Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
December ('tis the season)
12-12-2014, 08:50 AM,
December ('tis the season)
It's very quiet on here... is no one running at the moment?

For my part, the advent of December has bought with it another soddin' cold which whilst all but gone, has left me feeling drained and run down.  My running shoes are in the cupboard weeping quietly as it has been two weeks since their last outing.  

My feet on the other hand, are quietly celebrating.  

Hopefully after the weekend I can get back out there.  I mean come on... the weather is atrocious - perfect for running  Big Grin
There is more to be done
12-12-2014, 10:34 AM,
RE: December ('tis the season)
I'm on it, but my runs are mostly "plodded round a field for half an hour before dawn" at the moment, so it doesn't make great reading. Hope you have a recuperative weekend and can get back out there next week. I agree about the weather Smile. Although I had a nice morning Tuesday when it was clear and frosty.
12-12-2014, 04:43 PM,
I have been doing minimal running. Knee issues have subsided in time for manflu to consume me. Then I suspect a 3 week trip to India will put paid to any further attempt at a full revival.

But, as usual, I suspect blind optimism will prevail, and I'll start preparing myself for the greatest year I have ever had as a runner.
13-12-2014, 11:37 PM,
No running here, and things are getting desperate as my belt buckle renews acquaintance with belt holes not seen for a long time. But dash it, it's silly season and there's food and drink aplenty. What's a man to do?

I know, I know.
Run. Just run.
14-12-2014, 04:47 PM,
(12-12-2014, 04:43 PM)glaconman Wrote: But, as usual, I suspect blind optimism will prevail, and I'll start preparing myself for the greatest year I have ever had as a runner.

2015 will be the greatest running year yet (to be honest my bar to-date isn't that high).  

BRING IT ON!

(slowly and sedately tho'... it doesn't do to rush in)
There is more to be done
16-12-2014, 02:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-12-2014, 02:12 PM by Charliecat5.)
A lunch time quickie

That was novel.  A 3 mile run in the middle of the day.  I don’t know why I haven’t thought of this before.

It is three weeks to the day since my last run – the longest gap I’ve had since I started this weirdness back in April.   My aim was a sub 9 minute mile pace and I came in at 8:47.  Keeping ones expectations low makes for a contented cat I find.  

Having said that, over lunch I read an article by Andy Kirkpatrick – a looney mountain climber (yep… even more of a loon than Sweder); he says that training doesn’t have to be that onerous.  Although he pointed out, quoting Twight, that “the fitter you are, the harder you are to kill”.  

Apparently one hour a day of really intensive training is all you need…

Trouble is, by intensive, he means training that makes you want to puke.

HEY, I WAS OUT THERE… BETTER THAN BEING IN HERE.   Undecided
There is more to be done
18-12-2014, 12:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-12-2014, 12:23 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(16-12-2014, 02:11 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Having said that, over lunch I read an article by Andy Kirkpatrick ... Apparently one hour a day of really intensive training is all you need… Trouble is, by intensive, he means training that makes you want to puke.

Which could be why that particular man doesn't frequent these pages.

Last time I trained to the point of puking was 37 years ago. And yep, I still clearly remember it, which is why I haven't repeated the experience.

The thing about staying within your comfort zone is that it is, well, comfortable. Who doesn't like comfort?

Sleepy
Run. Just run.
18-12-2014, 01:39 PM,
(18-12-2014, 12:22 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(16-12-2014, 02:11 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Having said that, over lunch I read an article by Andy Kirkpatrick ... Apparently one hour a day of really intensive training is all you need… Trouble is, by intensive, he means training that makes you want to puke.

Last time I trained to the point of puking was 37 years ago. And yep, I still clearly remember it, which is why I haven't repeated the experience.

The thing about staying within your comfort zone is that it is, well, comfortable. Who doesn't like comfort?

Sleepy

But... we are still looking to improve our performance aren't we? Which means moving out of our current comfort zone to redefine a new and improved comfort zone... so whilst I am not planning to train until I puke, I do plan to push my boundaries somewhat.  Heck, it's what having a mid life crisis is all about... isn't it?   [Image: confused.gif] 
There is more to be done
18-12-2014, 02:45 PM,
Yes CC I'm a great believer in the lunchtime outing. If you can get away from your desk for a clear hour, that's plenty of time for 3 miles and a shower.
18-12-2014, 08:41 PM,
(18-12-2014, 01:39 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(18-12-2014, 12:22 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:

Sleepy

But... we are still looking to improve our performance aren't we? Which means moving out of our current comfort zone to redefine a new and improved comfort zone... so whilst I am not planning to train until I puke, I do plan to push my boundaries somewhat.  Heck, it's what having a mid life crisis is all about... isn't it?   [Image: confused.gif] 

Well, sure, if you're comfortable with that.... Big Grin
Run. Just run.
19-12-2014, 10:47 AM,
I agree with Mr Cat on both issues here. Comfort shmumfort. (isn't that a brand of sparkling wine?) The trick is, week by week, to just push slightly beyond your comfort zone, so you don't really notice it getting bigger. Alternatively, if you stay on the sofa, the same thing happens to your waistline...
19-12-2014, 01:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-12-2014, 01:55 PM by Charliecat5.)
Holy Crap

2 miles and one of the toughest runs I have ever done.  Hill reps for lunch today.  Must push my limits.  Don’t want to become a sofa monkey.  Half a mile along the flat to warm up… all OK so far.  Then a steep hill.  Sprinting from bottom to top was the plan... it took two attempts to get there.  This was followed by a stroll down another hill and then 4 reps back up it again.  Lastly, half a mile home again.

I AM COMPLETELY BUGGERED

This is the closest I have been to puking whilst out running.
 Must do it again   Tongue
There is more to be done
19-12-2014, 02:16 PM,
Hill reps are where it's at mate - well done.
19-12-2014, 03:05 PM,
(19-12-2014, 02:16 PM)marathondan Wrote: Hill reps are where it's at mate - well done.

You can engrave that on my tomb stone.
There is more to be done
19-12-2014, 09:54 PM,
Hill reps? Now you're scaring me - next you'll be entering the Point 2 Pinnacle and RC will go bat shit crazy again.
Run. Just run.
21-12-2014, 02:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014, 01:32 PM by Charliecat5.)
Oh Boy… 

On a positive note I beat a personal best this morning (by 0.05 of a mile). 

12.35 miles up hill and down.

But why, why, why do I put myself through this?

With legs still tied from Friday’s hill repin’ madness I set off this morning with a route clearly mapped out in my mind.  Over Juggs Lane – up to the top of Kingston Ridge – to the start of the YBR – down Heartbreak Ridge (best way to do Heartbreak Ridge) and UP THE SNAKE – before turning east along the tops and down to Kingston Church then back home along the road.

I did it.  It was tough.  Head winds, freezing rain squalls, and I swear more uphill running than down.  For a change my head was in the right place – in fact my head added an additional mile on to the route to ensure that I toppled my personal best – a personal best that had been in existence since the infamous run with Sweder when we finally broke his knees. 

The problem this morning was my legs… by the last 2 miles I had perfected a perfect mix between the lolloping gait of Quasimodo and the warped body of Sméagol.  It is surprising how fast you can run on all fours.  When I rounded the corner at the Swan and forcibility insisted my body take a small detour to break that record – there was anarchy like I have never experience before.  Technically I ran the last half a mile home, but when asked by a little old lady if I was alright as she passed me on the home straight… I knew things were not looking rosy. 

There were however some highlights.  For all the weather up there, the Downs were radiant, dark and moody – lovely.  As I topped the Snake I was able to wish Moyleman a happy Christmas and ask that he watches over us all as we run into and through 2015.  My new running shoes were great (first big run) – no blisters and comfy feet.  And I arrived home to find the house full of friends, sausages rolls and lemon cheesecake – brilliant. 

I was quite pleased with my pace; although there is a lot of room for improvement I managed a total pace of 11 min/mi and average moving pace of 10 min/mi.  Elevation gain 1,500 feet. 

This is me at mile 4 – I dare not show you what I looked like on my return.

An afternoon of drinking with friends is on the cards now... you'll find me slumped in the corner with a half a stout in my hand... 
There is more to be done
21-12-2014, 07:55 PM,
Sounds like you left the comfort zone at home... well done. These sessions have got it all - endurance, strength, mental toughness. Hope the sausage rolls did you good.
24-12-2014, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014, 01:13 PM by Charliecat5.)
Not yet taken another step in anger (or otherwise). Knee repaired but withered legs need more (some) time on the dreaded spin bike. Spent the last three days in bed with the ugliest man flu I've ever encountered.

Here's to 2015, and all the hope and promise a new year holds

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-12-2014, 03:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014, 11:07 PM by Charliecat5.)
Pigs in blankets

I love Christmas Eve, almost as much as Christmas Day… not quite as much of course, as you don’t get piles of loot on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve for me is about fetching the Turkey, making the breadcrumbs, wrapping presents, hosting friends for tea and biscuits, watching crap movies and then as the evening draws in, walking into town for cocktails.  And now of course I have a new Christmas Eve tradition – running to the top of Blackcap and back.

And what a glorious afternoon for it… last night’s storms had abated into beautiful insipid sunshine – the paths whilst muddy were soft underfoot with just the right amount of springiness… well mostly, and there were very few people about. 

And the best thing… every mile equals an extra Pig in a Blanket tomorrow!

Happy Christmas to you all… I hope FC brings you everything you desire.

.jpg   FC.jpg (Size: 10.6 KB / Downloads: 39)
There is more to be done
29-12-2014, 10:01 AM,
Whoops - I seem to have put on weight over Christmas.  

Good job I ran three miles yesterday lunchtime - Sweder's circuit (as I call it) in reverse.  Which was an interesting experience as the reason I like this circuit (the normal way around) is that it involves a very gentle climb for a mile, followed by a very steep ascent (Sweder's hill) and then a slow descent all the way home.  This suits my running style.

Doing it in reverse, involves, quite obviously, a long steady climb before plunging back down to ground zero.  I am not keen on long slow ascents - but that's why I did it in reverse as I've gotta keep pushing the edges of that comfort zone.

It was a relatively slow run - paying the price of too many mince pies.
There is more to be done

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December is here before its June Charliecat5 7 3,451 31-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5
  October is a fine and dangerous season Charliecat5 27 11,809 31-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man