Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bit of a mare
22-09-2004, 08:21 AM,
Bit of a mare
Ever mindful that I don't really follow a rigid schedule, I appreciate Nigel and Brian's input regarding the length of long runs between now and New York. Since they are both far better runners than I (and since they agree), I decided to go for what they suggest mainly on the basis that their suggested runs are shorter than I had in mind. Wink

With birthday celebrations in full swing at the weekend, I breezed 5 miles (incorporating The Monster) late on Friday afternoon before I was dragged kicking and screaming down the pub.

This morning therefore, was last weekend's long 16 miler and I duly set the alarm for 4am. Although the duvet was far too heavy for a short while, I was out and running by 5.15

I jacked it in at 11.5 miles, totally shagged out. Sad I had no energy, started to feel a little light-headed, ears started ringing, and legs felt like dead weights. Bugger.

Although not a total disaster, it was some 5 miles less than intended. I do however think that I know enough not to try and make up the miles but just write them off and treat the run as a step-back week, perhaps planning a little better for this coming weekend and hopefully 16 - 18.

Thinking about it, I was trying to run after just 4 hours sleep, with only a banana and a glass of water for brekkie - so perhaps not ideal preparation, and I hope I'm just guilty of not giving the distance the respect it deserves.

Still mightily disappointing though. The first real downer of the campaign.
22-09-2004, 08:38 AM,
Bit of a mare
11.5 miles is a bloody long way on one banana and a glass of water (if only cars were that efficient!)

Next time, try two bananas Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
22-09-2004, 05:26 PM,
Bit of a mare
Most people seem to prefer eating after running, but for my part I can't run well without eating first. Unlike Andy, I absolutely hate running first thing in the morning, especially if it's before breakfast.

I'd say that 11.5 miles is at least 7 miles beyond the wall, under those conditions. So then, that means you've already completed a marathon this week - well done !
23-09-2004, 02:10 PM,
Bit of a mare
Although I prefer going for a run with an empty stomach,
I think that it´s necessary in long runs to drink at least some water every three miles to avoid feeling dehydrated. Besides, It would be good if someone could go with you on a bicycle and give you some drink and cereal bars or fruit, which give you energy when you´ve been running for more than one hour. In addition, it´s more interesting than going on your own.

Good luck!

23-09-2004, 03:05 PM,
Bit of a mare
For my money, the lack of sleep was probably just as important. I rarely get as much as sleep as I'm supposed to, and usually survive on about 6 hours, but if for some reason it's much less than this (and 4 hours would qualify as insufficient), I almost never manage a decent run. The 3 or 4 times over the past 3 years that I've jacked in a run within a mile or two of starting have all been down to a lack of sleep.

That said, 11.5 miles on a banana and a glass of water just isn't enough for most people. Trouble is, if you're planning on getting out at 5 in the morning, it's hard to arrange it so that you eat and are able to give yourself time to digest food. Nigel is right to say that I prefer running early in the morning, but thinking about it, I can't recall ever doing a LONG long run very early in the morning. Usually, marathon-training long runs happen at weekends, when I have the chance to eat then hang around for a couple of hours (and peferably 3 or 4) before getting out.

If I had to attempt a 16 miler in midweek, early in the morning, I would probably do the same as SP - have a banana and a glass of water (any more than that would cause other problems) - but take some fluid and some energy gels with me. Many people find these concoctions unpalatable (I seem to recall a runner describing them as "confected snot"**), but I find them quite bearable, and they usually do the job.

If it's the first disappointing run of the campaign, I'd say you're doing pretty damn well, SP. You still did 11.5 miles which is not to be sneezed at. Be philosophical. Every training campaign brings with it loads of new lessons to be learned. As long as this disappointment teaches you something, it will have had some value.

-----------------------
** It may have been me.

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.