Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A conundrum to mull over.
09-02-2006, 01:25 PM,
came across this on another site. I've not seen it here although no doubt it has been discussed elsewhere by members here. An intersting conundrum.

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of giant conveyer belt).

The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane's speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same as that of the plane, but in the opposite direction.

Can the plane take off?
09-02-2006, 01:51 PM,
Nope. Lift from the wings is dependent upon airspeed, not groundspeed (or even relative groundspeed). In this case, if I've understood the configuration correctly, the plane has an airspeed of zero, and it isn't going anywhere.

Now, if the plane and belt were all located in a windtunnel, with a 200mph headwind directed towards the plane - in that case, the airflow over the wings would generate sufficient lift for the plane to take off, even though its effective groundspeed was still zero.
09-02-2006, 04:03 PM,
Yes . . . just take the cheese away from the mice, they'll stop running on their little treadmills, the runway will grind to a halt and the plane will whizz off down the runway and launch into the skies.

Oh, sorry . . . were you being serious?
I'll get me aviators' jacket . . . Sad

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-02-2006, 04:04 PM,
But I'm not sure why :o

You appear to be saying that if a plane requires (say) ground speed of 80mph to generate enough airspeed to lift, then it could not take off with an 80mph tailwind because airspeed would be zero.
10-02-2006, 05:46 AM,
...while you guys are busy arguing over giant conveyor belts and cheese-wielding mice, the pilot has taken himself off to the bar and is too pissed to fly the bloody thing anyway.

Serves you right for flying EasyJet.
Run. Just run.
10-02-2006, 07:19 AM,
Not sure if this was ever meant to be taken seriously.

But if so, then to my mind, SP's proposition:
Seafront Plodder Wrote:You appear to be saying that if a plane requires (say) ground speed of 80mph to generate enough airspeed to lift, then it could not take off with an 80mph tailwind because airspeed would be zero.
seems to be correct. Lift is generated by the relative motion of wings to air.

Is this some sort of allusion to the futility of running on a treadmill?
10-02-2006, 11:57 AM,
SP's assertion visa vis the 80 mph tail wind is technically correct; however, aircraft tend to operate at a good deal more than 80 mph, and I doubt anyone would be attempting to take off in such high winds anyway.

This is definately getting waaaay too serious . . .
Time for some

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

10-02-2006, 12:15 PM,
Sweder, I heartily agree with your proposal, but it seems we're all wrong. See here. When the pilot starts the engines, the plane moves as normal, no matter how fast the wheels are spinning on the treadmill. Or to put it another way, no matter how fast the treadmill turns, it won't be able to stop the plane moving and taking off (unless it moves so fast as to melt the bearings in the wheels...)

NB I particularly like the explanation "imagine you're standing on a health-club treadmill in rollerblades while holding a rope attached to the wall in front of you" - something I do all the time of course.

SP, did you know the answer when you first posted this?
10-02-2006, 12:51 PM,
Nope. Still being discussed elsewhere, although as here, some posters are hell bent on taking things waay off topic. Sad
10-02-2006, 02:30 PM,
Ok, enough already.
I asked my mates over at RAF Sweder to have a bash at it.
They've got a super test track that permits vehicles to reach excessive speed 'on the spot'. The outcome was the aircraft will take off, but in an uncontrollable way. Irregular lift causes instability resulting in misdirection of thrust.

Think I'm kidding?
Take a look at the evidence.

Right SP - you up for a beer tonight or what?

13-02-2006, 11:58 PM,
Fed up with all the Valentines Day smultz?
Here's one for the realists . . .

14-02-2006, 01:24 AM,
Have I posted this before?

Particularly for the chaps, if you want a Valentine card that will save a few pennies but still thrill your lass, just print this off.......

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.