RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: A way with words
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am pleased to see that a former runner, now a Tory peer, Lord Olympics himself, has had the honour of winning one of Lucy Kellaway's 2009 Guff awards.
Ms Kellaway, who savages management-speak and dotty business fads unmercifully in her column in the Financial Times, has awarded Sebastian Coe her mixed metaphor award for the following from his autobiography:
“There are times when there is a need to dig deep and find another gear – while never losing sight of the bigger picture.”
On occasion when watching other runners I have urged them to dig deep. I see now that this was insufficient encouragement. In future I shall call out to them, 'dig deep, find another gear and keep the bigger picture in mind'. That will spur them on like anything.
Ha! Excellent.

You might have noticed one of my tweets last night on a related subject. I swear I heard over-excitable darts commentator Sid Waddell squawk during the darts final: "He's walking a tightrope made of lard!"