Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 - September
26-10-2006, 09:20 AM,
2006 - September
andy Wrote:I even had a dream about the 10K last night. I was sitting in a pub in Brighton and someone said "the race starts in 15 minutes". I downed my pint and hurried off to the start line, changing into my kit as I went. I had no safety pins so had to start the race holding my number against my chest with my hands. The horror was obviously too much for me as I woke up at that point.

Make of that what you will.... Big Grin

Meh. I think that's all pretty clear - your subconscious mind thinks you are rather under-prepared running wise, but very comfortable and highly skilled when it comes to downing pints...

Fair 'nuff.
Run. Just run.
26-10-2006, 01:49 PM,
2006 - September
I know exactly where you're coming from Andy. I have not run in weeks; it could well be months now. And I just can't be arsed.

Things I have eaten at my desk in the last week:

Numerous large bags of M&Ms
Pasties
Fish, chips and Yorkshire caviar (that's mushy peas to you)
Christmas Pudding & cream
Lamb Curry

I'm driving to work everyday.

I'm not getting out of my pit until I absolutely have to.

I'm tempted to start smoking again just to put the icing on the cake.

Perhaps this is some kind of cycle, like hibernation; and I'm just preparing myself for the next wave of effort.

Here's some pseudo-philospophical b*llshit I received at the bottom of an eMail 10 seconds ago:

"Life can either be accepted or changed. If it is not accepted, it must
be changed. If it cannot be changed, then it must be accepted."

I'm living proof that this statement is wrong.
26-10-2006, 04:33 PM,
2006 - September
"Christmas Pudding & cream..."

Mmmm.

I've eaten nothing too bad at my (daytime) desk at all in the past month or so. Salads, raw fruit and veg, that sort of caper. OK, some toast and peanut butter a couple of times but...

It's at home that the devil pounces. All those C foods: cheese, crisps, chips, claret, curries, ice cream, chocolate.

But I did read Scott Adams on affirmations (thanks Dan) and I'm just about desperate enough to try it.

I will write an entry later this evening.

I WILL write an entry later this evening.

I will write an entry later THIS evening.

I WILL WRITE AN ENTRY LATER THIS EVENING.

---------

Come on GM, your standards are better than this.

You're too happy, that's your problem.

Saturday morning, early. Good bike ride to loosen up.

Sunday morning, early. Laid-back 5 mile run.

Kick start.

Maybe I should do the Almeria Half again after all. If I do, why not come along? 28 Jan 2007. Cheap flight. Lots of beer and wine and tapas. Meet the delightful Antonio and the chaps -- if they make it.

Good target to aim for.

Right.

Job's a good 'un....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-10-2006, 08:38 PM,
2006 - September
Food . . . Mmmmm . . .
I ate so much Spotted Dick last night (the home-made variety, mountainous, steaming, rammed with fruit, drowned in syrup and smothered in thick creamy custard) I couldn't finish my last pint of Guinness Eek
Happily SP was on hand to help me out Smile

Good to hear the gallows humour crackling through the ether.
Almería's still a possibility for me too, although I'll have to commit in the next week or so a) to secure the cheap flight and b) to get it in before Mrs S insists on a winter holiday.
'Great idea, Love - oh, look - there's that nasty bloody Almería Half clogging up the end of January again. Oh well, maybe next year . . . '

[SIZE="1"]If she ever starts reading this rubbish I'm a dead man . . . [/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-10-2006, 09:00 PM,
2006 - September
It may appear to the casual observer, that every time Sweder mentions Guinness, the name 'SP' follows not long after.

Can I just say, that I have been a paragon of abstemiousness Smile recently and all Sweder's posts are filthy lies.....err :o

Gman, you could have been writing about me...
Quote:I have not run in weeks; it could well be months now. And I just can't be arsed.

Things I have eaten at my desk in the last week:

Numerous large bags of M&Ms
Pasties
Fish, chips and Yorkshire caviar (that's mushy peas to you)
Christmas Pudding & cream
Lamb Curry

I'm driving to work everyday.

I'm not getting out of my pit until I absolutely have to.

I'm tempted to start smoking again just to put the icing on the cake

Apart from the fact that I am smoking. On the plus side though, I don't do M&M's. Smile

The itch however, could be returning.
26-10-2006, 09:36 PM,
2006 - September
Excellent, SP. How about Almeria then?

On EasyJet: Gatwick - Sat 27 Jan 06:50, £11.99
Almeria - Tues 30 Jan 11:00 £16.99

There is a flight back on the Monday this time (£26), but I'd prefer the opportunity to, er, enjoy a spot of cultural engagement on the Monday again, and some sightseeing along the lines of last year.

Why don't we just do it?

Anyone else?

I think Nigel should be there again. At least we'd be able to communicate beyond "Three more p-pintsshh of G-Guinnesshh pleasshh, amigo".
El Gordo

26-10-2006, 10:53 PM,
2006 - September
Andy,
Just wanted to write to encourage you to keep on running (and writing). Your account of the Zurich marathon was one of the most exciting bit of sports writing I've read (will he? won't he?...)
Almeria at the end of January is impossible for me Sad but if any of you fellows fancy coming over for the Aquilianos event (short version or long version) next year (it's always on the first Saturday in June) I'd happily play host...
27-10-2006, 02:32 AM,
2006 - September
Seafront Plodder Wrote:The itch however, could be returning.

What? For M&Ms or Guinness??
Run. Just run.
27-10-2006, 07:23 AM,
2006 - September
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Andy,
Just wanted to write to encourage you to keep on running (and writing). Your account of the Zurich marathon was one of the most exciting bit of sports writing I've read (will he? won't he?...)
Almeria at the end of January is impossible for me Sad but if any of you fellows fancy coming over for the Aquilianos event (short version or long version) next year (it's always on the first Saturday in June) I'd happily play host...

Thanks BB. It's not so much an "if" or a "whether" as a "how" and a "why is this happening". I know what I mean...

The option of not running isn't in my list of choices. It's one of the best lifestyle changes I ever made. I won't say anymore just now because I've started writing about it in last night's entry which I'll post later today, or certainly over the weekend.

Personally, I'd love to go to the Aquilianos event, either as participant or spectator. I'm still signed up for this South African ultra in early April, and normally wouldn't think of doing much during the next 2 or 3 months, but that's habit more than necessity. Remind me again of the distances involved?

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement. It does make a difference, even if it doesn't always seem to.
El Gordo

27-10-2006, 08:12 AM,
2006 - September
BB I'd love to do the Aquilianos (s'easy fer you t'say). Depending on how, err, well (or not) TOM goes I'd like to have a crack and the long 'un. There's no question of keeping pace with a man of your calibre, but no doubt they have supply donkeys or extremely elderly people with whom I can waddle.

I've been dreaming about (I think they call them 'nightmares' in some parts) the race ever since your excellent stage running accounts back in April. It would finish off a fantastic year of running - plus there's a PB on offer.
27-10-2006, 10:04 AM,
2006 - September
"You're too happy, that's your problem."

That's the first time anybody has accussed me of that Andy!

I'm with Hugh Laurie on this one:

"I've never been convinced that happiness is the object of the game. I'm wary of happiness. It is a snare and a delusion. It's jolly nice sometimes, like steak and chips, but is it a goal?"

Personally I think it must be due to some form of bi-polar disorder. That would explain my incredible bouts of creative energy. Ah uhm!

Anyway, I managed to haul my sad ass onto the bike this morning. Not the road bike, but it's a start. Took the train half-way then cycled along the canal (Leeds - Liverpool), the river (Aire) and up through Esholt (were they used to film Emmerdale) and then through the woods to work.

It was a real joy and (suprise, suprise) I can't believe I've been floating in my tin-can to work these past few months and getting fat.

Another quote. This time from HG Wells:
"Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."

The same could be said of runners of course.
28-10-2006, 02:26 PM,
2006 - September
Sweder Wrote:BB I'd love to do the Aquilianos (s'easy fer you t'say). Depending on how, err, well (or not) TOM goes I'd like to have a crack and the long 'un.

andy Wrote:Personally, I'd love to go to the Aquilianos event, either as participant or spectator. I'm still signed up for this South African ultra in early April, and normally wouldn't think of doing much during the next 2 or 3 months, but that's habit more than necessity. Remind me again of the distances involved?

Short route, 48 kms ( lots of climbing).
Long route, 66kms (loads and loads of climbing)
Both have a 16 hour time limit so it can be treated as a walk (and it is for at least half or the people taking part).
The only problem might be getting here. There is no airport nearby but you can get cheap flights to Santiago de Compostela, Oviedo and Valladolid which are all 2-3 hours away. Hey, it’s something different… and there are at least 2 bars that stock Guinness within hobbling distance from the finish.
28-10-2006, 07:34 PM,
2006 - September
If you guys are seriously thinking about Almeria again, I would be up for that. I'm only working contract right now so planning a little break at the end of January would be perfect.

I haven't been running the long distances lately, but could easily ramp it up to a half, even if it is a slow one.

Let me know if you guys decide to go and I'll check into flights from here. Would be fun to see you all again and perhaps have a Guinness or two!

Suzie
28-10-2006, 10:41 PM,
2006 - September
I'm booking my flights tomorrow.
The way global warming's affecting the UK it might be my only chance to get some cool/ wet weather training in. Reckon you might see one or two more familiar names added to the reunion guest list soon . . .

29-10-2006, 12:00 PM,
2006 - September
suzieq Wrote:If you guys are seriously thinking about Almeria again, I would be up for that. I'm only working contract right now so planning a little break at the end of January would be perfect.

I haven't been running the long distances lately, but could easily ramp it up to a half, even if it is a slow one.

Let me know if you guys decide to go and I'll check into flights from here. Would be fun to see you all again and perhaps have a Guinness or two!

Suzie

Would be great to see you again Suzie, especially after the mix up in London.

Looks like it is now definitely happening.

Anyone else up for it?
El Gordo

29-10-2006, 12:59 PM,
2006 - September
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Short route, 48 kms ( lots of climbing).
Long route, 66kms (loads and loads of climbing)
Both have a 16 hour time limit so it can be treated as a walk (and it is for at least half or the people taking part).
The only problem might be getting here. There is no airport nearby but you can get cheap flights to Santiago de Compostela, Oviedo and Valladolid which are all 2-3 hours away. Hey, it’s something different… and there are at least 2 bars that stock Guinness within hobbling distance from the finish.

Could definitely be up for it BB. Perhaps the shorter one for me, and more of a walk than a run.
El Gordo

29-10-2006, 05:13 PM,
2006 - September
This is great! I'll look into flights right away. So you guys are booking to fly out on EasyJet on Jan. 27th at 6:50 a.m. and returning on Tuesday, Jan. 30 at 11:00 a.m.? I'll wait to hear back before I book that portion of my trip.

Now I'll have to seriously get training...

Suzie:
29-10-2006, 06:22 PM,
2006 - September
Booked.
Yes Suzie, flights as stated above - 06:50 Sat 27th from LGW, 11:00 return on 30th. Just need to confer with Andy on hotel - the one we used this year was pretty good - a lot of the Kenyan athletes stayed there and it wasn't too far from the centre. More on that I'm sure.

29-10-2006, 06:32 PM,
2006 - September
Sweder Wrote:Booked.
Yes Suzie, flights as stated above - 06:50 Sat 27th from LGW, 11:00 return on 30th. Just need to confer with Andy on hotel - the one we used this year was pretty good - a lot of the Kenyan athletes stayed there and it wasn't too far from the centre. More on that I'm sure.

Let's take a rain check on choice of hotel.

I liked the one we stayed in last year but I thought it was a bit out of the way. Preferred the location of the year before.

Let's wait to see what Antonio suggests.
El Gordo

30-10-2006, 09:52 PM,
2006 - September
Andy, apropos of your recent post re: Jez Lowe, check out the review of his appearnace in Lewes at http://www.vivalewes.com/issues/00043/index.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2006 - December El Gordo 29 12,861 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2006 - November El Gordo 38 18,688 05-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2006 - August El Gordo 22 10,567 07-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Last Post: MickCollins
  2006 - July El Gordo 7 4,185 10-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  2006 - June El Gordo 10 4,728 06-06-2006, 03:06 PM