Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orange Silver April
07-04-2013, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013, 06:22 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Orange Silver April
Lindfield 10km Fun Run - Race Report

"Whoever named this race a "fun run" clearly hasn't run the sodding thing" - just about every person I spoke to during the race this morning.

This morning's race was noticeable for the number of kids runnnig it... and running it well, I might add. Mostly they were high-school students, but there were a number of younger ones too - some of them excellent runners, and I spent much of the last 4km unsuccessfully attempting to keep pace with an 8 y.o. girl named "Maggie".

It wasn't until after the event that I learned that most of these kids were cross country runners, using this race as a warm-up event to the start of the XC season. The reason is clear when you do the thing - apart from the last 200 metres around the sports oval at the end of the race there isn't a flat section in it, with several killer hills and many twists and turns. A fast, flat course it isn't, although it was mercifully devoid of mud and cow pats.

My own race went OK although I committed a classic faux pas in starting at the very front of the pack. I only did so because as I approached the start line I saw my sister-in-law standing there and so fell into conversation with her. Before I knew it the race start was at hand and it was too late to move to the back of the field. The first kilometre was therefore a miserable one consisting of me trying to hold a steady line down the middle of the road whilst being constantly jostled and passed by far superior athletes until I thought surely the whole field had passed me by. In that situation it's impossible to maintain a steady, slow pace and so my first km passed in just 4:52, well under 10km PB pace and far from what I was anticipating - this after all was not supposed to be hard-run race for me. But, well, what can you do?

After a couple of kilometres things started to settle down and I began to concentrate on the main task at hand, i.e. not dying on the numerous hills, some short and sharp, some long and .... also sharp.

The race consists of two laps of a 5km course, the second lap being all the harder because you know all-too-well what's coming. To be honest I spent most of the second lap just trying to hang on up the hills and attempting to recover a little on the obscenely short downhill sections.

All said and done, I wasn't unhappy with my final time of 58:45, and with the second lap being only 19 seconds slower than the first in spite of the unplanned incredibly fast first kilometre. Hard work it definitely was, and a flush of endorphins post-race made me glad I had entered.

Now for the final week of tapering. A couple of very short runs will see me through to race day next Sunday... am looking forward to it, and feel fit and in form.

Touch wood. Wink

[Image: Lindfield%20elevation.jpg]
Run. Just run.
07-04-2013, 08:40 PM,
RE: Orange Silver April
Sounds like a great warmup MLCM - not too easy, not too hard, a great day out among the running community to whet your appetite, and just a tiny tactical error to remind you to do things right on the big day. Hope you have a great, relaxed week and enjoy the buildup!
09-04-2013, 01:25 PM,
Starting at the front eh? A schoolboy error not even made by err...schoolboys it seems.

Enjoy the race next Sunday.
09-04-2013, 08:20 PM,
Good luck with the race MLCMM!

Suzie
13-04-2013, 07:05 AM,
I like that sound of that 10k OM.
Enjoy this week of taper madness. I'll be cheering you on every step of the way
ON, ON!!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-04-2013, 12:37 PM,
Best of luck tomorrow, MLCMM!

13-04-2013, 08:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013, 09:41 PM by marathondan.)
Live results here!

Start is 7am, which by my reckoning is 10pm Sat UK time.

GO CRISIS! (bib 447)

(Update - link here for MLCMM's live split times!)
13-04-2013, 10:24 PM,
10.5K... 1:07:24... 6:25 min/km

= 4h30 pace

GO CRISIS!
13-04-2013, 10:49 PM,
OK sports fans, I'm off to bed now... tune in tomorrow morning for the results show, and hopefully some reaction from the great man himself!

All together now... GO CRISIS!
14-04-2013, 07:02 AM,
... and MLCMM crosses the tape in... 4:41:43.

A 15 min PB - sounds pretty good to me.

Very well done mate - looking forward to hearing all about it.

Hope you're rehydrating well.
14-04-2013, 08:24 AM,
Top run. Confirmation from the man himself via FB of the PB and some 'wall' interaction. A tale to be told after a beer, shower & sofa-time, no doubt.
Whoop!!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-04-2013, 12:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013, 11:01 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
I saw Jesus THREE times today! – 2013 Canberra Marathon Race Report
Canberra is one of my favourite places in Australia to visit. It is the capital city of Australia and just 100 years old this year. Architecturally designed, the site was chosen in 1908 as a compromise location between rival cities Sydney and Melbourne and as the capital of the newly formed Commonwealth of Australia. Designed by Walter Burley Griffin, the entire city was set out to work in with the landscape, an ideal that has continued to this day. The feeling of space and closeness with the landscape is just about tangible in Canberra, and for that reason I have for many years wanted to run the marathon there.

This was my third stint at training for the Canberra race, and this time most things went well, and so I found myself lined up with about 4,000 others waiting for the combined start of the marathon and half-marathon races in the cool of a Canberran autumn. The weather can be a lottery in Canberra at this time of year, with overnight lows in April anywhere from -4C to +18C. This morning we scored something around +8C, cool enough for us Sydney runners, where overnight lows are still quite mild at around 15C, but positively warm for local runners who scoffed at our fleeces and beanies. One man standing near me at the start and wearing a “Port Moresby Running Club” vest looked nearly blue with cold.

My main goal was simply to post a PB, which should perhaps be a given really in only my second marathon, but so many things can go wrong on the day that it seemed prudent to keep the goal-setting simple. If I could get down around the 4h30m, so much the better, but my race plan was essentially to run the first half at a comfortable pace and see how I fared from there. My nutrition plan was also simple – drink water only and take a gel about every hour. My training had been based on this simple formula and seemed to work, so I was confident of fewer stomach troubles than I had last time.

With all that in mind I moved to the back of the field for the start and pretty soon the gun fired and we were off. The first 10.5km of the marathon was a loop around the imposing Parliament House, which sits atop and under Capital Hill. This was the prettiest part of the course, and I made sure I took the time to soak up the views. The weather was glorious for running, and the wonderful Canberran landscape was topped by the sight of a dozen or so colourful hot air balloons drifting above us. Quite stunning! Runners were in a buoyant mood, with each kilometre marker greeted by shouts of “Yay, we’re into the final 38 kilometres!” (etc), and regular Sunday joggers who were taking advantage of the road closures were ribbed with predictable but happy shouts of “You’re going the wrong way!” as they passed us, for the most part eyeing us with expressions of pity or disbelief.

The first 10km passed incident free and in a comfortable 1:03:14. I took my first gel at this point and settled in for the long haul, the rest of the race consisting principally of two 14km laps set around large parts of Lake Burley Griffin, which divides the parliamentary precinct from the main business sector of Canberra.

At the 16km point I was surprised to be overtaken by the race leader, already on his second lap and having covered 32km. This meant he was shooting through the course at about 3 min/km and would be on target for sub 2h10m! Given the race was usually won in a time of around 2h30m this was a little staggering, but the distance between him and the next runners suggested he was running at an unsustainable rate (which proved to be the case, although he still finished in a creditable time of 2h24m).

About two kilometres later (c.18km) I had my first encounter with Jesus. We were at that stage passing many runners who had reached the turnaround point of the course and who were now running back past us on the other side of the road. Among them was Jesus, running barefoot , with a crown of thorns on his head and wearing a loin-cloth. Looking just like countless pictures we’ve seen of him, he had a Jesus-beard and a serene smile, and was running well. If the crown of thorns was in any way uncomfortable, he seemed to be dealing with it "blissfully". However, of stigmata there was nothing to be seen, so I must confess to having doubts as to his authenticity … oh me of little faith. angel

The 20km mark came up in a little over 2h08m, and the half-way point in 2h15:30. I was travelling well and feeling comfortable and began to entertain ideas of a 4h30m finish, all the time of course well aware of the perils of such thinking. I took another gel and fell into conversation with a woman in her mid-40s running her 100th marathon. Sharp-minded viewers may remember I also encountered a woman running her 100th marathon in my first mara, the Sydney marathon last September. This Canberra encounter was more pleasant than the first one, and I had quite a nice chat with her – she was an astonishing lady, having run 100 marathons and 13 ultra-marathons in just 16 years of running! Quite an inspiration, although I simply can’t imagine the amount of time and devotion it must require to chalk up such an astonishing number of endurance races.

The 23km mark saw us briefly back in the parliamentary precinct before commencing the second 14km lap of the lake. At 25km I was surprised by a shout from Mrs MLCMM, who was waiting at the side of the road, camera in hand. A quick, sweaty hug, a posed photo and an assurance that I was running well and I was on my way again. Indeed, I was running well, but the day was warming up, the sun was out and I was drinking greedily at each water station. Salt was beginning to build up on my face and the conditions were becoming something of a concern, but for the moment all was well. At 26km we mercifully began the second lap and was able to leave behind all the elite runners who had been overtaking us in their run to the finish.

Up until the 30km my run had been going very well indeed. I hit 30km in 3h09m, nicely on target for 4h30m, but by now the run was starting to get harder. I took another gel around this time and started to knuckle down to some hard kilometres. From the 31km mark we started a 3km out-and-back section along the lakeside, and it was disconcerting to see all the other runners ahead of us streaming by on the other side of the road. At about 32km I again saw Jesus, still running well, but looking less serene and I knew I was slowly catching him, although clearly, barring some un-divine intervention he would still finish well ahead of me. I again looked at his bare feet and wondered how on earth his feet were holding up on what was now baking hot bitumen. The road surface was unusually harsh – it seemed normal road surface, but my feet and knees were taking more than a usual beating, and I heard numerous complaints from runners about their hurting feet and knees.

My kilometre splits were starting to blow out somewhat, but I was still holding a good average pace. However the 35th and 36th kilometres were tremendously hard, and then finally, inevitably perhaps, I hit the wall. The 37th kilometre I pretty much walked in its entirety, and any thought of a 4h30m finish was gone. Still, I was hopeful that once recovered I could finish reasonably well. My head was still clear, but my legs had tanked. Another gel was out of the question as my stomach was no longer processing any fuel and was giving me a stern warning not to pour anything more into it stronger than water.

The last 5 - 6 kilometres were therefore nothing more than a “survival shuffle”, buoyed only by the incredible support of volunteers, spectators and the other runners, also suffering in the latter parts of the race. There really is something about the camaraderie of suffering in the last part of a marathon that makes it … worthwhile? Not sure that’s quite the right way to put it, but suffering shared is certainly suffering reduced (if not actually halved) and it’s a great and noble feeling.

The last kilometre was almost heart-wrenching, the crowd support was that great. I was quite emotional when I finally crossed that finish line and found Mrs MLCMM again standing there, camera in hand to capture the moment. I was barely able to walk but she guided me through the finishing chute (fortunately by this stage the number of finishers was diminished sufficiently for the officials to allow non-runners in to the recovery area), collecting water, the all-important medal and to wander groggily around the assorted stands and paraphernalia that is found in après-race areas.

That is also where I saw Jesus for the third time, still clad in crown-of-thorns and loin-cloth but now wearing a pair of sensible running shoes. Later I kicked myself for not getting a photo, but honestly at the time all I could really think about was to keep on moving – if I stopped moving I would sit down, and if I sat down, well I might still be sitting there now.

Eventually we staggered back to our accommodation, mercifully only a few hundred metres from the race finish line, where I collapsed in a chair and attempted to revive sufficiently to fall into the shower and contemplate some rehydration and lunch.

My split times during the race had been automatically posted on Facebook, and I was a little staggered to see a large number of congratulatory message there already, which was every bit as touching as the support of the crowd during the race. So thank you, all of you who have posted messages, and I’m only sorry I haven’t replied to you all individually. But I am touched by your support.

So then it was a three-hour drive back to Sydney, further re-hydration and re-fuelling, a bit of couch time, and then a determined effort to get this report posted, seeing how so many of you were eager for some kind of race report. It’s no great piece of eloquence, but I hope it suffices!

Mrs MLCMM asked me when we returned home if I would like to run the Canberra race again. I said in all honesty that I needed a day or two to consider it. It hurt out there today, it really did, but I learned a lot. My final time of 4h41m was a good 15 minutes inside my previous time in the Sydney event, so I’m of course very happy with that. To improve further, I somehow have to push “hitting the wall” back further and further. I certainly did that this time, and coped with the crash better generally, but to improve much more is going to require a lot more training, all of which takes much time and effort. We’ll see what tomorrow brings, I think.

But! It certainly was a thrill to finally run Canberra – a beautiful, fantastic race, and a big improvement on my Sydney marathon effort. I could easily see myself being lulled into running another one someday, but, as I said, let’s just see what happens next.

Thanks again everyone for your support. I keep saying this, but only because it’s true – I’m only running today because of runningcommentary.net and all you wonderful people who populate it, motivating and inspiring in your own unique ways. So thank you, each and all!

And now, I'm off to bed to sleep a long and very deep sleep. Smile

[Image: Canberra_mara_25km.JPG]
At the 25km point - still feeling good, and yes, I am running backwards (only briefly, for the camera)!

[Image: Canberra_mara_finish.JPG]
Relief at the finish line.

[Image: canberra_mara_medal.JPG]
One happy finisher with that all-important medal.
Run. Just run.
14-04-2013, 01:34 PM,
Congratulations, MLCMM! You've made me feel as if I had been taking part at the race. You've been lucky with your race number ending in 47.

Enjoy your well deserved rest!

Saludos desde Almería

14-04-2013, 10:04 PM,
Smile Glad to see you so clearly enjoying your running MLCM. What an excellent run and a promptly produced race report. Bet Jesus loves you!
15-04-2013, 10:30 AM,
Great work MLCMM, a Herculean effort to get to the finish and generally a grand day out to reward you for all those training miles. You don't look in bad shape at the finish, either! So long as you can hobble to the fridge, you'll be OK...!
15-04-2013, 10:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013, 12:54 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Thanks gents - the re-hydration strategy is going according to plan, so apologies for any typos here...

Antonio - yep, 447 is the closest I've come to your magic number, but I'm sure the day will come when I score a "247". I hear good money changes hands in order to get your much-vaunted race number, but I'm sure I'll score it one day!

BB - Yes I am very much enjoying my running, truly I am. It took too many years to overcome repetitive injuries, but I'm attempting to make the most of it now. I still feel there is better to come, however. Stay tuned on that score. And yep, at least I can say I've run a marathon with Jesus Smile

Dan - thanks for that. I indeed came out the race feeling pretty good, at least after a few hours recuperation. 32 hours later and I'm feeling very good, with minimal soreness and just a little general tiredness. Some might suggest that indicates I didn't go hard enough, which may be true, but I'm preferring to think it was just down to good old-fashioned hard training. And how are you travelling, by the way? Any pangs of regret for ditching the annual mara for the tri? Do you itch to get the scissors and gaffa and glue out and make some wacky costume again?
Run. Just run.
15-04-2013, 11:36 AM,
(15-04-2013, 10:59 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: It took too many years to overcome repetitive injuries, but I'm attempting to make the most of it now. I still feel there is better to come, however.

I meant to mention that, too. This is all the better because it's been so long in the making.

(15-04-2013, 10:59 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: 32 hours later and I'm feeling very good, with minimal soreness and just a little general tiredness. Some might suggest that indicates I didn't go hard enough, which may be true,

You might indeed draw that conclusion. Particularly given that it seems it was good old glycogen depletion that slowed you down at the end, rather than the legs giving out.

They do say that the wall should be avoidable by taking in enough carbs in the race, provided you've done the long runs (which you did). In my humble opinion (i.e. what I've done) I would double your gel intake to one every half hour, and maybe swap water for energy drinks in the last hour. Glad to see you've dropped the camelbak; I think received wisdom is that they're not an efficient way to run a marathon.

(15-04-2013, 10:59 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: And how are you travelling, by the way? Any pangs of regret for ditching the annual mara for the tri? Do you itch to get the scissors and gaffa and glue out and make some wacky costume again?

Tune in to my forum in about half an hour for an update...
15-04-2013, 01:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013, 01:06 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(15-04-2013, 11:36 AM)marathondan Wrote: They do say that the wall should be avoidable by taking in enough carbs in the race, provided you've done the long runs (which you did). In my humble opinion (i.e. what I've done) I would double your gel intake to one every half hour, and maybe swap water for energy drinks in the last hour.

I'm reaching that conclusion myself. If running burns between 3,000 - 3,300 kJ per hour, it seems reasonable to think that one 400kJ energy gel per hour is insufficient.

The main problem for me is the stomach, which after three hours seems to pack up and refuse to ingest carbs. However, I look at Ironmen triathletes and ultramarathoners and note that they complete these astonishing events by cramming in as many kilojoules as they can as they go, so I guess it's just a case of training, training and more training.

It is the case that I've trained my stomach to cope with three gels per race whereas initially one was about as much as I could "stomach" (literally), so I think I'll go with your suggestion and start taking more gels and using more electrolytes during training. After all, training the stomach is probably just as important as training the legs and head when it comes to endurance running, eh?

Thanks Dan! Wink
Run. Just run.
15-04-2013, 01:43 PM,
Actually, now I think about it... in the last couple of years I've ditched gels and gone for jelly babies instead. (I take it they are a worldwide delicacy - soft jelly sweets, minature human form optional). I find 3-4 of those per half hour is a lot more pleasant than a gel. The key is that they're soft enough to get down in a few quick chews.
15-04-2013, 01:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013, 01:59 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(15-04-2013, 01:43 PM)marathondan Wrote: Actually, now I think about it... in the last couple of years I've ditched gels and gone for jelly babies instead.

Hmm well yes. Jelly babies are just glucose, which is what the marathoners of yesteryear used to put in their drinking water (the most famous example being Abebe Bikila) ... I've often thought about doing this but the danger is that if you don't get it right you can have negative repercussions. I used glucose in the P2P for example, and it didn't work at all well - I think the intake of too much simple sugar is a problem to be avoided (especially if running for JDRF!) ... more work required on that front.

Of course the trouble is that we don't generally train to the marathon distance, and so race day is very much venturing into the unknown until you've completed several of the buggers. And as every runner has a diffrerent metabolism it's hard to draw on the experience of others without putting it to the test ... which means running more marathons.

The main thing seems to to getting the stomach used to digesting food whilst on the run - if you can do that, then you can refuel to your heart's content. And that seems to be a matter of training, training, training. Bugger, bugger, bugger!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  April May Yet test me... Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 13 3,500 07-06-2019, 03:46 AM
Last Post: suzieq
  April Fuels Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 24 4,765 30-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  April May be alright. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 21 4,974 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
  April Powers Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 24 10,835 30-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5
  April showers. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 17 6,673 14-05-2015, 06:05 PM
  April Fuel 2014 Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 32 15,960 29-04-2014, 10:14 AM
  Stable April Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 26 10,919 01-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  April Cools Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 33 21,872 05-05-2011, 12:05 AM
  Au revoir, April. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 4 2,642 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
  April Bloody April, Nothing Rhymes With April. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 31 18,569 01-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler