RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: teckie help required
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dunno what's happened, but on startup I get a black screen with a message saying

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\system"

Now I know about holding F8 on startup, but each option I select takes me back to the above message. Anyone know what's going on and can help? I have original windows disc so can effect repair but I dunno how. Confused
I have no clue . . . but I do have a question:
how'd you get on here to post this? Eek
I also have a tablet pc, you doughnut.
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I also have a tablet pc, you doughnut.
The solution's simple then.
Keep taking the tablet Big Grin
When your pc is probably fooked and you're told you'll probably lose all your data, remind me to make some hilarious comment won't you.

:arse:
You can usually find solutions to stuff like this on google web or groups.

Doesn't sound like you'll lose all your data; probably your registry that needs repairing.

Try:

http://swatrant.blogspot.com/2005/11/win...se_17.html

---

Starting the Windows Recovery Console

To start the Windows Recovery Console, use one of the following methods:

• Use the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM to start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

---
Seafront Plodder Wrote:When your pc is probably fooked and you're told you'll probably lose all your data, remind me to make some hilarious comment won't you.

:arse:
On a serious note, if you have information the loss of which would cause that much angst may I suggest an investment in a stand-alone hard-drive back-up system*. Tom got me into these - they effectively offer many Gs of additional storage and simply bolt on (via a USB connection) to your main machine. I now back up all my family photos and important files every day (you can set this to happen automatically).

Cost: between 50 and 100 smackers.
Value: immeasurable if your laptop/ pc goes postal.

[SIZE="1"]*This inept description reveals my true technical value in this particular thread Wink [/SIZE]
glaconman Wrote:You can usually find solutions to stuff like this on google web or groups.

Doesn't sound like you'll lose all your data; probably your registry that needs repairing.

Try:

http://swatrant.blogspot.com/2005/11/win...se_17.html

---

Starting the Windows Recovery Console

To start the Windows Recovery Console, use one of the following methods:

• Use the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM to start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

---

Gman you are a star! If you were in the room here I'd give you a huge kiss. As it is, please give yourself a large, wet kiss from me.

For the teckies/anyone who could give a monkeys.....I went into BIOS and got the 'puter to boot from CD-rom. Then inserted the XP recovery disc and opened the Windows Recovery Console by pressing F10 on startup. The thing did some sort of recovery scan and replaced the missing/corrupt file in Safe mode. From there I simply did a system restore, and hey presto!

I amaze myself sometimes...

Now to wait for the little sod to get home from school to grill him about what he did.
Easy Tiger.

Good opportunity SP to assess your back-up options, that's true.

You could install another internal drive which can automatically mirror your original one; or Sveder's external daily backup of data-only is another option.

Both worth the dosh and research.

I just wish I could be bothered to do the same Eek