Even hotter breaking news
18-05-2004, 09:20 PM,
Just back.

Thanks for the messages and the emails. Yeah, I got round. I'm a bit puzzled by the official result, as _colin the gadget had me down as about 5 minutes faster, or rather, less slow, than that.

Another curious thing is that the official result seems to have me down as finishing 5 people from the end. But after I finished, I stood by the finish line to clap in a German guy called Willy who I'd run with and chatted to for a long time. There was about 10 minutes and at least 50 people between him and me, and as far as I can remember, they all had race numbers. So I can't explain that.

Anyway, the detail doesn't matter much. I ran a slow marathon, and a marathon that shows that I've not improved since I did Chicago 2 years ago. The times are about 5 minutes apart, so basically the same. This is OK, I knew from the half marathons a couple of months ago that I'd not got any faster, and I'm not too bothered.

Even though the time is slow, I'm actually quite pleased because before the race, I really didn't think I'd make it round at all. I just assumed that without any successful long runs (ie > 14 miles), I'd struggle even more than I did. I was also convinced that my calf would give out but, despite the temptation to use this as an excuse, I have to be honest - it never gave me any trouble at all.

There are some good things to come out of this. I don't feel that I've done myself justice with this marathon, Yes, I'm delighted that I got round but the early training went well, and I was expecting better. In the end, I let things slip too much but I'm being positive about it. I've learnt the lesson, and I'm going to get it right next time. I don't feel any of that anti-climax/don't- want-to-run-for-months feeling. I'm going to get running again within a few days, and aim to do another one in the autumn where I'll do things properly and get round in UNDER five hours. It's pathetic that I blew it at the end, but as long as I learn from it I don't mind. Let's ALL learn from the experience.

Anyway, I don't want to steal all my thunder as I have some entries to do that will explain all this in more detail.

But thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help and advice and the nagging I've had, both on here and by email. It really did make a difference. In fact, it was the difference between doing the Copenhagen marathon and not doing it. It was that important to me, and I thank you.

This one was for you guys.

Cheers

Andy

PS Copenhagen really is a wonderful city, as the blurb says. But I didn't see one internet cafe in 5 days, hence my silence.

PPS for Nigel - Well done re West Ham, just been listening to the commentary. Good luck for the play-off final, though I was looking forward to QPR v West Ham next season, and I'm a great admirer of Dowie, so I'm torn.....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-05-2004, 04:13 AM,
So let me get this straight...

If I... (a) make chips and chocolate my two main food groups; (b) hydrate with copious quantities of beer (which is a sports drink, after all); © motivate myself by watching lots of football; (d) avoid injury by developing a fearful paranoia about pulled calf muscles; and (e) whinge a lot about how unfit I am - then I'll be able to run a marathon?

Has anyone told Hal Higdon??

Actually, I think guru Andy is onto a winner here. I can just see the merchandising opportunities too: Sri Andy's line of sports slippers, Coolmax dressing-gowns and chocolate energy gels, washed down of course with Coach Lynam's Best Extra Training Stout. And needless to say, you can't drink stout without a packet or three of Marathon Andy's Slow Kettle Crisps...

So not only has sloth enabled you to run a marathon, it's going to make you rich as well... need a manager? Southern hemisphere distribution agency....?? How about an R&D guinea pig???

MLC Man
Run. Just run.
19-05-2004, 09:27 AM,
Don't worry, Andy. The photographs clearly show you were well up the field, and probably leading by the way you were acknowledging the crowd.

http://www.photomotion.dk/new_basket.asp...agernr=450

If you ask it, you can even get a slide show of all the pictures.

Here are one or two of the best for now:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

19-05-2004, 09:33 AM,
But, hey, hang on a minute, isn't that the Birmingham Bullring behind you ? I thought you told us you were running in Copenhagen....?

Just a minute - now I've got it. It's another publicity shot for your starring role in the re-make of Bladerunner.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At last, some cheerful news in the Guardian El Gordo 1 8,632 25-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Reading Half date change: bad news for some El Gordo 3 1,956 27-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Copenhagen Marathon Result - Breaking News Nigel 9 3,634 30-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Last Post: El Gordo