Has anyone done an Adventure race???
21-03-2007, 02:21 PM,
Hello all.

Have any of you guys or girls ever partaken in an Adventure race?/
IE: Run,Canoe,Run,Cycle etc...
Its sounds like fun but I am a bit concerned about finishing......
There is one on over in the west of Ireland later this year and I am thinking of giving it a go.

Confused Ger
21-03-2007, 03:21 PM,
I haven't Ger, no, though I did work with someone who took part in them every other weekend through the summer, and thought they were great fun.

Personally I'll probably never do one. I like a leisurely cycle, and a plod. And I've always wanted to go canoeing. But I'm not organised enough to manage all three in the same afternoon. Why not do it? I'd be interested in reading a report of it.

Whereabouts in the West is it? My folks are from Co Mayo. I half looked at doing the Achill Marathon in early July but decided it would be a bit too hot and hilly. Stupendous countryside though.

Are you doing Dublin this year? I'm toying with the idea of entering.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-03-2007, 05:01 PM,
The address for the adventure race is http://www.gaelforcewest.ie/

Its sounds great and it also climbs Croagh Patrick,which I have always wanted to do but just never got around to it.

I am doing the Dublin City Marathon this year( For the Sixth time) and wil be in training from end of April.
Might see you there!

Ger
21-03-2007, 05:25 PM,
Gersrunning Wrote:The address for the adventure race is http://www.gaelforcewest.ie/

Its sounds great and it also climbs Croagh Patrick,which I have always wanted to do but just never got around to it.

I am doing the Dublin City Marathon this year( For the Sixth time) and wil be in training from end of April.
Might see you there!

Ger

Ger, I've been up Croagh Patrick twice. It's a grand day out, though I wouldn't much fancy doing it in a race. It's a tough climb, particularly on the upper reaches, where the path gives way to steep, loose shale. The views are just stunning. In one direction you can see all the way over Clew Bay and up the west coast of Mayo, with Achill to the left. The other way, you can see the whole of Connemara and Galway. It's a view to die for, but it should be enjoyed and pondered over if possible. Definitely an experience to be recommended.

I mention the trips in a couple of entries. There's more about Ireland generally in both.

http://www.runningcommentary.net/2004/2004sep.htm
http://www.runningcommentary.net/2006/2006jul.htm

What sort of time are you expecting in the Dublin Marathon? If I do it, it would be good to meet up for a pint of the black stuff at some point.

Edited to add: Just had a look at the Gaelforce 6 map. It looks like a great route, but the run up and down the Reek would kill me. I suspect you're much fitter than me, so why not go for it? I know Westport (the finish) well. Both my parents come from close to there.
El Gordo

21-03-2007, 08:07 PM,
I think I will do it Andy as it sounds interesting.
As for the Marathon I have ran my previous in and around 4 hours ish...

I aim to lose the ish............
The schedule I will be doing is the Hal Higdon schedule for 3.40.
I'm very optimistic eh...

Will gladly meet up around Marathon time.Are many of you guys doing it?

Ger
21-03-2007, 08:10 PM,
Andy I have just noticed the IF is in Bold ha ha....I always believe if you register early and start a schedule you will stick to it.I have a business over here in Ireland and have 3 kids so I am up to my eyes,but I try to keep a focus on reality and put in some time for hobbies etc.

Ger
21-03-2007, 09:57 PM,
Gersrunning Wrote:Andy I have just noticed the IF is in Bold ha ha....I always believe if you register early and start a schedule you will stick to it.I have a business over here in Ireland and have 3 kids so I am up to my eyes,but I try to keep a focus on reality and put in some time for hobbies etc.

Ger

Totally agree mate, but three kids? You've got it easy. I've got 2,147 hungry tadpoles to deal with...

I'd really like to do Dublin. My hesitation is not from any fear of the distance but because I tend to make announcements about doing races, then something goes wrong -- or I just blow it for some reason. I've "decided to do Dublin" at least twice in previous years, but never got there.

I've not heard anyone else mention the possibility of doing it this year so if I did it, it might be just me.

Anyone else vaguely interested?

My only concern is that you'll be about an hour ahead of me on usual form, so I'll have 3 pints to catch up...

I'll keep you posted.

The Hal Higdon schedules are good. I've followed his Novice schedule a few times. I met him when I was in Chicago. Nice chap.
El Gordo

24-03-2007, 03:28 PM,
[Image: mainheader_04.gif]

Anyone had experience of the Hellrunner series?
I look the cut of this race's jib, not least their tag line:
Road Running Is For Softies

Man, you can smell the testosterone from here . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-03-2007, 03:32 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Road Running Is For Softies

And what's wrong with being a softie...? At my age, you don't have much choice.
El Gordo

24-03-2007, 04:17 PM,
andy Wrote:And what's wrong with being a softie...? At my age, you don't have much choice.
No idea - its their tag line, not mine.
Personally I find road running the hardest form of all.
Give me muck and bullets any day Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The greatest race on earth Bierzo Baggie 19 14,741 30-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  man versus horse race stillwaddler 2 4,743 14-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Race day checklist El Gordo 8 5,804 22-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,906 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man