Percy Pud 10k (Sheffield)
30-11-2003, 08:50 PM,
Percy Pud Race Report

I've had to wait long time to run this race, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from the Pantomime Camel that is, but more of him later! The plan was to aim for 52-30 or there abouts which meant kilometres in 5-15 which I felt should have been attainable if I kept up the concentration. Today I was going to kick some 'buts'. Today I was going for a top 700 finish!

The weather was perfect this morning, after yesterdays wind and rain it was a pleasant surprise. I still get excited about being part of an event like this with so many like minded people.

The course runs its way along the Loxley Valley and follows the road around the Damflask Reservoir to Bradfield and the turnaround at the Plough Inn, which is tempting for a swift half but not on this occasion. The route returns the same way with the bonus of downhill section to the finish. It really is a lovely neck of the woods.

The excitement built as we were ushered along to the start and after a short pause we were off, I didn't hear the gun go being so near the back, but remembered to start my watch as I crossed the line. There was a bit of congestion at the start and probably started too near the back and ended up weaving about for the first K. Its amazing to see this ribbon of runners extending into the distance. I felt good today.

I slowly started to pick off a few runners, only 800 ...after the first couple of K's I was getting anxious about starting too fast, but I felt good so went with it. My concentration was abruptly broken by a couple of runners in a Pantomime Camel costume who were on the return leg, about 2k in front of me....they were flying, how the guy at the back could see where he was going beggars belief.

I was able to keep the pace up for most of the race which I was pleased about, and managed the customary ridiculous sprint for the line at the end, if anyone there knew me, apologies. It must look embarrassing. I managed to get home in 50-24 missing out on a PB by 45 seconds, I was well pleased, If I could shift some of this lard around my body who knows! ( I might wait until I've enjoyed the Xmas pud tho.)

1. 4.58 eek!
2. 4.54 eeeeeeek!
3. 4.51
4. 5.21
5. 4.56
6. 4.40
7. 4.59
8. 6.07 Boooo!
9. 5.23
10. 4.10 (50.24)

Chris.
04-12-2003, 10:18 AM,
Well done on the race, and thanks for the fine report, Chris. Sounds like a very scenic course.

Presumably the vivid colours of your paintings http://www.themulberrytreeuk.com are at least in part inspired by the red mist of a Pollard sprint finish ? The inspirational light of your landscapes is surely just made for a geologist's study wall..... so should it be the Timex or a mountain dawn for Christmas, then ?

You ran an excellent time, too. I am working on a sub-50 10k, so far without success (or any enthusiasm). The problem is that I was really spooked by my one 10k experience at Stubbington last January. Confidently expected all those fast starters roaring ahead of me to crash and burn so I could pick off their gasping carcasses in the closing km. Instead, I just never saw them again as they left me for dust. Virtually vomited my way home in 52:59.

The trouble is, that people who run 10k seem to be able to really run, and run fast. For a largely one-paced but fairly dogged runner like me, it was back to the 'second last round the school playing fields' feeling. I haven't risked another 10k since.

And yet, crazily, I have bettered that 10k PB in the last three half marathons I have run. Now how did I manage that ?!
04-12-2003, 04:48 PM,
Nigel,

Thanks for your comments. I was especially pleased to do this run, its my local and the majority of the route is based around some of my training runs. I've also managed to miss the last couple of races I have entered, GNR ('99) with a cold and the Sheffield half with a knee injury('00) so its been three years trying to shake off my knee, literally.

Um, sounds like you have the endurance to do better in a 10k, maybe a bit of speed work might help. Not that I do any apart from the odd tempo run. You might have just had a bad day last time round. If I can clock 49 mins anyone can.

Now, Christmas presents. So you're thinking of one of my moody, inspiration, original landscape paintings which might remind you some romantic holiday, to lift your spirits on a dark winters day? or a Timex?

Get real! You are a runner aren't you? Get the Timex, leave the paintings for girls!

Chris
04-12-2003, 09:35 PM,
Thanks for the enjoyable report, Pollard. Sorry, I must have missed it while I was away.

Well done on your time which might be slightly disappointing to you, but is faster than I'll ever manage. My one consolation is that your 8th kilometre was slower than my fastest 10K kilometre. I'm sure I can find this a cause for optimism if I dwell on it long enough.

But seriously, it must be great to get back to competitive running after the long lay-off. Even when you're as hopeless as me, races are always treats after all that solitary plodding.

So, what's your next target....?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-12-2003, 09:52 PM,
Quote:Originally posted by Pollard
If I can clock 49 mins anyone can.

Chris - STOP. I'm going to hurt myself rolling around the floor laughing so hard.

Although I suppose you're right. I can clock 49 minutes. I'd just have to only run about 4.5 miles.

Nice report. Congrats on not stopping at the pub. Smile
04-12-2003, 09:59 PM,
Yes, I was a bit surprised at that bit about not stopping for a couple of pints. Isn't this what everyone does around the halfway point of a race?

Gulp. Or is the mistake I've been making all along.....?
El Gordo

04-12-2003, 11:11 PM,
If i can...

Look. I'm 41, 15+st what's your excuse?

Only kidding, i think consistency is the key and not letting little niggles get the better of me. You can do it, there are no secrets to it.

Chris.
04-12-2003, 11:15 PM,
"I'm even older and fatter than you", is my excuse. But not a very good one, and I take your point.

Mind you, it just makes your time even more impressive. I thought you must be some 10 stone, 23 year old whippet...
El Gordo

05-12-2003, 12:46 AM,
Hmm. I'm female and therefore slower, only 3 years younger, I've only been running for 17 months and I'm 15+ st too. I'm sure it's all muscle...

You were hoping Andy? I was praying he was Paula in disguise.
05-12-2003, 04:10 PM,
enough already!

Andy, just ask me my marathon time, go on i dare you?

None. I'd rather have done London and Chicago than run a 50 min 10k.

Liz you keep up the good work.
05-12-2003, 04:11 PM,
10 stone, 23 year old whippet...

My wife wishes i was.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brighton 10K, November 19 2006 El Gordo 19 9,364 19-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Brighton 10K, Sunday November 20 El Gordo 5 2,186 11-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Hogweed Trot 10K Griff 1 1,574 24-05-2004, 10:28 PM