. Web research led me to the RunnersWorld website, and then onto here. I owe Andy a huge debt of gratitude for encouraging me through those early times. I suppose I stayed here because it was obvious that this site was more biased towards the err….more social runner (than RW). Andy was (and still is Big Grin ) a few years older than me, a beginner slightly more experienced than me, but his early diaries seemed to mirror my own worries and concerns with uncanny accuracy.

Anyone who has run a marathon or is considering one will know the absolute, unwavering dedication necessary to complete the task. I printed the following piece that Andy wrote in his early days, and stuck it on my wall to remind me of my goal…It helped, more that he will ever know.

“But what few understand is that every frozen minute of training, every shred of pain, every missed indulgence, every ounce of frustration and tedium and dread that fill those long pre-race months... are all worth it. When you pile up all those great rocks of pain and sulkiness and boredom and sacrifice on one side of the scales, and your solitary finisher's medal on the other, you find to your astonishment and delight, a perfect balance”

I am proud to be able to say that I have successfully run three marathons, very proud. But the truth is that I don’t know if I have another one in me.

In my New York Marathon Race Report , I tried to put into words how much that race took out of me. Not physically, no that kind of pain soon fades. It is mentally that I suffered most. I wrote about seeing Mrs SP at mile 17, (pic below) and telling her I wanted to quit – there and then. I was suffering badly with calf cramp; 1st Avenue was mentally draining because it is so bloody long – and straight, that I remember crying at the frustration and pain of it all. But it was she who reminded me of the shedload of MS Society sponsorship money, it was she who convinced me that I would finish the race, and it was she who reminded me how I would feel crossing the finishing line. And for that I am indebted to her.

Following NY I have done a couple of other ½’s, but prior to the Reebok Brighton 10K I twisted an ankle on the tennis court, missed that race and really have only done a few small plods since. Frankly I am enjoying being free from the pressure (because that is what it can be) of a training schedule.

Granted I could go out now and run 3 miles in relative comfort – something I couldn’t do 4 years ago – but I think at the moment I need……actually I’m not sure what I need. Perhaps we can pick this up over a glass of something in Almería.

SP

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

11-01-2006, 09:44 PM,
State of Play...
That sounds like the right decision for you, SP, and you should feel unburdened for reaching it and talking about it. There are plenty of people out there who have done marathons, but who no longer do them. A bit like what I was saying about the GNR on another thread. I'm glad I did it, but wouldn't want to do it again. I've been there, done that, what's next?

I don't feel the same way about marathons. They are there to torment us, but for some reason I'm fascinated by that torment, whereas most people have a far more rational attitude towards them, and stay away from them. It's nothing to do with courage or determination or ambition, or a lack of. It's actually much more to do with the simple practicalities of life, like the availability of time, the ability to establish a routine and the avoidance of injury. But most of all, it's about motivation; this one thing is the lever for all the other things. If you have motivation, you invent determination. You discover energy. Time appears where no time existed. But it sounds like your appetite has been satisfied, and you've just run out of motivation for another slog.

I remember when I was skating over the Tower Bridge cobbles at Mile 22 in that first marathon, overhearing two women runners talking. "This is definitely my last marathon", said one. "I love the race and the occasion, but it's all the bloody training that I can't take anymore. If I could just do the race without losing months of my life, I'd carry on doing it."

Sounds to me like you're agreeing with that very rational thought. I'm sometimes tempted to think the same, but the motivation just never quite goes away. It's a pitiful admission, but I look forward to the annual marathon and all the planning that goes into it. Not just the training but the location of the race.

Anyway, it's good to make the decision. No doubt we will talk about it some more over a glass of something Spanish in Almeria. Maybe you'll discover your vocation as a race photographer...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-01-2006, 10:28 PM,
State of Play...
Well SP, it looks like we won't be running together in London after all - unless you find some motivation or something over a glass of wine or two in Spain. While I'm disappointed, I can completely understand. You've run 3 marathons already, that's more than most people could even think about. Been there, done that. I'm thinking myself that this might be my last, so I know where you're coming from. A person can easily go out and run a 10 km. without much motivation, but you simply cannot do that with a marathon - it becomes your life for a few months.

But that doesn't mean you can't come in for the London marathon and help celebrate at the end. Or become the official RC photographer where you simply must show up at events where RC people are (and not just running events!).

And I am very jealous that you're going to Spain as well...you guys are going to have 'too much fun'!

Suzie
11-01-2006, 10:34 PM,
State of Play...
Don't worry Suzie, we'll save a bit of fun to spread around for your visit. Don't forget to let us know your itinerary nearer the time, and we'll sort out some R & R.
El Gordo

12-01-2006, 12:02 AM,
State of Play...
There should be quite a cheerleading group in London, Suzie.
Both Andy & I will be hobbling along after our exertions in Zurich and Paris respectively. SP will no doubt be testing the latest digital image capture device (and waving pints in your general direction) and, unless he's rock-climbing in darkest Peru (or, just as likely, has sneakily entered the race!) Nigel might be persuaded to join us.

SP, I feel your pain. You and I have talked about this and I know you've made the right choice for you. To be honest I couldn't face another FLM this year. I wasn't even that excited about Paris until that race became a potential stepping stone to an altogether different challenge.

I have you to thank for this whole madness.
You got me thinking I could rise from the couch to tackle a marathon (bloody Guinness again!), trained with me, got me into RC and the mystical wisdon of Andy and Nigel and helped me achieve goals I could never have dreamed of. As a result of that blasted afternoon in The Chalk Pit a new and incredible world opened up to me.

I get the impression you feel bad in some way about your decision: don't. Andy said it - it's right for you right now. You've been there, done that, got the T-Shirt (three, actually). You've looked deep into yourself under the most extreme pressure and found yourself equal to one of the ultimate challenges. You are and will always be a marathon runner.

The relief of making your decision will lift a great weight from your shoulders (if not your middle) and you can, if you fancy it, take on the occasional race for fun.

That is, after all, what this is supposed to be about.
Good on you mate.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-01-2006, 02:55 AM,
State of Play...
Eminently sensible. Enjoy your life free from this madness Smile

Run. Just run.
12-01-2006, 08:10 AM,
State of Play...
Sweder Wrote:and, unless he's rock-climbing in darkest Peru (or, just as likely, has sneakily entered the race!) Nigel might be persuaded to join us.

He got a ballot place -- didn't he?
El Gordo

12-01-2006, 09:16 AM,
State of Play...
Sweder Wrote:As a result of that blasted afternoon in The Chalk Pit a new and incredible world opened up to me.

Crikey. Another geologist confesses...? I can hardly wait. I've had quite a few afternoons like that myself.
12-01-2006, 09:28 AM,
State of Play...
Although this is not necessarily my obituary; I'm not saying never.

I'm saying not now. I'm enjoying the sloth and gluttony that is no training schedule

Tennis will keep me ticking over, and I do intend to keep plodding just to keep my eye in (as it were). Perhaps with the odd shorter race thrown in.

And yes, I shall be binning a ballot place in London.
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM,
State of Play...
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Although this is not necessarily my obituary; I'm not saying never.

I'm saying not now. I'm enjoying the sloth and gluttony that is no training schedule

Tennis will keep me ticking over, and I do intend to keep plodding just to keep my eye in (as it were). Perhaps with the odd shorter race thrown in.

And yes, I shall be binning a ballot place in London.

You know what I'm going to say, don't you SP? Smile When the lure of marathon fades, it's time to move on to ultra!

I know, I know. "Don't be so silly!" is what you're probably thinking but before you dismiss it out of hand, bear in mind that trail ultras are easier than road marathons. The courses are all different and consequently, there's no point in worrying about PBs etc. Just completing them is immensely satisfying. Walking the steeper bits is perfectly okay and if you pick the right ones, the scenery can be wonderful. Forget about the distance, it's more like lightweight hiking with a bit of jogging thrown in where you can.

You don't have to run mega-milage in training either. It helps obviously if you've got goals beyond just getting around but you certainly don't have to train obsessively and in every spare moment.

Anyhow, enough of that. Do whatever you feel is right for you. Just don't dismiss ultras because you think the extra distance will make them even harder than marathons. If you pick trail ones, it won't. They're also a lot more fun.

All the best. Tim
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM,
State of Play...
Good reminder, Tim. I'm still planning to do one or two of these events later this year. Not ultra-distance at this point, but something shorter just to get the flavour of them, with the longer-term plan of a longer distance. Sounds to me like the pleasures are more complex and (therefore) more enticing than the pounding slog of the long road race. Once I've got Zurich out of the way, I'll have a think about what to do. All seafront plodders would be welcome to join me......
El Gordo

12-01-2006, 01:38 PM,
State of Play...
I was thinking of joining the Ultras . . . but I can't stand Paulo Di Cannio. Sorry.
I just can't forgive him for keeping his cool and slipping the ball under Barthez when the French clown tried appealing for offside instead of blocking his shot . . .

I'm into this idea of the longer distance/ less pressure idea. Not sure it's what SP had in mind, but I can see the attraction. So Tim, any events you've done that you would heartily recommend to Ultra Freshmen?

12-01-2006, 01:59 PM,
State of Play...
Maybe you should pencil in the Jog Shop Jog again this year? I'm up for it if it fits in with any other plans.
El Gordo

12-01-2006, 02:17 PM,
State of Play...
You've just made my day, Sweder.

You are, of course, referrring to that lyrical moment when West Ham beat Man Utd in the Cup a year or two ago, thanks to Paolo di Canio's eccentric brilliance.

It seems a long time ago, and whilst I saw Jermaine Defoe score a highly-deserved and richly-acclaimed (if undoubtedly offside) late equaliser at Upton Park against Man U in one of his last league games there, West Ham have certainly suffered at United's hands since.

So I'd almost forgotten that famous Cup Tie.

But I've remembered it now. And all I need to do now is go and call the Burton players to remind them in time for that replay...
12-01-2006, 02:45 PM,
State of Play...
andy Wrote:Maybe you should pencil in the Jog Shop Jog again this year? I'm up for it if it fits in with any other plans.

Excellent plan, Caruthers!
I'll get on to Sam and find out if they've set a date.

12-01-2006, 02:59 PM,
State of Play...
As you will see from my intro on the JDRF section I am doing the 06 FLM returning for the second time, my first 12 years ago. I will not bore you with details but a back problem prevents from running too much so I try to phase it, clearly building it up now but only running once a week usually. I try to mix in swimming and cycling too and do the odd sprint triathlon to keep motivated. At under 2hrs these events are challenging but achievable and make for more inspiring training, I think so anyway.
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM,
State of Play...
The RW 'audit' for the Jog Shop Jog is published here. Makes for interesting reading - I'm even more gutted that I missed out last year.

Andy, I'll be running that route on consecutive Sundays in March. If you fancy doing the route sometime during your prelude to Zurich let me know.

Jog Shop website's down at the moment. I called the shop just now and they reckon 2nd week of October-ish for 2006. Good enough for now . . .

12-01-2006, 03:04 PM,
State of Play...
Pegasus Wrote:I try to mix in swimming and cycling too and do the odd sprint triathlon to keep motivated. At under 2hrs these events are challenging but achievable and make for more inspiring training, I think so anyway.

Sounds like a hoot, Pegasus.
Sadly I swim like a brick . . .

12-01-2006, 07:36 PM,
State of Play...
Pegasus Wrote:I try to mix in swimming and cycling too and do the odd sprint triathlon to keep motivated. At under 2hrs these events are challenging but achievable and make for more inspiring training, I think so anyway.

True, triathlons are a hoot Pegasus. Sadly, like Sweder, my swimming style is also brick-like.

Now, if they incorporated a set of tennis into a tri, maybe SP could be persuaded out of that hammock?
Run. Just run.
19-01-2006, 04:11 PM,
State of Play...
Sweder Wrote:So Tim, any events you've done that you would heartily recommend to Ultra Freshmen?

Hi Sweder, I missed your question abou ultras until today. Apologies for that.

As to what constitutes a good ultra it's hard to say because so much of it comes down to personal preferences.

I'd run a mile (or 100) rather than do a multi-lap ultra. I like events that take you somewhere despite the inconvenience. There's nothing like travelling from A to B over some inconceivable distance for giving you an immense feeling of satisfaction.

I'm not keen on the idea of running ultras on roads either. Much harder on the legs and besides, running on trails is just so much more fun.

I haven't found a good single website that lists all the UK ultras but this one will give you a few pointers. http://www.ultrarunner.co.uk/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=79&Itemid=4

A 40 miler is a nice distance to start with although don't be fooled into thinking you can judge events by distance. A 50K is automatically easier than a 40 miler just because it's shorter. It all depends on the course.

HTH

Tim