Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sideways - wine-tasting & running En France
14-08-2005, 05:29 PM,
Just returned from a two week sojourn around the vineyards of South Western France. Trips to Fronsac, Bordeaux, la Girande and the Medoc region yielded not only some excellent wine and a passion for Pineau, but some unexpected road miles to boot. A diary summary appears below - reports and pics to follow:

Tuesday 02/08 - 4.6 miles - 41:50*
Wednesday 03/08 - 4.6 miles - 41:08*
Friday 05/08 - 4.6 miles - 38:48
Saturday 06/08 - 4.6 miles - 52:03**
Sunday 07/08 - 8.8 miles - 1:13:10
Tuesday 09/08 - 2.0 miles - 22:40**
Thursday 11/08 - 4.6 miles - 38:58
Friday 12/08 - 4.6 miles - 39:41
Saturday 13/08 - 2.0 miles - 18:27*

* with Cousin Carol
** with wife Shayne

14-08-2005, 10:39 PM,
Tasting notes aswell I hope.
15-08-2005, 12:22 AM,
Pineau de Charentes? Yes, an interesting regional speciality that you rarely see over here.

Well done on keeping your hand in. I'm in Boston at the moment, determined to "get out there" tomorrow for the first time in a week or so.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-08-2005, 09:13 AM,
Yes, the very same.
I couldn't decide if I prefered the rouge or the blanc, despite intensive testing under various conditions (in the sun, in the shade, in the pool, on the sun lounger, before a meal, after a meal . . .). Our holiday dwelling was in the grounds of one of the regions' finest Pineau producers, so supply was never an issue.

For those unfamiliar with Pineau, it is a blend of so-called inferior wines (in this case Merlot and Cab. Sauv. grapes grown outside the much vaunted Medoc, Jonsac and St Emillion vineyards) and Cognac, forming a most agreeable and quaffable apperatif (or elevenses snifter, or nightcap, or anything in between really). As you say Andy, a regional delight (and one that, I suspect, like many 'holiday drinks', may lose it's allure out of context).

Another 5 miles this morning, though sadly for my legs not the flat, gently winding cinder tracks through the cognac vines and the sunflowers; rather the bone-jarring crunch of the climb to Black Cap and a return to the Sussex downs. 47:15, my slowest for some time. Lots of hard work required to get my hill legs back in action.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-08-2005, 10:21 AM,
I too have just returned from 2 weeks in Honfleur, much wine was tasted, (especially Grand Cru Beaujolais) far too much delightful food was eaten, a modicum of running was done - 6lbs were gained - brilliant time - bu**er am now back at work.
15-08-2005, 10:49 AM,
stillwaddler Wrote:I too have just returned from 2 weeks in Honfleur, much wine was tasted, (especially Grand Cru Beaujolais) far too much delightful food was eaten, a modicum of running was done - 6lbs were gained - brilliant time - bu**er am now back at work.

Yeah, that work thing really stings, huh?
Planning to bore you rigid with tales, photos and all that. I wonder if I could hire Nigel to write it for me . . . ?
Must get some work done though . . .

15-08-2005, 10:55 AM,
to your report, I'm finding it difficult enough to get myself close enough to the keyboard to deal with the hundreds of emails cos my belly is now so big!!! :-)
Phew this is hard work !
15-08-2005, 04:07 PM,
So's mine sw......although possibly for a different reason. Sad
15-08-2005, 09:52 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:So's mine sw......although possibly for a different reason. Sad
Don't tell me you're pregnant . . . again . . .

17-08-2005, 10:10 AM,
A second 5 miler in three days - this IS getting serious!
Following on from my regular jaunts en France I decided to get one in at least every other day this week. I'm flying to Montreal on Thursday night - not the happiest time to be boarding an airliner, but c'est la vie - and the conundrum of getting runs in whilst away (and working) looms large on the horizon.

This early morning malarky is a shock to the system. Bear in mind 'early' for me is a 7am start, and given the time it's taking me to slug up and down the hills just now, that's way too late in the day. Talking to SP just now I whined about how tough it is to hit the hills after 2 weeks running on the flat.
'Now you know how we feel when you drag us up your bloody hills', he replied, sympathy safely tucked away for another occasion.

I engaged the services of Planet Rock this morning, looking for inspiration to suit my perspiration.
I got a mixed bag.

On the ascent, ACDC's It's a Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) delivered cool irony as I laboured up the rocky paths to Black Cap.

At the Summit, The Who suggested I Can See For Miles, except I couldn't really as the morning sun had yet to burn off the sea mist draped lazily across the dozing downs.

On the return leg I hoped for Tom Petty, and I got some - sadly not Running Down a Dream, my favorite fast-pace soundtrack, but Freefallin', more appropriate for my current running style.

Round trip in 45:58, marginally quicker than Monday but still way over par.
Split in 25:22 shows I'm stronger in the second section, which is encouraging.

Summary: Good effort, must try harder.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockdown Larks: A Non-Running Update Sweder 5 1,154 26-03-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Running Links Sweder 4 3,183 28-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Running in North America 2 - Montreal Sweder 10 5,198 26-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder