Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rest of 2010 - between marathons
28-09-2010, 07:46 AM,
RE: The rest of 2010 - between marathons
(27-09-2010, 08:32 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(27-09-2010, 08:02 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: ... so you'd be on target for about a 3h30 marathon, yes? Maybe better?!
I'm far happier to sit in the "competent fun runner" category. Big Grin

I think you're comfortably out of the 'fun runner' zone MD (although there's no reason not to have fun at your level). Sub 45 10K is entering a different realm. I've run the Dorney course and can attest to the brutality of ther headwind. How is it that headwinds hit us like someone thwapping us with a sheet of thin plywood yet we can't ever feel the (undeniable) benefit of the tailwind? Curious.

The rising temperature gauge on the turn-around resonates with me. You can be almost numb with col running into the win yet if the sun's out as soon as you turn 'whoosh!' up to regulo 3 and Lord, here comes the flood.

Terrific work Dan. I'm convinced you can achieve 3:30 (ish) for the big one without an unduly punitive/ socially crippling training schedule. The key is the intensity of the long runs - I reckon 2 or 3 good sessions in the week, Fartlek, hill reps and a recovery run - plus improving time/ distance work on the long runs will get you there. Rest (and minimal muscle injury) is as important as tough sessions.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-10-2010, 11:51 AM,
(27-09-2010, 12:10 PM)glaconman Wrote: This can land you in deep water if you don't have the miles in your legs.

Interesting point (with which I agree). Over 10K , for me the lungs are definitely the limiting factor. I experienced hardly any soreness in the days after the race, despite my post-run stretching being limited to a brisk walk back to the car. For a half marathon, particularly over hilly terrain, it's more likely to be the other way round. At longer distances, the third factor of general fatigue comes into play.

Indeed, maybe 10 miles would be a good compromise, where both factors are closely balanced.
29-10-2010, 10:28 PM,
Not much doing here. Took a jog into town this morning, ran back (uphill) with a large pumpkin on my back. Threw in a few veggies for Sunday lunch as well. I've had some chafing issues in my time, but never been dug in the ribs by a carrot. Maybe that's a fancy dress idea for another day.

Planning on taking it relatively easy for November, then before I know it December will be here -- marathon warmup month, and the whole annual malarkey starts again.

Toodle pip.
18-11-2010, 10:20 PM,
Have just signed up for Janathon. I don't think I'll manage to run every day for a month (nor do I really want to), but at least I will be into proper training by then. It will be a creative challenge to at least exercise every day for a month. Although I may resort to counting "toddler raises".

19-11-2010, 09:14 PM,
(18-11-2010, 10:20 PM)marathondan Wrote: Have just signed up for Janathon. I don't think I'll manage to run every day for a month (nor do I really want to), but at least I will be into proper training by then.

I think the "blog every day" part of it sounds harder than the exercise, MD. Best of luck with that! "Run every day" for me would have to include running for the train to have any chance of completing a whole month, and even then... Undecided
Run. Just run.
21-11-2010, 03:17 PM,
(19-11-2010, 09:14 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(18-11-2010, 10:20 PM)marathondan Wrote: Have just signed up for Janathon. I don't think I'll manage to run every day for a month (nor do I really want to), but at least I will be into proper training by then.

I think the "blog every day" part of it sounds harder than the exercise, MD. Best of luck with that! "Run every day" for me would have to include running for the train to have any chance of completing a whole month, and even then... Undecided

It sounds fantastic, Dan. It is a good way to be motivated. Besides, you can do a different exercise every day such as swimming, cycling, walking, etc.

Best of luck!

21-11-2010, 05:12 PM,
Looks like fun Dan - but I'm not tempted Big Grin

It will be interesting reading your blog everyday.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rest of 2011 - between marathons marathondan 73 80,106 28-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Post-London: the rest of 2009 marathondan 41 36,202 28-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Last Post: marathondan