Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 - May
09-05-2006, 06:18 PM,
2006 - May
May stuff here, if you wish.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-05-2006, 07:36 PM,
2006 - May
Sorry to hear you're under the weather, even more so that your Mum's not feeling so good. Of course true sympathy here is that rarest of commodities, so I'll not spoil things by getting all weepy.

I could cry me a river for those poor souls at Spurs though.
All this garbled nonsense about iffy lasagne; surely it’s a simple case of Tottenham bottling it under pressure again? I'm certainly no Gooner but at least the Wenger Boys stand up to be counted (except for Pires; standing up for any length of time appears to be beyond him).

Further joy comes to North London with news of the imminent departure of 'Horse' Van Nistelrooy from these shores. No Beckham, no Keano, no Ruud; who on earth will Rory McGrath and the sycophant Alan Davies have to shoot at now? Good luck to the alternative French team at their true home ground next week; for all the vitriol and sour grapes I hope they wipe that dreadful leer from Ronaldinho's chops. People speak of ‘the magician playing with a smile to light up the world’ but I’m not buying it; there’s something a little disturbing about the lad that makes me a tad queasy. (Perhaps it was his refusal to speak to man United? Ed).

I find myself in agreement with something Prof. Wenger said in the press this week. He referred to Henry as 'the best player in the world'. I can't argue with that. Why do these hackneyed Europhile FIFA/ UEFA types have to vote for a South American or anyone playing in Italy for Player of the Year? Stay, go, CL winners' medal or no, Thierry is peerless.

I read an amusing aside on one of the forums vis a vis the call-up for the boy Walcott and the omission of the White Hart Bottler Defoe and the over-rated Marcus Bent. Something about a Dad being most upset as his wife had a very talented foetus gestating and he felt sure he should get the nod . . . slightly more puzzling is Arsene’s insistence that young Theo can cut the mootard on the largest stage in the sport . . . so much so that he won’t be needed for the CL final in Paris Confused Shurely shome mishtake?

If you look in the mirror, do you see a donut staring back at you? I do.
Now there's a reason we all need to get out of bed Sad
Get well soon.
09-05-2006, 11:45 PM,
2006 - May
Cheers Sweder, though my mood has hardly lightened -- for reasons I'll mention in my next entry.

I've always been ambivalent about Spurs. They were the team my older brother supported when I was a kid, an enthusiam presumably born in the double-winning era that I was too young to have remembered. I don't care much about them either way, though I have to say that the general derision following the food-poisoning incident seems a little harsh to me. Surely people don't genuinely believe that this was some elaborate scheme to have the match rescheduled?

I actually feel sorry for them, that this should have happened hours before such a huge game.

The apparent pleasure i took in my entry was about Arsenal getting the place rather than Tottenham losing it. Almost imperceptibly over the years, I've come to like Arsenal more and more. I saw them at Wembley a few times in the 60s and 70s (including the Charlie George cup final in 1971) but felt indifferent. But the Wenger era has been a joy to behold. I saw the recent away victories (Sunderland, Man City) on TV, and was entranced by some of their football.

I suspect they won't win the Champions League, but here's hoping...
El Gordo

10-05-2006, 06:34 AM,
2006 - May
Pull yourself together, men. I need hardly remind you, surely ? 'There's only one team in Larn-den'.

Now perhaps you can finally understand my slow progress around Canary Wharf a couple of Sundays back - I had a little errand to arrange in the kitchens of the Marriott. It's a fair cop, guvna.

I still haven't got a Cup Final ticket. Despite the efforts of mates, mates' mates, and blokes down the pub, the nearest thing has been a £ 2 500 offer on the net. I'm not in favour of such toutery, but needs must sometimes. Not at that price, though.

The most worrying thing down the pub last night was the jovial attentions of all the Liverpool fans I know. 'May the best team win,' they all smiled. Erk.

I thought (or rather, hoped) that was the whole point of Cup football, that sometimes they don't.

Come on, you Irons !
10-05-2006, 07:35 AM,
2006 - May
My colours are well and truly nailed to the mast in shimmering claret and blue, Nigel. West Ham have a healthy tradition for exactly the sort of football that Monsieur Wenger champions in Norff Larn-den, albeit sometimes (often?) their undoing. I spend a lot of time opposite a plastic scouser at work. A Liverpool win would be hard to take.

I think the scorn poured on Spurs after the Marriott incident comes more from the percieved need to congregate in a top hotel when all you need to do is meet at your own ground, have some home-coooked nosh and nip down the frog for a dust up with the locals. It's all a bit Champions League, all this staying in hotels malarky. It also encourages other nefarious activities for which overpaid, over-rated young sportsmen are renowned. It's asking for trouble.

Whatever happened to picking the lads up on the minibus from the corner, eh?

Replay? Only on Soccer AM, ya front-wheelers!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-05-2006, 08:57 AM,
2006 - May
TalkSport is also available at http://www.sweder.com
10-05-2006, 10:12 AM,
2006 - May
Cool link. One takes you to Zeppelin University . . . that's the place for me!

I like the concept of TalkSport being the provo wing of Sky Sports. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Five Live man and rarely venture over to the Dark Side (unless TS has cricket commentary as they did a few years back, the incomporable Mark Nicholas alongside Geoff 'Bruiser' Boycott).

For a more balanced view on footballing matters visit Robbo on the Beeb website. Classy stuff.

10-05-2006, 12:03 PM,
2006 - May
Sorry to hear you are laid low Andy, not the sort of weather for lounging in boudoirs, hope you pick up soon, a visit to the doc might speed things up??

A Hammer's win might be just what you need - hope to goodness the Liver Lads don't win, there is someone here at work who just wouldn't let any of us ever forget it :-(

Am personally in mourning for the exit of Ruud...
10-05-2006, 12:26 PM,
2006 - May
Thanks SW, I do have a rare visit to the doc's arranged for tomorrow morning. Rather worryingly, I just spoke to a colleague who was reporting v similar symptoms. Her doctor says she has a highly contagious virus. Sounded something like Parva's but the only thing I can find on the web similar to this is Parvo's Virus but this is supposed to affect dogs only!

I may find out more tomorrow. If I survive till then...... Eek

Woof woof!
El Gordo

10-05-2006, 12:50 PM,
2006 - May
Aha. That'll be Paavo's, Andy.

Afflicts great runners who set astounding marathon bests. The recommended treatment is to run even faster in Helsinki.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/athletes/profi...I_ID=53102
10-05-2006, 01:44 PM,
2006 - May
Andy,

Parvo B19 affects humans, most commonly kids (slapped-cheek). I had never heard of slapped-cheek but number 1 son got it when he was two so looked it up then

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/B19&preg.htm
10-05-2006, 02:24 PM,
2006 - May
Hmm . . . got a slapped cheek at the Offshore Engineer party last week . . . probably unrelated to this though :o

I'll get me white coat . . .

11-05-2006, 08:19 AM,
2006 - May
Now then, we can soon arrive at a diagnosis:

Can you count among your symptoms any of the following:

a.A hankering for Pedigree Chum and Winalot chaser?
b.Have you been sniffing around lamp posts?
c.Standing on one lege to scratch your ear with the other?

Never mind, get M to take you to the vet, he'll soon have you chasing sticks again.

Hope it goes OK with the doc today.
11-05-2006, 08:29 AM,
2006 - May
It's the unauthorised bottom-sniffing that tends to cause most embarressment . . . Eek

11-05-2006, 08:32 AM,
2006 - May
Growl....

The doc thinks it's... shingles.

One of those things you've often heard mentioned, but never needed to know about. Well, I know all about now. It seems it's an adult version of chicken-pox, and my symptoms are a perfect match. Too late to start treating it, but I should be alright in a week or so.
El Gordo

11-05-2006, 09:01 AM,
2006 - May
Life's a beach . . . then you get shingles.

Take it easy and get well soon.

11-05-2006, 03:40 PM,
2006 - May
Shingles is horrid, had it myself about 20 years ago and felt terrible; the virus follows the path of a nerve, not too bad if it is on your trunk area, but seriously bad news if you have it on your head. About the only thing you will be able to do is rest and wait Andy. Hope the headache isn't too bad, that and the burning of the blisters was the worst thing for me.

Please take care. You'll be running again before you know it. How about getting that promised book together during your convalescence??
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM,
2006 - May
stillwaddler Wrote:How about getting that promised book together during your convalescence??

Right on, SW.
Sign me up for a copy . . .

11-05-2006, 05:28 PM,
2006 - May
stillwaddler Wrote:Shingles is horrid, had it myself about 20 years ago and felt terrible; the virus follows the path of a nerve, not too bad if it is on your trunk area, but seriously bad news if you have it on your head. About the only thing you will be able to do is rest and wait Andy. Hope the headache isn't too bad, that and the burning of the blisters was the worst thing for me.

Please take care. You'll be running again before you know it. How about getting that promised book together during your convalescence??

Thanks for the kind words, SW. No, it's not very nice. I had one bad night when I just couldn't sleep because I couldn't get in a comfortable position, but apart from that it's been inconvenient and irritating rather than cripplingly painful. Like having a badly sprained shoulder and a large burn at the same time. It just seems to have gone on long enough now, and I need some respite.

As for That Book, I know you're right. It's good to be hassled about it. Let me dig out what I have and will have a read through this evening.

Thanks for the nag. (Not often I say that Smile )

Cheers.
El Gordo

11-05-2006, 09:36 PM,
2006 - May
Andy, really bad luck on two counts. Here's hoping for a quick recovery and a "provisional" not turning into a "confirmed". If you want to stay in the job that is - your parent company management don't sound too smart.

Anyway, here's a date for your diary:

[INDENT][SIZE="1"]From: emmaandcoylie@aol.com

Dear Runner

The 2006 Harpsden Fun Run, near Henley-on-Thames, will take place on Sunday 16 July 2006, satrting at 10.30am.

The run will take in the beautiful countryside of the Harpsden valley, over a course which is partly off-road and predominantly on traffic-free paths.

This year, we have 2 accurately measured events - a one-lap 10Km race taking in the village of Binfield Heath and the woodland paths around Harpsden, while the 5km loop will allow for an enjoyable, and possibly less gruelling, start to your Sunday morning.

Both events will start and finish on the playing fields at Harpsden Village Hall. There wil be prizes for all finishers, and a Special Prize for 1st man, Woman, Boy & Girl (under 14). All proceeds from the event will go to the Harpdsen Village Pre-school

Please visit www.harpsdenrun.co.uk for full details of the event and for an entry form.

We hope you enjoyed participating last year, and we look forward to welcoming you again this year.

Paul Coyle
Harpsden Village Fun Run[/SIZE][/INDENT]

Best wishes on both fronts mate.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2006 - December El Gordo 29 12,859 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2006 - November El Gordo 38 18,686 05-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2006 - September El Gordo 78 41,250 01-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2006 - August El Gordo 22 10,566 07-09-2006, 10:19 AM