Did you do Bognor SP?
18-05-2004, 08:36 AM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
I saw in you training diary that you had the Bognor 10 marked as a training 10k, If you did it - how did it go, I'm supposed to be doing Manchester on Sunday, but don't feel any enthusiasm just yet. Any last minute tips anyone??
Phew this is hard work !
18-05-2004, 11:26 AM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
Hi SW, I'm likewise supposed to be running Manchester, although currently nursing a niggle.

Manchester is new to me, so assuming I do make it, I hope to have a look around after the race. Where do you think would be a good place to park ?
18-05-2004, 02:53 PM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
Sadly no SW I didn't quite make that one. It sorta came and went before I realised. Ho hum.
19-05-2004, 11:54 AM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
Hi Nigel, hope you make it, will look out for you...parking, well, if it is accessible, park at the Gmex centre - is signposted once you get towards the centre of the city. But if you are approaching the city from the south, you can park near the Royal Northern College of music. Drive along the Oxford road, past the University buildings( there are loads) and the Royal Infirmary and the museum until you see a building spanning the road, turn left, at traffic lights, -the College of music will be visible from these lights across the road and to the left, - there is a flat car park about 200 hundred yards on your left - pay on entry, about £2 a day. then you can walk back past the college of music and turn left down Oxford Road, past the Metropolitan University and the BBC, if you are starting in the white group, the start will be straight ahead of you...what number have you got? can't remember mine, but will check when I get home. It's a great city, hope you enjoy yourself.
Phew this is hard work !
19-05-2004, 05:02 PM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
Hi SW, thanks for the parking tips. I'm in the orange wave, number 2056, and hope I'll make it to Manchester. Drop me a line off-forum if you plan a Running Commentary celebration Carlsberg after the race in honour of our President.
19-05-2004, 11:08 PM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
Manchester? Ah, the memories. I spent my first yearat university right opposite the Royal Northern College of Music, before the lure of a more bohemian life in the suburbs became irresistible, and I migrated to West Didsbury.

Manchester is a great city. More so than Leeds in my opinion. Some truly astonishing Victorian mock-gothic architecture around the city centre, and fantastic developments in Salford Quays. It was a slum when I was there in the late 70s/early 80s, but is now a kind of futuristic wonderland. The Lowry Theatre and the new Imperial War Museum are glorious buildings.

Nice people too.

What's the race and when is it?

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-05-2004, 09:39 AM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
system wouldn't let me email you direct :-( my number is white (yeh, slower than you, but not in the slowest section!) 6146 I will look out for you at the finish - you will doubtless be there long before me, I am aiming for the hour, hopefully a bit before, but - have contracted a rotten cold this week, so am feeling somewhat lousy - typical,

Never mind, I will be running in pale mauve and gunmetal (thank you Ron Hill) - 'ooh very stylish' I hear you mutter, yeh, well it might be if I was thirty years younger!!!;-)

Andy, the race we are chatting on about is the Great Manchester 10k, not the proper one run by the YMCA, but a mass participation jolly, no one will set any great times, but its a bit of fun. Funny, our first flat was just along the road from the RNCM, my husband was at university here, and once I had finished my degree I joined him and we just never got around to leaving. Good place to live.
Phew this is hard work !
21-05-2004, 10:55 AM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
I was in Cornbrook House, student flats, for a year, right opposite the college. There was a small local pub there with outside loos run by a very grumpy old couple. I suspect the pub has been pulled down now, as, sadly, have quite a few Manchester pubs.

Good luck in the race. Perhaps I'll try to do a Manchester race next year. I feel much more affection for the place than I do for Leeds, though I lived in both for about the same length of time - about 4 years.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-05-2004, 12:18 PM,
Did you do Bognor SP?
I am humbled by the knowledge of Manchester shown around here. I've travelled all over the world, and am even familiar with the furthest reaches of Scotland, yet somehow I have never previously been to Manchester. Just never had a reason to go before, I suppose. I'm ashamed to say that it has been the same with Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle (although I did belatedly tick Geordieland off last year with the Great North Run).

So, at least running is providing the belated excuse to put things right with a visit to another grim northern outpost (sorry, I mean thriving and vibrant cultural metropolis). I'll tell you how it went next week, always assuming I don't get lynched for being an ignorant southerner.

'You can take the man out of Dagenham, but you can't take Dagenham out of the man'. Anon, quite possibly referring to Harry Redknapp (or did they mean me ?) ....