Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October is a fine and dangerous season
07-10-2015, 11:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015, 01:02 PM by Charliecat5.)
RE: October is a fine and dangerous season
MLCMM is running, Sweder is running (in a fashion – it’s sometimes hard to tell), Glaconman is always running. I’ve even heard a rumour that El Gordo has polished his rowing machine.  I, on the other hand, am not running.

Until last night that is...

After the disappointment of having to drop out of the JS20 and the crushing apathy that followed, it’s time to be bold… to step back up to the plate… to throw the reins around my mojo and head out the door.

I’ve joined (or more accurately, am in the process of joining) an athletics club.  I KNOW.  And last night I went out running with them.  I haven’t run for 4 weeks AND my lungs are still hanging heavy with some sort of infection, asthma, old age, take your pick.  SO my plan was to join my new friends for a steady three miler.  According to their website, they tend to run in three groups; groups I will characterise as follows:

1)      Sensible steady 
2)      Intermediate - showing signs of running fever
3)      Crazy fast

I thought group 1 would be the one for me… nice and easy… get back into it… don’t overdo it…

Hmmm

“What sort of running do you do?" they asked, “I run the trails” I said.

“How far do you go?" they asked,  “Anywhere between 6 to 14 miles” I responded nervously.

“What’s sort of pace?" they asked, “10 min/mi on a long-un; 8 min/mi on a short-un” I stated timidly .

“You’re coming with us then” they said.  “With who?” I whispered. 

“The intermediate group… you ok for 5 to 6 miles?” “Erm… OK” I replied… desperately trying to think of an excuse… anything… but I was left muttering in their wake as they set off.  “By the way”, my new friends shouted back though the rain storm which was now cascading over us, “we are joining the Crazy fast group as there's only a few of us”.  “Great” I shouted back through the wind.  Well actually I shouted something quite different, but it got lost.

So this is how I ended up running 5.2 miles last night around the rain swept streets of Lewes at a pace not far removed from light speed.  Fortunately, and probably for my benefit, we split at mile 4; the Crazies headed off into the dark for a sprint finish… whilst three us dropped back to a steady warp speed for the home run.  On a positive note, the run started and finished at the Snowdrop – pub running they call it - I approve (and I know MLCMM will as well).   Interestingly, once 15 steaming runners had filled the warm, snug establishment, most of the locals wisely decided to leave.

I’m going back on Thursday to do some hill reps.  Apparently we run up a steep hill as fast as we can for 30 seconds… then jog back down… and repeat for an hour.  It’s something to look forward to!

Hey… I’m running again.  Perhaps I might manage a little jaunt over my beloved Downs this weekend?
There is more to be done

Messages In This Thread
RE: October is a fine and dangerous season - by Charliecat5 - 07-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December ('tis the season) Charliecat5 23 9,280 31-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  October 2014 Charliecat5 21 8,246 29-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Last Post: glaconman