Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Is Moyleman Month
29-03-2014, 05:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014, 10:45 AM by Sweder.)
RE:
Route changes made, interested parties enagaged, local press on side, twitter account established. We have someone working on a domain name for a bespoke Moyleman website and we're just now wondering what we should produce for finishers. Medals are the obvious choice, the Stinger offers a shot glass. Perhaps a Harveys tankard? Suddenly there's just over eleven months in which to get everything sorted, a good deal less for some of the other matters.

To chip time or not to chip time, what to charge as an entry fee, do we enforce a cut-off time (yes, probably 5 hours or perhaps 5:30), how to accommodate those who want to take part but not run the full 26.2 (as it will be next year). We've decided against a half next year, offering a limited number of relay team spots instead, where two runners can run half each (may need special medals for these, or perhaps half-tankards). The halfway point at Southease village, where we plan to have temporary shelter and possibly port-a-loos, with its railway connection to Lewes, offers the perfect spot for a change-over.

It's full steam ahead for 2015. So, MLCMMan, BB, Antonio, best start saving those pennies and adding some hill reps to that schedule. It's time to run some of our Sussex hills for a change.
30-03-2014, 07:46 AM,
RE: March Is Moyleman Month
Looking forward to being able to take part in the first edition of that wonderful race as a homage to Chris. I could take some other Almerians with me.

Best of luck with the organisation of it, S.!

30-03-2014, 01:16 PM,
RE:
Fuck. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. That's real pressure, man. Fuck.

Jeeeeeezus.

Fuck.
Run. Just run.
30-03-2014, 02:02 PM,
(30-03-2014, 01:16 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Fuck. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. That's real pressure, man. Fuck.

Jeeeeeezus.

Fuck.

HA HA HA, great post, I was thinking just the same!!! Big Grin
5 hours is a bit tight isn't it?
30-03-2014, 10:58 PM,
(30-03-2014, 02:02 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: 5 hours is a bit tight isn't it?

Possibly, though all our test event finishers completed in under 5, including two for whom this was their first marathon. That said, we had great weather. It might take a little longer in a maelstrom.

We're keen to manage numbers and keep an eye on how long we need the high street closed to traffic. A relay option might tempt those who feel the pinch at 5 hours. 5'30" would open it up to a few more. 'Hard but fair' seems right to me.
31-03-2014, 07:17 AM,
(30-03-2014, 10:58 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(30-03-2014, 02:02 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: 5 hours is a bit tight isn't it?

Possibly, though all our test event finishers completed in under 5, including two for whom this was their first marathon. That said, we had great weather. It might take a little longer in a maelstrom.

We're keen to manage numbers and keep an eye on how long we need the high street closed to traffic. A relay option might tempt those who feel the pinch at 5 hours. 5'30" would open it up to a few more. 'Hard but fair' seems right to me.

If you're wanting to keep numbers down to a manageable level, how about considering a qualifying time, rather than a cut-off? Personally I think 5 hours for that course is going to be well-nigh impossible for someone like myself, and I wouldn't risk coming over for it given the likelihood of failure. A qualifying time/event would at least give me some idea of whether or not it's possible.

As for traffic control etc., you could easily re-open roads after the five hours or whatever, and have the tail-enders complete the race on the footpaths, rather than fail completely.

Just a thought, anyhow.
Run. Just run.
31-03-2014, 10:40 AM,
(31-03-2014, 07:17 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: If you're wanting to keep numbers down to a manageable level, how about considering a qualifying time, rather than a cut-off? Personally I think 5 hours for that course is going to be well-nigh impossible for someone like myself, and I wouldn't risk coming over for it given the likelihood of failure. A qualifying time/event would at least give me some idea of whether or not it's possible.

As for traffic control etc., you could easily re-open roads after the five hours or whatever, and have the tail-enders complete the race on the footpaths, rather than fail completely.

Just a thought, anyhow.

Good feedback, mate, as ever. These ideas are there to be shot at and mulled over in order to make the event the best it can be for a majority of participants (runners, volunteers, marshals, lead bikes, Medics etc).

The Two Oceans has both a qualifying and a cut-off time, as do several other tough courses. You're right about the roads. It's only the last 500 metres or so, and the street is cobbled/ semi-pedestrianised, with irregular car traffic. No problem for stragglers to keep coming in.

I'd want to discourage people who 'fancy having a go' and end up getting into difficulty on what is at times a remote, unforgiving course. You've run P2P in under 3 hours. A fit MLCMMan will have no problem getting round the Moyleman in under 5'30". Also, I'm not advocating shooting the tail-enders (hmm, hang on ...) or even hauling them off the course.

More thoughts, views and ideas are welcome. We're still in the early stages of an incredibly exciting and challenging event. This all helps us make it better.
31-03-2014, 11:31 AM,
I think what you're doing is fantastic Sweder.

My advice would be to talk to other Race Organisers who do similar events.

My own club organise The Yorkshireman, for example, from Haworth. An off-road half/full. The full is run as solo and pairs. 500 runners. Bits of road at start/finish.

http://kcac.co.uk/yorkshireman/

RO contact details are there. Drop him a line.

In fact a good thing to do would be to spend the next 9 months running off-road marathons as research Big Grin

I'll try and get fit for next year's event certainly.
31-03-2014, 12:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014, 12:21 PM by Sweder.)
(31-03-2014, 11:31 AM)glaconman Wrote: I'll try and get fit for next year's event certainly.

Sound advice indeed, G-Man. We're talking to local ACs and using feedback from our trialists to tweak things. I'll certainly tap up your RO if the Chinese web monitors let me access the site from Shanghai.

It would be an honour to have you and as many RCers as possible take part in the Moyleman.
And to share a pint or two of Harveys.
01-04-2014, 12:45 AM,
Sounds like a great plan. It's been a long while since I visited Lewes.
02-04-2014, 12:56 PM,
Depends what sort of event you want it to be. Bizarrely, I had thought I would do it myself, but obviously not in 5 or even 5:30 hours. Maybe I'll stick to my marshal plan, which was the original thought.

I don't know the course but I presume you would do what organisers of tough races always do i.e. issue loads of warnings and insist on a certain minimum level of fitness. It wouldn't prevent some fat, wheezing idiot turning up untrained, but at least you'll have done your bit, and should be enough to get you cleared by the coroner's jury.

I'd want to discourage people who 'fancy having a go' and end up getting into difficulty on what is at times a remote, unforgiving course.

Fair enough. You mentioned earlier that there's a handy halfway point at Southease, so I suppose you could further stipulate that runners had to reach that point in a certain time (2:30?), and if they didn't they'd be shepherded onto the Lewes train or a special bus. In this way, you'd be weeding out the obvious strugglers likely to get into trouble later on. (Bear in mind though that the majority of people who have died in races in recent years have been fit and healthy. It's usually an undiagnosed health problem, or just too much enthusiasm/effort that does them in. The corpulent crawlers tend to be well aware of their limitations and get home safely.)

I guess you need to have a few volunteers to walk or jog the second half of the course behind the back markers to ensure you don't leave anyone out there on the hills. MLCMM is right about opening the roads at a fixed time and asking slower finishers to use the footpaths. They even do this in London past a certain point (about 6:30 hours I think).
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-04-2014, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM by glaconman.)
Good suggestion EG.

The 3 Peaks has 2 cut-off points en route. It ensures that only people with a certain level of fitness enter. And allows the marshals to pack-up after a reasonable time. You wouldn't want to be sat on Ingleborough all day in a gale just so a bunch of walkers can say they 'ran' the 3 Peaks Fell Race.
03-04-2014, 11:47 PM,
(02-04-2014, 01:15 PM)glaconman Wrote: Good suggestion EG.

The 3 Peaks has 2 cut-off points en route. It ensures that only people with a certain level of fitness enter. And allows the marshals to pack-up after a reasonable time. You wouldn't want to be sat on Ingleborough all day in a gale just so a bunch of walkers can say they 'ran' the 3 Peaks Fell Race.

Very much so. I thought I'd mentioned a halfway time (perhaps this was to MLCMMan earlier) of 2:30 a 2:45. In fact one lady did drop out at precisely that section. She had run 28 miles the day before so we didn't rib her too much.

Part of me loathes any kind of restriction as it smacks of elitism (we're a lifetime away from that) but as you've spotted I'm mindful of possible poor weather and the safety and sanity of our marshals. I'm less concerned about runners croaking than I am about tired runners finding a way to veer of course. The Longman suffered terribly from poor marshalling at the top of the Snake. Several runners were sent left towards the sea, adding 4 or 5 miles to an already tough run.

EG we had a tail gunner on the trial run (bike) who also stopped and collected all signage on route (we have a firm commitment to 'leave only footprints and sweat' on our beautiful downs). He rocked up at 5'30" ish, a good 40 minutes behind the last finisher. You're spot on about the warnings. We'll need a waiver form on entry for insurance purposes. Like all these ideas, the fun stops when you look at the detail. We need to keep the funne element in there whilst looking out for people too dumb to do so for themselves. I have some ideas on that front.

Our aim is to take as many views on board as we can. Of the 14 trialists some suggested softening the finish (we can), others that they'd like to see even more hills to make it tougher. We'll try to pick a path that appeals to many without making it so easy that Dorothy and her chums could skip arm in arm down the Yellow Brick Road.
04-04-2014, 06:24 AM,
All good points.

I could moan for England on the subject of cut-offs, but I know very well that if I was trying to organise a race, I would immediately see a different side.

A cut-off in these situations is absolutely fair. Let's face it, the great majority of people entering a tough off-road marathon are not in the 'fun run' category. The only reason I considered it (literally the only reason) was the sentimental link. But even though my fitness should be much higher then (am still planning to use my deferred London Mara place a few weeks after the Moyleman), I still think I would be dawdling a lot of the route. In fact, I was looking forward to dawdling the route to enjoy the countryside, but I realise now that this isn't the right event for that.

Just a couple of other possibilities to throw on the table which you can discard without any further discussion --

-- What time is the start? Is there leeway to say to slow runners that they can put themselves into a slower category, like at the P2P, calling themselves "Walkers", where they have to start an hour, 2 hours before the official start? But on the understanding that a Walker will not be classed as part of the official running race finishers? (Objection, m' Lud: would still need marshals etc on the course, so perhaps not.)

-- Maybe people in my category, either officially or unofficially, could have a Moyleman Walk the day before, where we walk the course and even use the opportunity to put up some of the way markers and signs etc?

In fact, damn it, I might just announce the Moyleman Walk for the day before. At the very minimum, would still be a lovely hike in the country -- though a long one. Even a walker would need to be pretty fit. Maybe just part of the route.

Either way, I'll be there for the weekend and will happily volunteer for whatever needs doing -- apart from running.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-04-2014, 06:50 AM,
RE:
Tremendous news that you'll be there. I certainly won't be running, either. A calming influence and knowledgable, experienced campaigner will be if great use at times of greatest challenge. Your help is both needed and much appreciated.

I do like the idea of a walk. I reckon you could hike the route in around seven hours. We certainly need help marking the course on the Saturday. Once again, I refer my learned friend to the issue of weather. A seven hour hike in wind and rain, or, possibly, snow? Hmm. Those blurry vistas might lose their allure. But, given good weather, this would give others a chance to experience the event. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a race-day early start for walkers. Runners' start is 10am. Walkers could set off at 8 and we'd see most home in time for tea, or some other refreshing beverage, before sundown.

We should take care not to walk before we can run. That is to say, our next step is from 14 hardened hill runners to anything up to 200 souls. Given we're all novices in this sort of malarkey it might be best to keep it simple in 2015. Another reason I didn't want to add a half for next year. Too many variables. Once we've held a successful first edition we can add one or both. An 'unofficial' walk on the Saturday, as a marking out event, is a great idea and one I shall shamelessly purloin forthwith Big Grin
04-04-2014, 07:04 AM,
(04-04-2014, 06:50 AM)Sweder Wrote: I certainly won't be running, either.

Really? I thought you'd give your eye teeth to run it?
Run. Just run.
04-04-2014, 09:01 AM,
"some suggested softening the finish (we can), "

This is the end of The Yorkshireman. It's called Butt Lane. Appropriately. And it's steeper than it looks.

I better stop there before this turns into the Monty Python Yorkshireman sketch.

[Image: Butt+Lane+Cobbles+Start.png]
04-04-2014, 09:10 AM,
RE:
Looooxury!
Run. Just run.
04-04-2014, 09:32 AM,
(04-04-2014, 09:01 AM)glaconman Wrote: This is the end of The Yorkshireman. It's called Butt Lane. Appropriately. And it's steeper than it looks.

I better stop there before this turns into the Monty Python Yorkshireman sketch.

Don't tell me you have to lick it clean wit' tongue?

And the cutoff time is half an hour before the start time?
04-04-2014, 09:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE:
Aye, and if we didn't win first prize our father would cut us in arf wit' axe and dance about on our graves singin' "Hallelujah".
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2017 Sweder 22 11,881 28-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  March Or Die Sweder 28 14,144 31-03-2016, 06:01 AM
  March 2013 Sweder 32 19,917 30-03-2013, 12:51 PM
  March 2012 Sweder 18 13,069 30-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  March 2009 Sweder 26 23,529 12-07-2011, 02:57 AM