Running Clubs
30-10-2003, 10:26 AM,
Running Clubs
Andy,

very interesting about joining a running club. When I did my first marathon I went to Berlin with some people from the Serpies who were very friendly (I had a friend who was a member). I've always been impressed with their website, and the fact that because of such a large membership, they can run a number of different training groups depending on speed, so no one should feel out of their depth.

I really recommend joining a club, because it really does (certainly in my case) improve your speed and motivation. I also found that there are a lot more races going on than just the ones I had seen in Runners' World, particularly trail races.

As to the game, the match report I read said that QPR played well, and the overall scoreline didn't reflect the balance of play. I also believe that our first goal was somewhat lucky/dodgy (one of those decisions that if its for your team your manager tries to justify, its against your team the manager screams blue murder). We've got Spurs in the next round, which should be a good game.

I agree about football as a whole. There have been some major changes which have improved the game no end. Certainly stadium facilities are much better (unless you're an away fan at Stamford Bridge in which case you're crammed in one section with a tiny toilet). However the romantic in me can't help to hark back to the days of justing turning up at Maine Road on a Saturday and paying a £5 to stand on the Kippax, and having matches played on a Saturday at 3.

When we plummeted like a stone through the leagues, in a bizarre masochistic way, it was fun. Going to new grounds, the bleak deadpan humour when we lost to Bury, all made for an entertaining time. Of course I appreciate its easy to say this now, as we seem to be doing alright at the moment, but part of me is still worried that we'll do a Leeds.

By the way I went to Chelsea-City at the weekend and paid the grand sum of £42, and despite all the millions spent on Chelsea, I really didn't feel that they were appreciably better than us.
Cheers
Parky
30-10-2003, 10:42 AM,
Running Clubs
Thanks Parky. I'm working from home today, so have the opportunity of joining up with this small local group I mentioned. Only thing is, it's such a beautiful day out there now, ideal for a run, whereas it will be dark and chilly this evening at 7pm when they meet.

Give me some advice. Should I go out on my own now, on this glorious autumn morning? Or should I wait till this evening when I can run with other people for the first time? Please make a decision for me.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on Chelsea, or on the fans at least. I don't suppose there's a whole lot they could do about it even if they wanted to. Let's face it, we'd all accept a handout, but it just seems dreadful to me that my own club is in a state of crisis because it has to repay a £10m loan over the next 10 years, and can't afford the interest payments, while some clubs pay double this entire amount on one player who then sits in the reserves. But don't get me started again.....!

We gave City a good game, and in fact matched them all the way, except that we had no firepower at all. It was tough for our young defence to play against Anelka, Fowler, Wright-Phillips and Sinclair, but they coped really well. The difference was finishing. City had 4 good chances, and scored 3 of them. We missed all of ours. Wright-Phillips stood out as very sharp, and Sinclair was polished, but Anelka seemed bored and Fowler? What's happened to Robbie Fowler?

But anyway, I hope you do well. I lived in Manchester for 4 years as a student, and used to go to Maine Rd quite often, so I can relate to the "turn up and pay to stand on the Kippax" sentiment. Saw many a game from there in the early 80s.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-10-2003, 11:23 AM,
Running Clubs
well done Andy, on your decision on joining a running club, i do really think they benefit you lots, and also you get the social side of things as well, although this is not neccesarily a good thing!

When i started running 5 years ago, i did the 1st year on my own training for the manchester marathon, which i achieved in as good a standard as possible. I then joined Horsham joggers (where i lived then) and was a bit apprehensive at going and meeting new people (scary thought) but once i went it opened up a new world of running routes and the social side of things!

Although injuries over the last 2 years, have not permitted me to get to the club hardly at all for the training, i still felt a part of it, and loved the encouragement from other team members when at races etc!!

So good on you for taken the decision to go!
I am sure you won't forget it....and you will be glad you did!
30-10-2003, 11:25 AM,
Running Clubs
Got to admit, if you can run during the day I'd do that. I find running in the evening a bit awkward some times as I seem to have really poor night vision and take a little torch with me to the bemusement of my club mates. This stems from my first visit to the club running through the park in Chelmsford, the light illuminating a bridge over the small stream was broken, and in trying to keep an eye on where the group I was with was going, I ran into the side of the bridge!

I should point out that I am a bit of a klutz, as theres always a bit of a stumble, falling off kerbs that sort of thing.

Go to the club on an evening when you couldn't get out on a warm lovely autumn day.
Cheers
Parky
30-10-2003, 11:26 AM,
Running Clubs
But Gary, what's the answer to the question: do I go out now in the beautiful autumnal sunshine? Or do I wait till this evening and meet up with these other runners in the dark...?
El Gordo

30-10-2003, 11:28 AM,
Running Clubs
OK, I'll go now...

Thanks.
El Gordo

30-10-2003, 11:29 AM,
Running Clubs
sorry.....forgot that was the main part of your post!!

I would wait and go out tonight, and save your energy for your first run with new found friends....there will be plenty more nice autumnly days (maybe?)............
30-10-2003, 11:32 AM,
Running Clubs
Oh no!

What now??
El Gordo

30-10-2003, 11:33 AM,
Running Clubs
Ha Ha!
Toss a coin maybe!?
30-10-2003, 11:35 AM,
Running Clubs
OK, I tossed a coin, and am going out now.

Sorry for the delay but I had to toss it 27 times before I got the right result....

Andy
El Gordo

30-10-2003, 11:44 AM,
Running Clubs
LOL!
Have a good one!.......does look lovely, looking out the window at Concrete Croydon!
30-10-2003, 02:49 PM,
Running Clubs
Andy.... STOPPPPPPPPPPPP!! Just got home to Yate and there's rain heading your way from here. If I'm too late to stop you, then have a kip this afternoon, bake some bread (must get your recipe cos I've been a total failure with my breadmaker), drip some honey on it about 5pm and go out with the club tonight.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on club running since I too am trying to pluck up the courage to join a club. When at the Bristol Half, I saw about 40 "Hogweed Trotters" posing for a team photo and then discovered that they are on my doorstep (Chipping Sodbury) and I didn't know. Having looked at the results they turned in, I would certainly be able to find my "level" with them.

They run one evening and on Sunday mornings, so, when the rugby has finished (or England's progress), I think I'll join in.

Cheers
Griff
30-10-2003, 03:02 PM,
Running Clubs
Too late, old chap. I went out and did 5 miles at lunchtime while the sun was still glimmering.

I'm definitely going to try some club running but I'm in this conundrum where I think I'd like to get a bit faster/lose a few more pounds before I do, and yet it's in order to be able to do those things that I want to join a club in the first place....

The local small group say they run about 5 miles at 10 min mile pace which is just a shade faster than normal for me (currently around 10:15 - 10:30). I'm tempted to wait a bit, or join one of the larger clubs first where I may be less conspicuous.

There are a couple of running clubs round Yate way. I wonder if the Hogweeds are new? They don't ring a bell. I used to occasionally jog round the track at that sports centre next to the school, and I seem to remember seeing a poster up there saying that certain local running clubs have the track booked on certain nights. There was one group called the Chipping Sodbury [Somethings], and another lot called (I think) the Yate Road Runners or similar. I never joined either.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences if you do join. I'm sure it's a positive step forward.

Andy
El Gordo

31-10-2003, 12:50 AM,
Running Clubs
According to their website, http://www.hogweedtrotters.co.uk, they have been around since November 2000 which would coincide with your stay in the area.

Can't say I've heard of the others you mentioned though. I'll keep you posted when I join.
31-10-2003, 10:43 AM,
Running Clubs
Can't say I've felt the urge to join a club as yet - I like the freedom running on the days which best suit me gives. I'd feel a bit tied to a timetable if I joined a club, although I do like the thought of the social side of things.

My local club meets at 7 pm, which doesn't really give me much time as I often don't get home until 6:30, which would mean a mad dash to get there on time. However, I do ponder the possibility every so often ...

Have to agree with Parky about running in the dark. My night vision is quite good but last night's run was like an ostacle course! The street lamps were out for a complete section of my usual route (the darkest bit, of course) and with the slippery wet leaves just waiting to bring me down I had to negotiate that part very, very cautiously. The wet leaves also sat in a layer on top of the puddles, disguising their existence like some kind of miltary booby-trap. On several occasions I got a foot full of water. This, coupled with the fact that I had to run in an old sweatshirt as I'd left my lightweight fleece at my mum's, made for a pretty unpleasant 5 miles, all things considered. I left the HR monitor at home as I didn't want to have to be slowed in that weather, and ended up running at just about half-marathon pace, so a good tempo work-out.

However, I felt a certain amount of lower-leg stiffness and discomfort, which leads me to suspect that everyone's right and to build mileage safely I can only really afford to do one faster-paced run per week - or even per fortnight. Pushing too hard is making me tired and achey ... perhaps there is something to be said for this base training lark after all (although I still refuse to have to walk!)
31-10-2003, 01:03 PM,
Running Clubs
Hi Debbie

I'm not much use advising you what sort of training to do, but on the subject of your lower leg stiffness today, do bear in mind that this may be a result of your very cautious run last night. I've often found when I run in the dark, or when it's slippery underfoot, I run in a different way. For one thing I tend to lift my feet higher to avoid tripping over unseen obstacles. In snow or other slippery conditions, I run more... gingerly' and am more conscious of where I'm putting my feet. As a result, I often get unfamiliar aches and pains. This may have nothing to do with it, but thought I'd mention it, in case you're worrying unduly.

Andy
El Gordo

31-10-2003, 01:03 PM,
Running Clubs
I agree Debbie. I prefer to run on days which suit me, not some rigid timetable.....although I'm sure it aids discipline. What I also dislike about the running club groups that I see when I'm out, is that they are always chatting to each other! The mp3 on or alone with my thoughts is what I prefer.

By coincidence, a couple of years ago, before I took up running my son, who was then 9 expressed an interest so I took him along. They meet at 7pm at the local sports centre (too early for me also), yet they never emerged before about 7.30 as they again, were milling around chatting.

Perhaps I'm just an anti-social saddo!
31-10-2003, 02:19 PM,
Running Clubs
Hmmm. Whooooah!

Joining a club doesn't mean you can't just carry on as normal. It just provides another option, I'd have thought. 6 days out of 7, or even 30 out of 31 can remain the same as ever, but once in a while you have the chance to run with others, or get some advice on training, or get the chance to do speed sessions on a track (if that's your desire), or take part in Sunday social events like a run followed by Sunday lunch in a pub, or just feel a bit more motivated. I don't know for sure as I'm not in a club, but I can't see any downside to be honest. Even if you never turn up to any events at all, the reduction in the cost of entering races, and the discounts on gear from local running shops would pay for the joining fee several times over I'd have thought.

But quite honestly, I'm as unsociable as the next person in the main...

Ha ha!

Andy
El Gordo

31-10-2003, 03:23 PM,
Running Clubs
Quote:Originally posted by andy
................But quite honestly, I'm as unsociable as the next person in the main...

Andy

Well that's alright then.... Smile
01-11-2003, 10:03 AM,
Running Clubs
Quote:Originally posted by andy

But quite honestly, I'm as unsociable as the next person in the main...

I can't believe that, Andy. Reading your drinking exploits has painted a picture of a most convivial chap.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,810 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
Thumbs Up Running and the mind Seanmacrook 3 3,826 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Seanmacrook
  Running documentary (young fit and dying) Seanmacrook 5 6,717 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM
  Running Shoes in the Washing Machine Seafront Plodder 15 9,930 13-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Scott Jurek follows the Running Commentary Way marathondan 6 14,524 14-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Pythonesque running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 11,602 27-10-2011, 09:35 PM
  Sad story about fell running old-timer El Gordo 1 9,705 09-10-2011, 07:57 PM
  Magnificent article on barefoot running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 7 13,786 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
  Help ! Running clubs in the Vera, Huercal, Garrucha Mojacar area PhilD 1 13,301 28-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  On the dangers of running The Beast of Bevendean 2 12,329 25-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Sweder