Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vuelta de La Ria - Betanzos 1/2 30/5/04
17-04-2004, 12:12 PM,
Here we go then. My next challenge. 1hr 25m is what I want. I've got a month to prepare, the ankle is feeling alot better, although there are twinges when I push a bit.

I went for 13.5 km this morning, fitness is still a problem, perhaps there was too much empanada in the two weeks off. I think I can start to build up the mileage again, slowly. For a half marathon I will not need so many miles, I reckon I can keep it aroung 35 per week, including a couple of speed sessions.

On the way to Betanzos there are 3 more halves that I intend to do for the fun of it. The first will be Pontevedra on 2nd May, then Ferrerúa on 9th, then there is one in Vigo on 23rd.

Of these I have done Ferrerúa before, 1h46m was my time. This was the race with octopus, barbequed ribs and ribeiro wine for the competitors last year, so I have to do it again.
20-04-2004, 07:59 AM,
So the running went fairly well last week. 35km with the odd twinge. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, and how to fix it long term. That will be something to experiment with next month.

What can I say about last weekend? I cannot receive UK tv in La Coruña and make do with the utter rubbish that exists on Spanish public TV. But I can listen to Radio 5 Live over the internet. So there I was on Sunday morning, my girlfriend reading the newspaper, me listening to the Flora London Marathon. Added to this I have been checking out the Runners World forums, then along comes Nigel with his fantastic report.

The upshot? I WANNA RUN IN MADRID.
20-04-2004, 10:38 AM,
What a wonderful piece of news, Brian! I´m glad you´re feeling better and can take part at Madrid marathon. I´m looking forward to meeting you at the marathon fair on Saturday morning.

Lots of luck!

Antonio

20-04-2004, 01:12 PM,
That's not how I read it Antonio. Sad
20-04-2004, 05:06 PM,
I really don't know. Common sense tells me not to run. Logic tells me not to. The physio recommended not to. But, to take it easy? Not to stess things too much? To say I am in two minds is an understatement.

Really I am waiting for the volunteer call. When that comes I will be volunteering, I'll be involved and that'll do me for this year. If for some reason they do not call, then perhaps I'll try and run.

I'm taking things a bit easy this week, just in case.
22-04-2004, 09:42 AM,
So that's it then. I will be helping out in the start/finish area on Sunday. I reckon it's the most sensible thing to do anyway. I got the call yesterday that they would like me to help and that made up my mind.

This morning I donned the nike storm pegasus and drove up to la torre de hercules. It was the first time in over 3 months that I have run off road. It was very pleasant, I only ran for 40 minutes, I suppose around 7.5 km. The area around the lighthouse has been kept as a park and there are lots of little pathways to follow, so although from one end to the other the park is about 1 kilometer and halk a km maximum at it's widest, one can do 2 or 3 laps using different paths all the time.

There are still plenty of runners around in La Coruña. i don't think that too many are off to Madrid this weekend. There is a half mara in Porriño where some friends live this weekend and perhaps more are training for that. Last weekend Valladolid played Deportivo in La Coruña and on Saturday I think I must have seen about 10 or so of their supporters out running. Of course Valladolid is much closer to Madrid than here.
22-04-2004, 10:22 PM,
We can all understand the temptation Brian, but I'm sure you're doing the right thing, tough though it is.

It's great that you'll be there to see Antonio storm home though.

Incidentally, a lot of people here are rooting for Deportivo in the Champions league after their amazing performance in the last round.

Anyone but Chelsea for me.

:-)
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ria de Ferrol Half Marathon Riazor Blue 19 10,713 03-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Nigel
  Betanzos Riazor Blue 2 1,868 03-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Antonio247