Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It hadn’t really crossed my mind until she said it.
13-02-2004, 02:25 PM,
…..but Mrs SP reminded me this morning that I’ve either run or cross-trained (that’d be tennis Big Grin ) for the last 5 days in succession.

I must confess to feeling a little shagged out, but had put it down the late night I had on Tuesday playing on SP jnr’s PS2!

Another 6 mile lap of the town on Wednesday culminating in the climb that my training partner and I have affectionately named “Cardiac Hill” The run was definitely faster and we reckoned it to me around 54 minutes Eek with noticeably less spit-flailing up Cardiac Hill too.Wink

Nothing for me now except wild evenings of beer and curries (well that’s tonight sorted), and rest until the 13 mile training run on Sunday. The new shoes have helped the lower back pain I’d been having, but not eradicated it completely, so if I finish Sunday’s run in one piece I’ll be running the Brighton ½ the following week, if not………….then I’ll probably still do it anyway. Rolleyes
17-02-2004, 01:53 PM,
Of knowing that I have finally managed to crank up the weekly long run to 13 miles. The Brighton ½ marathon is this coming Sunday, and although it’ll be no stroll in the park, I now know I can again run 13 miles in relative comfort. Big Grin I started further west in Hove, but incorporated most of the race’s route and associated hills, and I'm still here so maybe - just maybe, Cardiac Hill is having some benefit.

Starting slowly really is the key. It’s something I learned very early in my running career, but it never ceases to amaze me how often I forget.

The total run took around 2:10, with a loo break and few quick stops to adjust the wind-jacket which spent about 12.5 miles wrapped around my reducing waist! Eek

In some perverse way I’m looking forward to the coming weekend. A PB is very much dependent on the weather, but I’m hoping that the post run Guinness will spur me towards glory.

If Mrs SP gets her act together with the digital camera, I may even post a pic! I’ve instructed her to stand very near the start line, ostensibly so she can capture me keeping pace with the whippets; more honestly, so I look like a fat bloke running rather than a slobbering heap.

Wish me luck guys. Smile
18-02-2004, 09:33 PM,
...wish me luck guys...Rolleyes
18-02-2004, 09:40 PM,
but tonight's last 6 miles before the Brighton half was a circuit of the town finishing up with a sorta-sprint up cardiac hill. 55 minutes, which I am pleased with considering the 2 miles along the seafront were into a stiff headwind.

I've just checked and the forecast for Sunday is a blustery easterly wind Sad . Still, as someone probably said, it's the taking part that counts.

Report to follow........possibly.
18-02-2004, 10:21 PM,
Oh right. Yeah, good luck mate.

Not that you'll need it. You've put in the miles. You'll be right.

Can I go back to sleep now?

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
19-02-2004, 12:53 PM,
Good luck, Andy. I won't be joining you this time but even without my guidance, I'm sure you'll be OK, especially as you've been doing the hills.

Do you have any other races in the pipeline?

Don't skimp on the post-race Guinness. You never know, the company may go bust the next day, and you'll never forgive yourself for not having had [Antonio, take note] just one more pint.

Looking forward to the report...

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-02-2004, 02:22 PM,
Yay, good luck. You'll have no problems I think. Remember, start near the back and you'll spend the whole race overtaking people, start at the front and unless you are Heile Gebrselassie you'll spend the day being overtaken. Psycologically much better the former. When you've only got 5 miles to go, that's kids stuff that you run every week, so you can belt that!! Shame that they dont mark races in KM too often back home as it's hand to split a half into 4 X 5km. First 5 easy, second and third pushing on and last at full pelt, with an extra km for luck. I feel a PB coming on...
19-02-2004, 03:59 PM,
Good luck, SP. I expect you´ll end all right and if you get a PB much better.

Greetings to The Royal Pavillion, The palace pier and so on. I visited Brighton many years ago and I liked it quite a lot.

Greetings from Almería.

Antonio. Smile

20-02-2004, 03:42 PM,
Quote:Originally posted by Seafront Plodder
Report to follow........possibly.
Don't tease! Looking forward to the report of your successful finish.

Good luck.
20-02-2004, 05:12 PM,
Good luck on Sunday, SP. That training hill will stand you in good stead, I'm sure.
22-02-2004, 11:59 PM,
Come on SF where are you?

How'd you get on then?
23-02-2004, 11:50 AM,
Yeah come on SP, we'd love to know how you did. We can't drink for nerves...
Run. Just run.