Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 - May
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM,
2006 - May
Cheers Dan, though I think the "provisional" becoming "definite" is a formality. I think this is just the legally necessary consultation period. Shit happens.

The race sounds like a possible. I'd been planning various things in May and June though it looks like these are out the window now. Could be up for it.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-05-2006, 05:58 AM,
2006 - May
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - some Scouse bloke.

andy Wrote:I'd been planning various things in May and June though it looks like these are out the window now.
Looks like instead of throwing yourself into HR training, you will have a period of enforced reflection. I'm sure you'll make use of it - but here's hoping it's not too long.
12-05-2006, 09:08 AM,
2006 - May
Best of luck, Andy! I hope everything will get better.

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

Antonio

12-05-2006, 10:17 AM,
2006 - May
Andy, that is really grim, on top of shingles too. I Hope they give you a decent package and that the job market is buoyant in your area.
12-05-2006, 12:06 PM,
2006 - May
Really sorry to hear this Andy, hope things look up soon and you feel better
12-05-2006, 12:19 PM,
2006 - May
Thanks very much guys, but I'll be OK, I'm sure.

Confused
El Gordo

12-05-2006, 03:35 PM,
2006 - May
That's tough news Andy. I know its hard on everyone - even the ones that do stay...life will be different. I hope the next opportunity that is just around the corner is an exciting one... and just to let you know, we have plenty of work here in Calgary.

Take care,

Suzie
12-05-2006, 03:39 PM,
2006 - May
suzieq Wrote:and just to let you know, we have plenty of work here in Calgary.
Suzie

Tempting, Suzie. And at least you guys speak English, unlike those chaps to the south of you.... Big Grin
El Gordo

13-05-2006, 05:24 AM,
2006 - May
Really sorry to hear about the bad breaks Andy. Looking on the bright side though, you won't be ill forever, and when you're up and about again, there will still be a slightly absurd American man strolling round somewhere who doesn't understand the meaning of 'pontificate'. You are unwell, he is stupid - your condition is temporary, his, I suspect, is terminal.

On the bright side, never has there been so little reason to buy a QPR season ticket, anyway. What do you mean, you can see why I failed the interview with the Samaritans?

All you have to do now is hang in there, get well, and disgrace yourself at the leaving party. As for the American boss, just remember that old South London maxim - if you can't beat them, at least land enough blows to cause them as much temporary discomfort as you can manage.

Counselling eh? It's a doddle...
13-05-2006, 10:23 AM,
2006 - May
Thanks for the sentiments Mick, though I may need to call on a favour or two after I'm gone, so will probably pass on the physical violence suggestion.

I'm actually feeling pretty positive about things. I have one or two irons in the fire.

Talking of irons, come on West Ham! We've not had a cup final upset for a while.

Agree about the QPR season ticket. I'm not going to renew for the first time in a good few years. Will pick and choose my games. Am currently reading Stan The Man, the ghosted autobiography of Stan Bowles. He may have been a bit before your time, but one of my all-time heroes. Still hangs out in the Sheherds Bush bookies, and occasionally seen propping up the bar of one of the local hostelries. You can't imagine too many current Prem stars in that future category. Yeah, 2036. Wheezey old black guy shaking his head in the corner of the Holloway Road bookies. "Excuse me, aren't you Thierry Henry...? Wow, let me buy you a pint next door..." Big Grin
El Gordo

13-05-2006, 11:14 AM,
2006 - May
andy Wrote:Talking of irons, come on West Ham! We've not had a cup final upset for a while.

Nor a contest for that matter.
I too will cheer on the Claret and Blue, though I fear a comfortable stroll for the men in red, given their recent cup final pedigree. What wouldn't we give for Liverpool to go 2 - 0 up, only for E. Sherringham to bag the winner in the 89th minute.

As for your American, I favour a recital of the Bob Hoskins Long Good Friday - 'bit more than an 'ot dog' speech. Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-05-2006, 11:59 AM,
2006 - May
I'm not that bothered about the cup final result. I'm looking for a bit of drama and excitement first and foremost. If Liverpool win 4-3 that will do me, but if it's a more pedestrian affair, it would be nice to have a bit of an upset.
El Gordo

13-05-2006, 05:39 PM,
2006 - May
As the old line went, if Stan Bowles could have passed a bookies the way he passed a football, he'd have been better than Pele...

A little bit before my time, true, but I watched the the tapes from when I was young - my Dad's a football journalist, too - (a better one than me!), and I was brought up watching players like Stan. Close control, bottle, vision, tenacity, flair and sheer, undiluted talent. He had the lot. Don't even think about what he'd be worth if he was playing nowadays. Same goes for someone like Billy Bonds - a right back who can play right midfield, centre half and scores goals.

Try putting a price on him in the lunacy of the Abramovich era...
13-05-2006, 05:43 PM,
2006 - May
Commiserations to the Hammers after a stonking match - shame there had to be a loser really, but that's football.

It's hard to begrudge Steven Gerrard a winners' medal after playing himself to a standstill but I can't think of anyone else in a red shirt who deserved one. As 12 months ago all the penalty shoot out managed to do is underline what an unsatisfactory way this is to settle important matches.

Hope the Hammers have better luck next year.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-05-2006, 09:16 AM,
2006 - May
I have been reading your website for years and find it entertaining.Hope all goes well on the job front. Perhaps you should submit your diary entries to a publisher ?
15-05-2006, 09:24 AM,
2006 - May
If it's any consolation Andy, I was given a redundancy just over 4 years ago, and life does go on. I wouldn't say it was the best thing that ever happened to me, but like a surgical operation, you have little choice in the matter; it's not necessarily pleasant, but you get through it and then life starts over again, and may even be prolonged because of it.

In short - I wouldn't go through it again by choice, but it does have its positives.

One thing's for sure - it won't stop you running.

Good luck mate.
Run. Just run.
15-05-2006, 02:19 PM,
2006 - May
Shahid Wrote:I have been reading your website for years and find it entertaining.Hope all goes well on the job front. Perhaps you should submit your diary entries to a publisher ?

Thanks Shahid, glad you stepped out of the shadows. I often get mails from people saying they've been reading the site for a long time. It always surprises me, but I'm grateful.

If you want to tell us more, it would be interesting to hear about your running sometime.
El Gordo

15-05-2006, 02:27 PM,
2006 - May
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:If it's any consolation Andy, I was given a redundancy just over 4 years ago, and life does go on. I wouldn't say it was the best thing that ever happened to me, but like a surgical operation, you have little choice in the matter; it's not necessarily pleasant, but you get through it and then life starts over again, and may even be prolonged because of it.

In short - I wouldn't go through it again by choice, but it does have its positives.

One thing's for sure - it won't stop you running.

Good luck mate.

I'm actually pretty sanguine about it. (No idea what sanguine means, but people seem to use it in situations like this.)

It happened to me once before, 7 years ago, and I was worried then. This time, I think it could be my big chance to do something on my own. Will wait and see. As I said, I have a few options that I'm exploring. The key thing about redundancy seems to be to attack the problem head on, and not to sit around stewing for too long, which only invites negativity and apathy. I'll be OK, I'm sure.
El Gordo

15-05-2006, 05:05 PM,
2006 - May
Hi Andy

been running on and off for a few years now. I aim to run 3 /4 times a week with a minimum of 30 mins running. MAin goal is to keep the weight off and get away from the missus for half an hour. I lost half a stone last year ,felt great ,then lapsed over the winter. Hope to get in a more disciplined routine in the next month or so.Did 30 mins this morning-occasionally step over a dead fox ,which is quite interesting since I live in a built up area in North London. Arm chair supporter of Aresenal FC.Incidenatally my AUnt lived in flast over looking the QPR ground about 28 years ago,remembervisting her and overlooking the ground. Dodgy area
19-05-2006, 09:01 AM,
2006 - May
How are the shingles and the job situation???? Hope things are looking up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2006 - December El Gordo 29 12,860 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2006 - November El Gordo 38 18,686 05-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2006 - September El Gordo 78 41,254 01-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2006 - August El Gordo 22 10,567 07-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Last Post: MickCollins
  2006 - July El Gordo 7 4,185 10-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler