Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
teckie help required
08-06-2007, 08:04 AM,
teckie help required
Dunno what's happened, but on startup I get a black screen with a message saying

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\system"

Now I know about holding F8 on startup, but each option I select takes me back to the above message. Anyone know what's going on and can help? I have original windows disc so can effect repair but I dunno how. Confused
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM,
teckie help required
I have no clue . . . but I do have a question:
how'd you get on here to post this? Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-06-2007, 12:06 PM,
teckie help required
I also have a tablet pc, you doughnut.
08-06-2007, 12:12 PM,
teckie help required
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I also have a tablet pc, you doughnut.
The solution's simple then.
Keep taking the tablet Big Grin

08-06-2007, 12:26 PM,
teckie help required
When your pc is probably fooked and you're told you'll probably lose all your data, remind me to make some hilarious comment won't you.

:arse:
08-06-2007, 12:58 PM,
teckie help required
You can usually find solutions to stuff like this on google web or groups.

Doesn't sound like you'll lose all your data; probably your registry that needs repairing.

Try:

http://swatrant.blogspot.com/2005/11/win...se_17.html

---

Starting the Windows Recovery Console

To start the Windows Recovery Console, use one of the following methods:

• Use the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM to start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

---
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM,
teckie help required
Seafront Plodder Wrote:When your pc is probably fooked and you're told you'll probably lose all your data, remind me to make some hilarious comment won't you.

:arse:
On a serious note, if you have information the loss of which would cause that much angst may I suggest an investment in a stand-alone hard-drive back-up system*. Tom got me into these - they effectively offer many Gs of additional storage and simply bolt on (via a USB connection) to your main machine. I now back up all my family photos and important files every day (you can set this to happen automatically).

Cost: between 50 and 100 smackers.
Value: immeasurable if your laptop/ pc goes postal.

[SIZE="1"]*This inept description reveals my true technical value in this particular thread Wink [/SIZE]

08-06-2007, 02:08 PM,
teckie help required
glaconman Wrote:You can usually find solutions to stuff like this on google web or groups.

Doesn't sound like you'll lose all your data; probably your registry that needs repairing.

Try:

http://swatrant.blogspot.com/2005/11/win...se_17.html

---

Starting the Windows Recovery Console

To start the Windows Recovery Console, use one of the following methods:

• Use the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM to start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

---

Gman you are a star! If you were in the room here I'd give you a huge kiss. As it is, please give yourself a large, wet kiss from me.

For the teckies/anyone who could give a monkeys.....I went into BIOS and got the 'puter to boot from CD-rom. Then inserted the XP recovery disc and opened the Windows Recovery Console by pressing F10 on startup. The thing did some sort of recovery scan and replaced the missing/corrupt file in Safe mode. From there I simply did a system restore, and hey presto!

I amaze myself sometimes...

Now to wait for the little sod to get home from school to grill him about what he did.
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM,
teckie help required
Easy Tiger.

Good opportunity SP to assess your back-up options, that's true.

You could install another internal drive which can automatically mirror your original one; or Sveder's external daily backup of data-only is another option.

Both worth the dosh and research.

I just wish I could be bothered to do the same Eek

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  thickie-teckie question Seafront Plodder 4 2,270 22-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man