GPS - What's The Latest?
22-07-2007, 08:10 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Anyone got any useful observations on the current crop of GPS devices? I'm in the market for one but am wary of committing my hard-earned on the basis that most people seem to complain about theirs.

I'm deliberately avoiding the 'G' word . . . my mother always told me it's dangerous to poke a bear with a stick . . . Rolleyes

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-07-2007, 08:49 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
The Garmin 305 (with the HRM) works well for my limited needs. I paid well over the odds though -- £289, If you can get it quite a bit cheaper, I'd go for it. My beef is that the functionality seems less than the 201/301. In particular the Virtual Partner isn't as good. I used to use that feature all the time. Also, the altitude is unreliable, and the calories reading is useless.

But if you use Sportstracks (free), a superb app for importing and analysing the data, including showing your run on Google Maps/Earth, some of these drawbacks are removed.

If you don't want the HRM, get the cheaper 205.

Well, I shouldn't say "get this" or "get that". I've not tried any rival systems. Runnersworld.co.uk and runnersworld.com (the US one) probably both carry detailed reviews of the Garmins and their competitors, so worth reading up on 'em there.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-07-2007, 07:27 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Thanks. I was leaning towards Garmin anyway - I don't need a HRM so sounds like the 205 will do the job. I've been on RW but I can never be sure if there's an axe to grind in the reports; I prefer recommendations from people I know and trust.

I've fired out a couple of e-mails to people who play bass for a living.
Just in case Wink

23-07-2007, 07:40 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Worth pointing out that some people do have problems getting a signal with GPS, though this is more commonly a problem in built-up areas, so you should be alright. If you see someone running locally wearing a GPS watch, it would be an idea to ask them if they've had any trouble.

Best advice I'd give is just to ;shop hard'. I've just had a quick look and see that you can get the 205 for around £120, perhaps even less if you dig deeper. I'd say this is a reasonable price. The 305s seem to be £100 cheaper than when I bought.

Don't bother with the packaged Forerunner software, or any of these other monthly-subscription jobs. The one you want is Sportstracks

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
El Gordo

23-07-2007, 08:58 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Picked up a 205 for GBP 96 + VAT. Thanks for the software hint - I'll let you know how it all works out as soon as I've taken my sundial to the recycling plant . . .

23-07-2007, 10:39 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Sweder Wrote:Picked up a 205 for GBP 96 + VAT. Thanks for the software hint - I'll let you know how it all works out as soon as I've taken my sundial to the recycling plant . . .

Good price.
El Gordo

25-07-2007, 06:12 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
My 205 arrived yesterday Smile
This is GPS watch for dummies time . . . having downloaded Sportstracks is that it? Just go out, run, plug in the watch when I get back and hey presto?
That seems too easy . . .

. . . OK, I plugged the watch in and installed the USB software from the disc (but ignored all the other stuff such as Garmin Training Center(sic). I guess that's it. Except Mrs S is about to arrive with one of Chaula's finest take-away Rubies and I'm going to clock the first two episodes of Heroes on BBC2, so the run'll have to wait until the morning . . .

25-07-2007, 09:57 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Sweder Wrote:My 205 arrived yesterday Smile
the run'll have to wait until the morning . . .

Pathetic. What sort of gadget freak are you...?

After your run, plug in the watch using a USB port. Click on "Import data" and you should be able to select the device from the list, unless you've not already set up the Garmin, in which case you "Add device" first.

Warning: Garmin helpfully changed their file format a little while ago without bothering to give anyone advance warning, so the third party software tools (inc Sportstracks) have a bit of trouble occasionally. You sometimes get an error message during the import, or Sportstracks (ST) won't recognise the watch. If so, try closing the app and reopening, or try reconecting the watch. Very occasionally I've had to reinstall the driver but this is unusual.

The next version of ST (imminent since April) will take care of this, apparently.
El Gordo

25-07-2007, 10:31 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Thanks Mate, I'll see how it goes in the morning.
I'm not really a gadget freak at all - it's taken me four years to take the Garmin plunge. But I really enjoyed racing Niguel on SP's watch in Almería in 2006.

I have a confession to make on the gadget front.
The 205 is not the only long-term, nor the most significant, acquisition to be found at Chez Sweder this week Eek Technically it's not acquired as I have yet to part with the hard-earned . . . an old friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse. She needed a good home for one of her older (and these days less significant) house guests, I had a life-long yearning to adopt such a beast . . .

I'm saying no more, but you might want to bring your axe on Saturday Wink

25-07-2007, 11:28 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Sweder Wrote:Thanks Mate, I'll see how it goes in the morning.
I'm not really a gadget freak at all - it's taken me four years to take the Garmin plunge. But I really enjoyed racing Niguel on SP's watch in Almería in 2006.

I have a confession to make on the gadget front.
The 205 is not the only long-term, nor the most significant, acquisition to be found at Chez Sweder this week Eek Technically it's not acquired as I have yet to part with the hard-earned . . . an old friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse. She needed a good home for one of her older (and these days less significant) house guests, I had a life-long yearning to adopt such a beast . . .

I'm saying no more, but you might want to bring your axe on Saturday Wink

You've adopted a beast but you need an axe? Hmmm..... ah, I've got it -- it's a panda, and you need some help chopping down some bamboo? Not sure if I have an axe, but I do have a mattock, a very fine old English gardening implement which is actually the most useful tool I have in the shed.
El Gordo

26-07-2007, 07:26 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
andy Wrote:Not sure if I have an axe, but I do have a mattock, a very fine old English gardening implement which is actually the most useful tool I have in the shed.

Awful things ... have nothing to do with them! Eek
Run. Just run.
26-07-2007, 08:45 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Awful things ... have nothing to do with them! Eek
Mattocks . . . Gardens . . . or Pandas Confused

09-08-2007, 10:09 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Hope you have better service out of your 205 than I have had out of my 201, I constantly get rubbish satellite connection, fails even under lightweight tree cover or cloud cover, beside buildings, (even beside our house) and it went completely bonkers by the docklands light railway during the London last year.

Didn't even bother to take it to the States (from where I returned on Tuesday - still jet lagged :-( )
09-08-2007, 11:31 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
I have to say the 205 has been top drawer so far . . .

There again I've only used it on my local route :o
I'm off to French France next week when I plan to put the gadget to good use. I'll let you know how it behaves then. I'm also using the SportTracks software recomended by Andy - it's darned easy to use and gives me all the data I could ever wish for (and more).

09-08-2007, 11:42 AM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Sweder Wrote:... and gives me all the data I could ever wish for (and more).

...such as distance from Lewes Arms and calories per pint of Harveys?
Run. Just run.
09-08-2007, 06:02 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:...such as distance from Lewes Arms and calories per pint of Harveys?
Naa . . . if I knew how many calories were in a pint I might think too long before lifting one Big Grin

Actually I've re-programmed my 205; I've uploaded the Wicked Queen programme.
Every time I fire it up it says (in a sultry female voice of course)
'My, you are looking svelt this morning! Make sure you have a pint after your run!'

Works a treat Big Grin

09-08-2007, 09:04 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
stillwaddler Wrote:Hope you have better service out of your 205 than I have had out of my 201, I constantly get rubbish satellite connection, fails even under lightweight tree cover or cloud cover, beside buildings, (even beside our house) and it went completely bonkers by the docklands light railway during the London last year.

Didn't even bother to take it to the States (from where I returned on Tuesday - still jet lagged :-( )

Sorry to hear that, SW. I've had a few whinges about Garmin as you'll recall but in my case they've been aimed mainly at the company and their marketing. The basic functions of my watch have worked pretty reliably. I complain about some of the frilly things being not well implemented, or oversold, but I rarely have trouble with satellites where I am. Cities can be a bit hit and miss, though I don't often run in built-up areas. I wonder if you've got a slightly dodgy unit? Do you know any other users locally you can compare notes with?
El Gordo

12-11-2007, 05:46 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Hmm, well my up-till-now trusty Garmin 205 Forerunner has come a bit of a cropper. The 'enter' button - a sort of rubbery nub that requires a decent amount of pressure to engage - has taken umbrage at my Edward Sausagefingers approach and will no longer function. It's as if the button that lurks under the rubber coating has nipped off for a break, leaving the covering membrane flaccid and useless.

Anyone have experience of this?
Is there a simple remedy - apart from banging the watch firmly on the edge of ones' desk?
It seems like a return to sender job but I'd rather not be without it. Sadly I can't set up virtual partner or clear the history without this feature, so at some point the unit will become impossible to use Sad

12-11-2007, 07:49 PM,
GPS - What's The Latest?
Bad luck Sweder. That's not a problem I've had -- though I've not exactly pushed my Garmin to the limits through excessive use recently.

I'd be reluctant to whack it too hard for obvious reasons. My plan would be firstly, a call to a Garmin -- though I strongly suspect they'll just tell you to return it .They're not likely to encourage you to hit it. Second, a message on the RW 'Gear' forum might just bear fruit. There's usually a lively Garmin discussion over there.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GPS Jobbies Seafront Plodder 27 8,855 20-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  FOR SALE: Timex GPS El Gordo 3 1,545 10-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder