Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June 2011
14-06-2011, 11:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 14-06-2011, 11:11 AM by Sweder.)
June 2011
I wasn't sure if I should start a diary for June, such is the paucity of recent activity in Swederville. Part of me cannot accept that I'm done with running, even on a temporary basis, so here's June for what it's worth.

Following a runless week working in Antwerp I returned last Friday night determined to get out with the hounds. They've grown and bulked up well, furry teenage velociraptors keen to get out whenever they can. I dragged myself out on saturday morning, short-circuiting my Blackcap route to around 4 miles. As is often the case after a lay-off my legs felt great. On Sunday I went the Full Cap, chugging up the final ascent at a snail's pace, gasping for air at the summit. The plod home offered chance for a withering assessment of form: there's very little left in the (rather larger, much slower) tank.

This was underlined in bold last evening when, after a day wrestling with the vagaries of trying to import health food and vitamins into Hong Kong, I decided to take advantage of the late evening sunshine. Ten minutes into the run I knew the game was up. Leaden legs, wobbling belly, profuse sweating, haggard breathing ... I was like a one-man episode of Casualty. I cut it short, barely 4 kilometers in total, and slumped dejectedly on a garden chair to ruminate on a truly ugly outing.

I'm not giving up, far from it. I'll keep plugging away in the hope that something will trigger those long-lost endorphins, rekindle my affair with Running and make the hills the only place to be once more.

Until then expect a few doleful missives on how to haul lard up hills.

Well done to Ladyrunner for consistently flying the flag here at RC. I have no idea how she does it; she's far busier than me yet seems to manage to stick to an impressive/ daunting training and racing schedule. Hats off!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-06-2011, 01:52 PM,
RE: June 2011
Maybe some new routes would help Sweder; then you can progress with less comparison and frustration.

You're invariably a man with a plan and I think most of us secretly prefer the varied topology of a chequered running career. Filled with peaks and troughs. Dark periods of self-doubt followed by periods of assiduous endeavour. Hang-in there.
14-06-2011, 03:36 PM,
(14-06-2011, 01:52 PM)glaconman Wrote: Maybe some new routes would help Sweder; then you can progress with less comparison and frustration.

You're invariably a man with a plan and I think most of us secretly prefer the varied topology of a chequered running career. Filled with peaks and troughs. Dark periods of self-doubt followed by periods of assiduous endeavour. Hang-in there.

Wise words....and if you need more, read this interview.

http://endurancejer.blogspot.com/2011/06...rview.html

this place ain't the same without you (and those dogs!)Big Grin
14-06-2011, 03:55 PM,
Now you're talking BB. People talk about a Second Coming .... all makes sense now.
14-06-2011, 04:45 PM,
(14-06-2011, 03:36 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Wise words....and if you need more, read this interview.

'the keys to success in ultra distance mountain racing are devastatingly simple: pile on the miles, be CONSISTENT with your daily running, run lots of vertical on rugged terrain'

Absolutely, and fair enough if you're a professional sportsman. I find it nigh on impossible to stay consistent for any period of time due to work, travel and home-life commitments. In fact I'm up to my flabby arse in excuses if anyone needs any.

I have a lot of time for Glaconman's observations on routes. I run the same old route (with occasional variation) because
a) it's accessible from my house without getting into a car
b) it's mostly safe for the dogs

The hounds get two outings a day, first thing and end of the day. They're extremely excitable teenagers just now so new/ less well-known routes are not really an option for me or for them. That means a longer/ new route runs would have to be in addition to 2 x 45 minute dog walks. That's a lot of time to find every day. See? I have excuses to spare.

I do have far more challenging terrain accessible from my doorstep; the Big W is only three miles away. That's about as verticle and rugged as you can get. I also have the streets of Lewes which offer less of a challenge by way of terrain but perhaps the change of scenery and the novetly of road-running offers the jolt I need. Once I've started to regain my mojo there's a great track through the town, up into the eastern Lewes hills and on to Glynde by way of some precipitous climbs and a deep downland valley. This ends at the Trevor Arms, purveyors of well-kept Harveys ale. Hmm ...

My gently forming running plans extend into the summer. With P2P fast moving into (training schedule) view I need to bank some core fitness. One plan is to take off on occasional early mornings to cover long distances very slowly, the old 'time on your feet' scenario. This will involve a lot of walking (some of the climbs on the W are only runable for athletes in tip-top shape) and possibly a return to the rucksack-mounted picnic adventure. I discussed these with Ladyrunner recently and she agreed it would be fun to pack away some victuals and head of for a 30 km sojourn through the hills and valleys some time.

Alas I'm way short of that sort of adventure, but without goals we are but aimless wanderers. My running goals for 2011 are now:

1. Establish base fitness by walking or running at least 3 miles every day
2. Get fit enough to cover 30 - 40 hilly kms slowly by September
3. Take part in the Jog Shop Jog (October)
4. Be ready for the point 2 Pinnacle in November

My other (whispered) hope is that a return to distance running, however slow and careful, will offer an opportunity to fill my head with nonsense to the point I have to write some of it down. I live in hope.

14-06-2011, 05:14 PM,
(14-06-2011, 04:45 PM)Sweder Wrote: [quote='Bierzo Baggie' pid='21106' dateline='1308065778']
Wise words....and if you need more, read this interview.

'the keys to success in ultra distance mountain racing are devastatingly simple: pile on the miles, be CONSISTENT with your daily running, run lots of vertical on rugged terrain'

Nah, you got the wrong part of the interview. I was thinking more along the lines of...

It’s 4 o’clock right now and so far today I’ve had a couple pieces of toast, about half a dozen apples, and a couple cans of diet root beer. I have no idea what I’ll have for dinner

Cool
14-06-2011, 06:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-06-2011, 06:19 PM by Sweder.)
(14-06-2011, 03:36 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: 'the keys to success in ultra distance mountain racing are devastatingly simple: pile on the miles, be CONSISTENT with your daily running, run lots of vertical on rugged terrain'

Nah, you got the wrong part of the interview. I was thinking more along the lines of...

It’s 4 o’clock right now and so far today I’ve had a couple pieces of toast, about half a dozen apples, and a couple cans of diet root beer. I have no idea what I’ll have for dinner

Cool

I have a new mantra.
Root beer is the answer!

Of course I'd be pretty relaxed about what's for dinner if I ran 150 MOUNTAIN MILES PER WEEK Jaw

14-06-2011, 06:40 PM,
Glad to hear the echo of a few distant voices again.

You already have the answer, Sweder, and that's the age-old one of having plans. You have too much pride to turn up for the events in your calendar with no training under your belt, so I'm confident it will all be resolved. GM is right about new routes, though your excuses are plausible. One simple route change is to do a usual circuit in reverse, but if I remember correctly, your Blackcap run is an out-and-back. Is there another way of reaching the summit, I wonder?

How about reviving your Saturday morning Parkruns, just to keep you engaged with the right crowd of people?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-06-2011, 01:06 PM,
(14-06-2011, 06:40 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Glad to hear the echo of a few distant voices again.

You already have the answer, Sweder, and that's the age-old one of having plans. You have too much pride to turn up for the events in your calendar with no training under your belt, so I'm confident it will all be resolved. GM is right about new routes, though your excuses are plausible. One simple route change is to do a usual circuit in reverse, but if I remember correctly, your Blackcap run is an out-and-back. Is there another way of reaching the summit, I wonder?

How about reviving your Saturday morning Parkruns, just to keep you engaged with the right crowd of people?

Violin

I should have thought the prospect of having your sorry lardy arse kicked up an antipodean mountain by a merciless Aussie would be incentive enough to get some miles under your kilt, but what would I know ... I'm just a convict, apparently.

Just get out there and do it man!

Yell
Run. Just run.
15-06-2011, 01:29 PM,
Hauled lard again last night, changing the route (slightly), though I suspect it was the cooler, thinner evening air that helped rather than the inperceptable change of scenery.

The understanding and, er, encouragement is most welcome. My Eeyore attitude comes from the knowledge that I've frittered and wasted the (running) hours in an offhand way to come degree. I keep re-booting then getting sidetracked. That and the apparently immovable object nestled around my midrift. How cruel, that middle-age spread should take hold just as I approach my half century.

Last night I banked 5.8 laboured kilometres, chuckling to myself as Ripley followed a succession of bobbing white tails that disappeared into the lengthening shadows as smoke vanishes on the breeze. What she lacks in guile she makes up for in raw speed. It won't be long before those teasing bunnies feel hot lurcher breath on their cheeky hindquarters. The boy remains clueless, happy to gawp at the shennanigans unfolding around him before bowling his sister off her feet and running off into the long grass.

A brisk 45 minute walk in the hills this morning with yet another (or maybe even a cheeky plod) scheduled for tonight. If I keep this up and lay off the big beer sessions I should start to drop a few kilos. That'll help.

15-06-2011, 01:38 PM,
(15-06-2011, 01:29 PM)Sweder Wrote: If I keep this up and lay off the big beer sessions I should start to drop a few kilos. That'll help.

Now don't you start on the iced fucking tea as well... beer's training food, you hear?!
Run. Just run.
16-06-2011, 02:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-06-2011, 02:53 PM by Sweder.)
Two further evening plods, circa four kilometres or so, with Willow the pups. I do like evening runs, especially in refreshing mizzle. Last night the hills were wrapped in grey cloud and mist, light rain fizzing off the tall grass. Feet inthe clouds indeed. I plod-skidded my way sedately around the course, watching the rabbits take cover long before the eager adolesent hounds caught wind of them.

It's still hard work for me out there. My right knee seems particularly reluctant to embrace these outings, creaking and groaning like Cyril Smith's kitchen table. I'll have to watch that. The lack of sure footing means the Vibrams have been tucked away for a while so I may have reverted to old-style heavy foot slapping/ heel striking.

Tonight offers another opportunity, though if the thunderheads continue to gather as they are now I may defer until morning and take a well-wrapped stroll instead.

16-06-2011, 02:59 PM,
Did you spot the lunar eclipse last night? Too cloudy these parts.

I have to concur with MLCM. Beer should be a given. It remains as a constant in any equation for running success. Abit like the speed of light. Only different.
16-06-2011, 03:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-06-2011, 03:20 PM by Sweder.)
(16-06-2011, 02:59 PM)glaconman Wrote: Did you spot the lunar eclipse last night? Too cloudy these parts.

Sadly no. Even if the skies were clear by then my eyes were firmly shut. I so knackered I could sleep for England just at the moment. Hmm, that might have something to do with my running lethargy too ... *scratched head, frowns*

(16-06-2011, 02:59 PM)glaconman Wrote: I have to concur with MLCM. Beer should be a given. It remains as a constant in any equation for running success. Abit like the speed of light. Only different.

Steady on Old Man ... Loose lips and all that.
I didn't say I'd give up the ale. I simply meant I'd try to avoid the 'big beer sessions', the ones that run into double digits and leave me resembling a barrel on legs.

Hmm ... seeing SP on Monday night. Oh well.

16-06-2011, 03:37 PM,
Fair enough Sweder. My beer limit is not high. Although I like regular, small doses.

Regarding tiredness and running. Have you ever thought about your iron consumption?

As a runner you need bags of it. Absorbtion will be inhibited if consumed with caffeine but aided by vit C.

So liver and black-pudding sandwiches for brekky with orange juice. Hang-fire on the coffee til 10.

Spinach and steak for tea with a bottle of guiness.

http://www.britishmilersclub.com/bmcnews/2008autumn.pdf

page 14
16-06-2011, 05:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-06-2011, 05:09 PM by Sweder.)
Guinness you say? Hmm ...
Funnily enough I've not been drinking too much of that lately. Wholesome Belgian Trappist beers and Badger's Firkin Fox have been topping my hops parade.

I appreciate the advice. Generally my iron intake is pretty poor so you may well be on to something. More on this to come I feel.
[Image: 4274708600_891eba369a_o.jpg]

20-06-2011, 12:52 PM,
Stop it stop it stop it stop it .... you bastards...! [drooling to the point of public nuisanceness]
Run. Just run.
21-06-2011, 09:10 AM,
(16-06-2011, 02:51 PM)Sweder Wrote: My right knee seems particularly reluctant to embrace these outings, creaking and groaning like Cyril Smith's kitchen table.

I had to Google Cyril Smith to see who he was ... all I can say is "oh dear" Confused

(16-06-2011, 02:51 PM)Sweder Wrote: I'll have to watch that. The lack of sure footing means the Vibrams have been tucked away for a while so I may have reverted to old-style heavy foot slapping/ heel striking.

Er ... interesting choice of words given the reference to said Mr. Smith... Dodgy

As far as your right knee is concerned, ibuprofen, glucosamine and Guinness has to be my considered and proven prescription, sir. Do try it, won't you? Oh, and maybe strapping would help... and no, I'm not referring to Cyril Smith. Blush
Run. Just run.
22-06-2011, 10:33 AM,
Glucosamine, ibuprofen and Guinness
sounds a most interesting and appetizing cocktail, might try it myself. Good to hear you are getting out there Sweder, can we have some more pics of your growing hounds.
Phew this is hard work !
22-06-2011, 12:03 PM,
(22-06-2011, 10:33 AM)stillwaddler Wrote: can we have some more pics of your growing hounds.

Yes. GIG. An interesting and topical acronym, n'est pas?
One hopes the side effects don't involve sleeping with ones inlaws. That could be most unpleasant.

I managed a modest plod with the monsters this morning. They're getting very interested in rabbits these days though mercifully no closer to making contact.

Just for you here's a couple of the latest snapshots and a videolink.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June 2017 Sweder 3 1,678 15-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Last Post: twittenkitten
  There Is No June Sweder 8 4,905 22-06-2016, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  June 2014 Sweder 32 18,180 30-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Last Post: glaconman
Bug June 2013 Sweder 15 9,111 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Last Post: glaconman