Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Links
06-05-2012, 11:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-11-2012, 07:22 AM by Sweder.)
Running Links
Following a few recent conversations about barefoot running I've linked back to this post.
Hope it's useful to you.

I've posted links below to answer questions and point folks towards some of the topics discussed. If you're a regular visitor this will all be old news. Under each heading is a link to a piece on here or an external link to book reviews or pieces I've enjoyed on the subject.

Offroad Races/ Running
Something I plan to do more of, simply because the impact of hard-top running on my battered legs is becoming intolerable.

Steyning Stinger - my race with Moyleman. A full, offroad marathon.

Travesia Integral de los Montes Aquiianos - Bierzo Baggie's adventures in the Spanish mountains

Inclement Weather - some outings are more fun than others. Caution: may be off-putting

[Image: file_3_28.jpg]

Barefoot Running
We've had a fair few debates on here about this. The consensus is we're not Tamahumara Indians and BF running is NOT for everyone. It is, in my view, a good way to alter your running style, helps to avoid injuries BUT, like all good medicine, should be taken in small doses, at least at first.

Vibrams Five Fingers - I wear these and find them comfortable. Other manufacturers have got in on the act lately so do look about. Just like when buying road shoes, go to a proper outlet and try them on. Sizes vary between manufacturers, although I found Vibrams to match the Mizuno shoe sizes pretty well.

Cool New York Times piece on Barefoot running.

Another from Guardian Sport offering a balanced overview without conclusive findings.

I can't say this enough, barefoot running is not for everyone. It has helped me to adjust my running style and avoid injury, as has/ does running offroad in Mizuno wave harriers (they have less cushioning than road running shoes). As the great George Sheehan says, we are all an experiement of one.

Books/ Writing On Running
Anything by El Gordo on here. It might not always be about running per se, but it is always worth reading.
Here's a lovely piece to start with re-posted recently by Mid Life Crisis Man.

Feet in the Clouds - a story of fell running and obsession. Excellent.

Born To Run - rollicking tale of one man's search for better running, barefoot science and a super-human tribe of uber runners.

Hash House Harriers
My adventures running with the Hong Kong Hashers. Includes some historical background, but mostly apocryphal jibberish.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-05-2012, 09:35 PM,
RE: Running Links
Some great links there Sweder. I feel particularly honoured to find my Aquilianos report there. I can honestly say I haven't read it since I posted it 6 years ago so it'll be nice to go through it again before attempting The Long Route again next month.

Those Mizuno Wave Harriers are truly superb. I've battered mine and they've certainly helped me run downhill much more efficiently. I've worn them for long routes as well (Zegama last year, the Aquilianos..) and I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to do when they disintegrate completely.
07-05-2012, 12:25 AM,
I've got three pairs on the go ... 2 x orange WH2 and 1 x blue WH3. Like you I'll run in these until they literally fall apart.
Great shoes.

28-11-2012, 08:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-11-2012, 10:08 PM by Sweder.)
Sad news. Just before I set sail for the Flatlands I had to say farewell to that first pair of Mizuno WH3s. The sides have split, letting in even more mud and rainwater than usual, so much so that my feet were in danger of sliding out the sides and into the filth. I paused over the bin before dropping them into the darkness.

Farewell, faithful friends.
Sniff.

28-11-2012, 08:23 PM,
I wish that was the worst could happen to me while running. It must be a sign of having run too much with them.

Good luck with the new ones, S.!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockdown Larks: A Non-Running Update Sweder 5 1,146 26-03-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Running in North America 2 - Montreal Sweder 10 5,196 26-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Sideways - wine-tasting & running En France Sweder 9 4,283 17-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder