Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rest of 2010 - between marathons
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM,
The rest of 2010 - between marathons
Hereafter the jottings of anything that might happen between now and the start of training for my next marathon.

Last week I managed to at least get something on the board for May and avoid a totally barren month. Five miles along my “summer” farm-track circuit, the first proper outing since the marathon, a 6 week lay-off. I’ve been doing this long enough now to expect the worst, and true to form the lungs were shrivelled and the legs leaden. But it was a worthwhile effort to get the ball rolling again. 3 mins slower than the same route only a couple of months ago.

Also Luke (7) and Naomi (4) dragged me out for a trot round the block. L covered a mile comfortably in around 17 mins, with N and I getting home closer to 20. We might all do a fun run together later in the year.

Attached Files
.txt   marathondan.txt (Size: 9.47 KB / Downloads: 1)
01-06-2010, 10:14 PM,
RE: The rest of 2010 - between marathons
(01-06-2010, 09:10 AM)marathondan Wrote: Also Luke (7) and Naomi (4) dragged me out for a trot round the block. L covered a mile comfortably in around 17 mins, with N and I getting home closer to 20. We might all do a fun run together later in the year.

Excellent. Well done Luke, Naomi and dad. From little acorns...
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-07-2010, 08:48 PM by marathondan.)
I'd been thinking about posting a little update but hadn't got around to it. But when Bagpuss wakes up, all his friends wake up too. So here we are with a little update.

I’ve fallen into the usual post-marathon slump – understandable, not only because of the mental and physical recovery needed, but also because there is always a slew of activities on the calendar in May. So really June becomes the recovery month, and here we are in July, already well past the summer solstice and the nights are drawing in.

I narrowly avoided a duck for both May and June, banking a solitary run in the last days of each month, and then finally started to build some momentum with a second outing in the first week of July.

I’m in the delightful position of having two months off work. My current project has wound down to almost nothing and so I’ve elected to start my new position in September when the kids go back to school. So three weeks of DIY, a week in Brittany and then 4 weeks of being super-soaker’d in the garden. I can’t ask for much more than that from life.

One nice touch is that I get a few weeks of doing the school run, in the nice weather. Monday morning we set off for Naomi’s pre-school; as we went out the door I was heading for the pushchair but Emma said “Back!”, indicating the Karrimor papoose hanging in the hall. I loaded her up and we walked the quarter mile or so to the church hall. I noticed that the straps seemed unevenly adjusted but thought little of it; big girl deposited we walked home with little girl on foot and I casually optimized the straps for next time.

Monday afternoon I was off to the builder’s merchants to pick up a load of 4x2s, before commencing boarding the loft. Nothing like a trip to the builder’s merchants to make you feel manly. The timber was duly loaded, unloaded, carried upstairs and into the loft. A corner of the loft was cleared and I was all set to start the next day. I was even considering waking the kids up by hammering above their heads at 7 am.

The old back felt a bit twingy Monday night – not unusual for a gangly, poor-postured oaf such as myself. Tuesday morning it was very bad. Loft work was not an option. It took several minutes to stand up straight, so to save time I was hobbling about bent double. Tuesday night I noticed that I was unable to straighten my spine in the left / right plane. The missus mentioned slipped discs. Paranoia set in.

Weds morning I drove to the doc’s, back spasming every time I braked. He reassured me that it was nothing serious, prescribed anti-inflammatories and heavy duty painkillers, and sent me hobbling on my way.

The drugs were amazing (man). Within 24 hours I was moving around normally, with only minor discomfort. It feels a bit sore if I do anything much (this morning I stretched to putting up a curtain track, slowly) but the improvement is amazing. Hopefully early next week I’ll be ready for a bit of a run. Nothing like half an hour of heel-strikes to settle the vertebrae Smile.

One great annoyance is that in a couple of weeks time I’d been planning to take the kids to the fun run attached to the Wycombe 10K. Luke would run on his own, Naomi would trot along with me and I would walk with Emma on my back, in the now dreaded Karrimor. What a cute finish photo it would be, with us all in our race numbers. But I can’t risk it, even with the straps properly adjusted.

It’s also a timely reminder that my back won’t stand for any heavy fancy dress in next year’s marathon. I again want to step up the level a bit, but anything with serious weight is out. If anyone has any ideas for great outfits between now and the end of the year, do let me know!

As for any other races – I really can’t see any point in doing any summer events. My last two fair-weather efforts have been hot, unpleasant slogs. Much better to embrace the light evenings (or even mornings) with some quality audio and just get some good miles in the bank. Maybe I should see what’s around in September, when things start to cool off a little. Before I know it, it will be time to not run the Marlow and Henley halfs, and then it’ll be marathon training time all over again…

Oh yeah – finally got around to updating my Le Jog - I thought I’d head towards my in-laws in Brum; 314.2 miles for the year took me EXACTLY to their door. Spooky.

But don't tell them I called them that.
19-07-2010, 08:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-07-2010, 08:49 PM by marathondan.)
Lofty ambitions, and a race report (sort of)
Back fully repaired, I took the kids to the fun run part of the Wycombe 10K / half marathon, the latter of which I ran a couple of years ago. But there was no way I was risking the back carrier again, so I borrowed a three-wheeler stroller for Emma. The route was 1.5 miles around the perimeter of the large park that houses the facilities for the main race. We lined up at the back of a field of 100 or so. Luke adopted a cautious race strategy, opting to start slowly with Naomi and me. Naomi meanwhile went for more of a sprint / walk style, the repeated change of pace causing Emma delight.

It turned out that it was all a bit much for a 4 year old, so with Luke now some way off in the distance, Naomi and I took a bit of a short cut around the mile mark. We saw Luke put on a nice sprint for the last 50m or so; he must have finished in somewhere around 20 minutes. We ducked under the tape onto the home straight and managed a sprint finish, where the announcer hilariously quipped that he thought I was the winner of the 10K. I guess it’s the only time that will ever happen.

Bouncy castle and ice cream ensued. (These should be available after all events, I feel.) Goody bags were devoured and medals cherished. As seems often the case with kids, they only seemed to remember the good bits. (Actually that applies to most runners, doesn’t it?)

It was a bit strange and sad not to be taking part in either main event. It’s a year since I last took part in a non-mega running event, and I felt a bit of a hankering. I see no point in flogging myself round a course in the height of summer, so maybe I’ll enter an event in September, when things are cooling off a little. Maybe it’s time for a 10K, with some proper training while I have some time.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there has been no running. With the back now in good shape I returned to the loft, whereupon to date I have laid 96m of joists, 60 chipboard panels and somewhere over 200m of lagging. And it’s not finished yet.

But it’s made it all too clear why running tends to be a middle-class hobby: I’m getting all my endorphin hits from my daily work, and there’s no surplus energy to be burned off at the end of the day. It’s quite a contrast from my normal sedentary routine as a PC jockey.

The gorilla suit training has actually come in pretty handy though – for working in the hottest room in the house in mask, gloves and long-sleeved top. It brings back such happy memories.

So… hopefully I’ll be allowed down from the loft by the end of the week. Then I might get a bit of running in.

20-07-2010, 02:38 PM,
Did you actually try wearing the gorilla suit for laying the insulation? Would have been wortha photo if you had;-) Hope they let you down stairs again soon.
A 10k seems like a good idea, but i agree its the wrong time of the year for long runs, probably why I never fancy doing an early autumn marathon, even the thought of having to slog through the long training runs in any sort of heat is unbearable.
Phew this is hard work !
24-07-2010, 07:38 PM,
Just entered a 10K at Dorney Lake in late Sept. Two laps of the Olympic rowing lake -- just about the flattest (and some would say dullest) course there is.

Right, just off to devise a 10K training plan. It'll make a bit of a change from the last couple of years. For some reason I have a hankering to do some hill reps. I'm sure that idea will wear off pretty quickly.
24-07-2010, 09:41 PM,
Ah! Just back from me first training run. It's nice that I can call 3 miles at easy pace a planned training run.

I've had a bit of a stiff knee for a few days from kneeling on bare joists, but it seemed fine, and if anything has loosened up a bit.

It must be at least 6 years since I've actively trained for anything shorter than a half marathon. I'll go as far as to say that I'm briefly enthused.
25-07-2010, 12:21 AM,
Yay! Well done, sir. Thumb
Run. Just run.
25-07-2010, 06:05 PM,
Good on ya Dan. I'm sure these shorter runs will make a welcome change from the long stuff. And they should be easier to fit in around family life. You certainly look the part of a 5/10k runner.

I did an even shorter training run this aft at 2.6 miles; but it felt longer Scared
25-07-2010, 07:01 PM,
(25-07-2010, 06:05 PM)glaconman Wrote: Good on ya Dan. I'm sure these shorter runs will make a welcome change from the long stuff. And they should be easier to fit in around family life. You certainly look the part of a 5/10k runner.

However, at over 200 lbs I think I'm in what Hal Higdon calls the "Clydesdale" class.

(25-07-2010, 06:05 PM)glaconman Wrote: I did an even shorter training run this aft at 2.6 miles; but it felt longer Scared

That would be the "2.6 miles 900' of climb"? Redface
25-07-2010, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-07-2010, 11:32 PM by Sweder.)
(24-07-2010, 07:38 PM)marathondan Wrote: Just entered a 10K at Dorney Lake in late Sept. Two laps of the Olympic rowing lake -- just about the flattest (and some would say dullest) course there is.

Would that be the Dorney Dash Dan?
The very same that myself & Niguel accompanied our inglorious leader on the 50th anniversary of his arrival on Earth? Yep, it's damned flat and pretty dull, but worth a flog round if you like contemporary medals.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-07-2010, 10:44 PM,
No, not the Dorney Dash per se. Every fitness company in the home counties seems to be jumping on the 10K bangwagon at Dorney these days. Lots of... unconventional race organisation. I've run one before, and recorded a PB (after adjustment for the newbie organisers mis-measuring the course).

My favourite memories of 10K running are of the Regents Park winter 10K series in, ooh, probably 2003/4 (I think I made it to 4 out of the 6 meets). Flat, simple, and traffic-free. Dorney isn't a million miles away from that vibe.
26-07-2010, 11:35 PM,
(26-07-2010, 10:44 PM)marathondan Wrote: My favourite memories of 10K running are ...

Nope, ya lost me Huh

27-07-2010, 07:21 PM,
A more innocent age, before I discovered real long-distance running...
28-07-2010, 07:44 PM,
10K training - week 1
Out at 6.45 this morning for a spot of urban hill work. The nearest hill to me is the road that runs from the A4 down to the town station. So I hopped on my bike and, having tethered the rusty steed in Folly Way, proceeded to run up and down (actually down and up) the hill 4 times, dodging the commuters. Distance-wise each climb is about 450m, but I'm disappointed to see that MapMyRun only reckons it's 19m of climb. I'm not sure if I believe that or not. The height of a 6-storey building? I'll take another look next time.

Anyway, it felt quite a lot more. Each climb came in around 2:15-2:20. It wasn't particularly pleasant, but recovery was quick and I should be able to improve, both in terms of effort level and the number of reps. The mile or so cycle ride either end provided a handy warmup and cooldown as well.

No doubt I'll feel some aches and pains later after stressing hamstrings and glutes in new and unusual ways. I always find it's worse on the second day after. Which is Friday, when I'm driving to France.
29-07-2010, 02:37 PM,
RE: 10K training - week 1
(28-07-2010, 07:44 PM)marathondan Wrote: Out at 6.45 this morning for a spot of urban hill work.

Good stuff Dan. I'm planning an evening sortie into the western hills to chase the sun over the horizon. I love the feeling of the Earth cooling as the light fades, leaving me to scamper home in the near-dark.

I'm starting to get the run-lust again. It's a good feeling.

09-08-2010, 08:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM by marathondan.)
Into August
Just back from a week in France. Once I discovered that the Breton diet consists of pancakes for main course and dessert, washed down with local cider, the calorie balance for the week was doomed.

I managed three relatively feeble plods, the best of which was a sunset semi-thrash along a dusty, twisty ocean-side path. The untamed Atlantic is an awesome sight and no mistake. When the human interlopers have gone home for the day, it seems to regain even more elemental might.

I also managed a spot of cross-training in the form of an hour's sea kayaking (including, ahem, 5 minutes swimming). Great fun, must try it again sometime.

Only three runs logged for July, but another 3 already on the board this month. This is week 3 of my planned 9 week 10K training programme. Time for more hill reps tomorrow morning, methinks.
09-08-2010, 09:07 PM,
Kayaking! God I miss it... I've not been kayaking for the last few months (since the cold, wet weather set in, basically)... would love to get back on the water. Kayaking and running is a good combo.

Good to see you back out there, Dan.
Run. Just run.
09-08-2010, 10:30 PM,
I thought that might pique your interest MLCM!

Now wondering whether a spot of regular kayaking on the Thames would be the ideal cross training. I think you said you have a sea kayak? (= sit on top?) That sounds like a sensible option for the beginner - no need to worry about rolling techniques and so on. My local watersports centre is offering tuition on "proper" kayaks - sufficient classes to paddle on rivers would set me back £320.
10-08-2010, 02:32 PM,
Out before breakfast this morning for another 5 urban hill reps, dodging the bemused commuters. With overnight rain cooling the tarmac, and a hint of fine drizzle still in the air, conditions were ideal. I dug deep on the last rep, and very pleasingly managed to get my PB down to 2:04. Hill work still feels unnatural, but I can imagine that I could start to appreciate it. It's a contest between legs and lungs to see which gives up first; currently it seems to be the aspiration system that's the limiting factor.

Next: tempo run incorporating a mile at 45 min 10K pace.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rest of 2011 - between marathons marathondan 73 80,068 28-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Post-London: the rest of 2009 marathondan 41 36,170 28-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Last Post: marathondan