Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A way with words
04-01-2010, 09:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM by The Beast of Bevendean.)
A way with words
I am pleased to see that a former runner, now a Tory peer, Lord Olympics himself, has had the honour of winning one of Lucy Kellaway's 2009 Guff awards.
Ms Kellaway, who savages management-speak and dotty business fads unmercifully in her column in the Financial Times, has awarded Sebastian Coe her mixed metaphor award for the following from his autobiography:
“There are times when there is a need to dig deep and find another gear – while never losing sight of the bigger picture.”
On occasion when watching other runners I have urged them to dig deep. I see now that this was insufficient encouragement. In future I shall call out to them, 'dig deep, find another gear and keep the bigger picture in mind'. That will spur them on like anything.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

04-01-2010, 10:17 PM,
RE: A way with words
Ha! Excellent.

You might have noticed one of my tweets last night on a related subject. I swear I heard over-excitable darts commentator Sid Waddell squawk during the darts final: "He's walking a tightrope made of lard!"
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.